Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anybody seen one in Canada yet?

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Howdy.For 9,3x74 brass in canada you should try Ralph Martini in Cranbrook,BC.I bought9,3x64 brass afew weeks ago and they were relatively cheap.I believe,he sells RWS and Norma.Case life with RWS is about 6 times used in the 74.I believe the best way to stretch the distance with the 74 is to buy a scope that has those TDS reticles.Once you try it on the shooting range and get comfortable with it,there should be no reason why you could not be using your 74 for up to 300yds.Even though,some of the heavier bullets might not be expanding reliably enough,since the velocity is getting a bit low for expansion.
Oh before i forget don't get too hung up on RWS brass,since Norma brass is made in the same company with the same maschines.They only thing that is different is the headstamp.I talked to a guy from Austria,who works for RWS and when i said that RWS is the more superior brass,he just smiled at me and shook his head.There is actually 4 different brands of cases made by the same company and the same maschinery.I thought that's unbelievable, since RWS is way more expensive than all the others.On my trip to Austria i will try to get more info about RWS brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Brenneke.
My mistake :0, has anybody seen a #1 in 9.3X74R (that they didn't import themselves)in Canada yet.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
Has anybody seen one in Canada yet?

Hello SakoAlberta....Yes! Rockchuck posting on CGN has one that he ordered over a year ago...He told me when he ordered it he thought it was going to be sold in the Tropical model...He loves it...
check out his thread here....(for a little titillation) grin www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138353

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Now I really want one!!! Hope more get here before another yr!!

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks Brenneke for the tip on RWS vs Norma brass...Norma brass up here will be running over $220.00/100 incl. shipping and taxes from what I have been quoted... cry

Sako Alberta...pm sent regarding avialability of Ruger #1..
Just ordered one.. grin

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Nrut. PM in your box. Mine's on order too!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would be careful about this as I have Norma, RWS, Lapua and other brass in 9.3 and in 100s of rounds each. The specs differ strongly among these and the case lots/manufacture date also has a lot to do with it. While contemporary RWS and Norma brass may well be made the same, I have heard this before, this has not always been the case and older cases differ markedly.

I would weigh and measure for volume EVERY lot of brass I use and then re-work loads for that specific lot. Euro. case specs and chambers differ among makers FAR more than SAAMI ones and I find that very careful adjustment of dies plus meticulous handling of brass is essential in loading for this round, far more than for a .270-'06, for example.

Try to get a large supply of ONR brass for any 9.3 you do buy, it IS $$$$$, but, worth it in terms of hassle-free loading. You DO NOT want to "tie up" a double rifle or drilling, this COSTS!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spence,

I got my last bunch of RWS brass from Huntington's. When I do get hold of more, I'd like to bump up to 2600-2700 with the 250gr TSX. This latest batch of Norma brass may be perfectly fine, but my previous experience, as well of that of kute, and a local friend, makes me a bit gun shy when using it. We'll see how many firings it holds up to.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
brenneke,

The RWS/Norma thing suprises me, as I've used both in the same rifle and die set, and the RWS was vastly superior. It even had a different finish/appearence to my eye. Perhaps I got hold of a bum lot of Norma? Until I have some definitive proof, I'll be prone to use RWS.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,

You got the usual Norma brass, in my experience. I use a lot of 9,3X74R and covet every stick if RWS brass I can scrounge. Norma brass in the Wby ammo is not just IDEAL, either, IMO. It beats S&B by a long stretch, however.

I may be selling a whole bunch of guns soon. Keep your eye out if you still are looking for a drilling.

Kind Regards,
L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L2S,

They sure seem different to me as well. I kinda dipped in to the gun fund, and bought a lathe, but keep me posted, if you sell any drillings!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,

About everything will be getting sold, it appears. I'll let you know well beforehand.

BC

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first photo looks like one from the Ruger site but there are two that are of the actual rifle:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976856593.aspx
Not worth the time/expense for me to import so I'll just have to wait. frown

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by akjeff
brenneke,

The RWS/Norma thing suprises me, as I've used both in the same rifle and die set, and the RWS was vastly superior. It even had a different finish/appearence to my eye. Perhaps I got hold of a bum lot of Norma? Until I have some definitive proof, I'll be prone to use RWS.

Jeff

Yes,i do partially agree with you,but depending on what patch you were using.According to my sources-RWS allegedly started manufacturing Norma,Geco and some of the Sellier&Bellot brass since the last 2 years.I bought 200 9,3x64 RWS brass.Although, i love RWS brass,this last purchase i am not too happy with.Brass seems to be a bit more brittle than what i'm used too.I get only half the reloads out of the patch compared to the older one. cryThere appears to be a bit of a change going on and i did speak to a RWS Rep.in Austria about there quality of brass.Of course,his answer was that predictable-i will look into it thing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NFG,

I realy do appreciate the pressure data. We often just look at velocity and powder charges for given velocities when working up loads. In our prescious older drillings and double rifles, pressure can be poison. I am always looking for ways to get my best accuracy, while keeping pressures down.

Thanks again! wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Your very welcome, Luv...As I've said many times - NOT to toot my horn, flame anyone, deride the derth of knowledge, dis you, laugh behind my hand, snicker, look down my nose, or think you a barbarian, or anything of the sort, it is an observation from many years of working out problems for folks and reading different forums...I say again...THAT a vast majority of people who reload don't have a clue about the bottom line of reloading, and many won't do the extra work to learn, prefering to whine for the most part. Most of the time it is defensive posturing or just plain macho pecker waving that gets in the way of advancement in this sport.

Reading all the fine print in any recent reloading manual is a good place to start to understand that "PRESSURE IS EVERYTHING". It amazes me some of the arguments that come up, really pointing out just how much dis, mis and just plain bad information gets bandied about on the different forums. Reminds me of some of my old drinking buddies after the haze of JD fumes covers everyone.

One good example from the past...I bought the first Oehler 33 Chrono that hit my area...way back. Yes...I'm fairly serious about this bit of fun.(going back to the mid 50's) I took it to the range most weekends and chrono'ed anyone's rifle...with certain restrictions...and for my data collection. One day a person I knew for many years wanted me to chrono his new 264 Win. He showed me the load he used, he fired the first 3 rounds on his target so I could see the group and where they landed...didn't want to blow away my sky screens or his rifle...then I fired 3 rounds over the chrono. The velocity was some 200 f/s less than the book's, which was shot from a universal fixture and 30" barrel, I surmize. His barrel was 24". I'm not a small person...in physical size, thought or action, mostly quiet, smile and laugh a lot, but my aggressive side has kept me alive when others fell by the wayside...BUT, anyone who knows me, or not, ever gets up in my face without serious consequences. This guy was a good 200 pounder but that didn't help him. After he was picked up and settled down we discussed the "why's" of the difference between my chrono figures and the books. He came away with a new respect for several factors. We men seem to resort to yelling or pounding before reason take over.

My best recommendation for anyone wanting to get up to date is purchase or download any one of the several available "EXTERIOR BALLISTICS" programs, such as "LOAD FROM A DISK", NECO's "QUICKLOAD", or one of the several Powley windowing programs such as "WINLOAD" or if you are a computer buff, there are several W3.1 or 6.22 command line programs still out there that are fun to play with. Goto Steve's Pages http://stevespages.com/page8.htm for some freeby's or just chase the net.

6mm BR, http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html, is a very good site to learn from. Everything pertaining to benchrest, small groups and loading how to's works now matter what the size the case or bullet. This isn't brain surgery or tossing a Hubble into space, simple physics rules most actions.

If you have any particular bullet or powder you are interested in data for the 9.3x74R, post the parameters and I, or someone, should come up with interesting information for you.

My philosophy is "Start low, work up slow, and let the rifle and targets show you the way".

Breakfast is over, time to go make another muzzle brake.

Enjoy

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But pounding, yelling, and pissing on each others' feet is what we men live for; ask any woman... crazy

I do need loads for 9,3X74R with 320gr Woodleigh Protected Tips and solids. I want a reliable load for the 12/9,3 Tikka double trigger 512 I'm taking as back up gun and as Francolin & guinea medicine for sundowner goodies.

I already have some 2,975 fps loads for the 250gr BTSP bullets... shocked shocked grin wink

Last edited by luv2safari; 03/28/07.

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Women or highschool girls???

Your 250 data sounds to me like you're piddling into the wind and missing my leg completely, mixed up the digits or being...what?. When or if you get real I will post the data I developed...or not. I don't mind taking a little time to lend a hand, but I don't suffer phools at all. Lifes way too short and I've been to the circus many times.

Enjoy

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.