Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Gunner bought both of my bear guns. Im chit out of luck.. cry

LOL, I got yo address, say the word and i'll send ya one of em to use. grin

grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There’s a local guy here that guided every year for decades in the Yukon. His do-everything rifle was a pre-64 338 WM stoked with 250 Partitions. That rifle accounted for over 50 grizzlies.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Gunner bought both of my bear guns. Im chit out of luck.. cry

LOL, I got yo address, say the word and i'll send ya one of em to use. grin

grin

UH-OH, I forgot to mention what's going on with your old M-71 saddle scabbard rifle. blush laugh

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hudge
I have a new Ruger Hawkeye Stainless/synthetic .338 WM, that I am working on or will be working on the in the near future. The wife bought it for me as retirement gift from the AF.

And it will do anything you want it to do in Alaska. Great rifle. I used one for a lot of years up there. I'm partial to the skeleton stock with a Limbsaver pad. Stoke it with 250 grain Nosler Partition and you are good to go.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cboujack...How’d you think a 338 WM stuffed with 250g NPT would do for ya on a half-ton Brownie? I mean a very pissed off Brownie? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Based on results I've seen in AK, a .338WM with nosler 250s works great. Latest one I know of personally with this combo was killed at 7 yards last year, coming fast, full frontal angle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I have a new Ruger Hawkeye Stainless/synthetic .338 WM, that I am working on or will be working on the in the near future. The wife bought it for me as retirement gift from the AF.

And it will do anything you want it to do in Alaska. Great rifle. I used one for a lot of years up there. I'm partial to the skeleton stock with a Limbsaver pad. Stoke it with 250 grain Nosler Partition and you are good to go.

That's kind of my plan, I just hope it handles good. I can't wait to get home in January for R&R, and hopefully get it all set up. I don't know if I'll get it to the range or not, but I'm going to get it scoped and some trigger work done for sure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

That's kind of my plan, I just hope it handles good. I can't wait to get home in January for R&R, and hopefully get it all set up. I don't know if I'll get it to the range or not, but I'm going to get it scoped and some trigger work done for sure.

I've had 5 qty. 338 WM's, including the Ruger 77 Stainless (mine had open sights too). The Ruger didn't shoot worth a damn.

All but the Ruger had 22" barrels, and that's my preference.

If I wanted another 338 WM I'd get a SS M70 magnum action and use whatever make of barrel done in the Douglas no.3 Contour, finished at 22". It would go in a Bansner stock, PT&G Al bottom metal, NECG open sights, and a simple fixed X scope in QD mounts.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If a Kimber Talkeetna had a 20-22" bbl and an open trigger design like the NH M70's it'd be pretty much perfect for anything one wanted to do with a 375H&H IMO.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For whatever reason, I could not edit this prior post.
The stock on the M70 416 is a HS Precision.
Also will add, I am not a dedicated bear hunter.
But, whatever rifle and scope combination that I am using for moose is also chosen to be suitable for bear at close range to 200 yds.

When I am the single focus of a nervous / unhappy grizzly's attention at 25 yds or less, that bear becomes a very big bear regardless of its actual physical size.
I might extend that distance to 40 to 50 yds. That is only a couple of heart beats away. And at those distances and circumstances, my heart is beating pretty damn fast when the bear is focusing on me. I believe the outcome between a 400 pound or 800 pound grizzly making contact will be determined more by the bear's attitude than by size. Their speed, agility, strength, and at times determination are amazing to me.

Originally Posted by ldmay375
My choice to meet the listed requirements would be my 416 Ruger Alaskan. It has the factory 20" barrel with the factory sights, McMillan Classic stock. It currently has a 1.5-8x42mm scope with illuminated #4, mounted in Alaska Arms rings. I would likely swap the scope to a 1.1-4 or 1-6, maybe. This is currently set up as a primary moose rifle. The bullet would be the same 350 TSX or TTSX.

2nd choice would be my 375 Ruger Alaskan, factory barrel and sights. This one is in a McMillan Hunter stock with a Kahles 1.1-4x24mm with 7a reticle, mounted in Alaska Arms rings. Bullet would be 270 grain TSX or the LRX version.

I like these because of the cartridges and the short 20" barrels. The shorter barrels are easier to maneuver in the tangles for me. And both are easy enough to shoot in non-perfect positions.
Other top contenders would be M70's, Classic stainless 416 Rem and 375 H&H. Factory sights, 22" barrels, McMillan Supergrade stocks, Tally base/rings, 1.1-4 and 1-6x24mm scopes. Bullets would be the same as used for the Ruger versions.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Since we’ve had a few thread “dust-ups” about bear attacks on hunters and guides in the last several months with opinions running amuck....Let’s build a good bear rifle that you would want as your primary rifle as a hunter trying to fill a tag for yourself or being used as a guide rifle for protection of both yourself, your hunter and following up on a wounded bear your hunter may have made a poor shot on.

I got curious about this after reading an article on big bear guides. Phil Shoemaker (458Win) was pictured with a rifle that looked like it had seen a few hunts in its day...

Don’t ask me questions!...Just write what you’d want, need and expect from the rifle in a caliber of your choice. Stock, action, barrel length and optics, iron sites or both.

Doesn’t have to be a custom build...If there is a production rifle you’d want. Add any changes to it you or a Smith would do to improve it.
😎

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree. Though, I would also like a floor plate.
The barrel length is easily remedied. The trigger style and floor plate not.

I have a Montana in the 325 WSM. The trigger style is the only thing that I can find to complain about on it.
The same and only complaint, that I have with new M70's design.
The Talkeetna 375 certainly feels good to me.

Originally Posted by horse1
If a Kimber Talkeetna had a 20-22" bbl and an open trigger design like the NH M70's it'd be pretty much perfect for anything one wanted to do with a 375H&H IMO.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I got curious about this after reading an article on big bear guides. Phil Shoemaker (458Win) was pictured with a rifle that looked like it had seen a few hunts in its day...

I think you could start (and stop) right there for the guide's rifle, and refer to his sig line for the hunter's version of that rifle.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I agree. Though, I would also like a floor plate.
The barrel length is easily remedied. The trigger style and floor plate not.

I have a Montana in the 325 WSM. The trigger style is the only thing that I can find to complain about on it.
The same and only complaint, that I have with new M70's design.
The Talkeetna 375 certainly feels good to me.

Originally Posted by horse1

Curious why you'd want a floor-plate? Especially on a rifle that HAS TO work. I've used a Winchester M70 of some sort for just shy of 30yrs. You can throw the odd M700 and 1500/Vanguard in there, a smattering of Kimber Montanas, and even 1 A-Bolt. This fall while elk hunting I tripped the floor plate on my NH low 5 digit SS Classic M70 300Win mag. Elk had taken 2 hits and wasn't going anywhere but was on his feet. I cycled the bolt and "Click". Opened the bolt, looked down at the rifle and there's 2 loaded rounds lying in the dirt at my feet and the floor plate hanging open. I dust off one of the rounds at my feet, chamber it, hit the elk a 3rd time and he drops for good. Sure glad I didn't NEED that 3rd round to save myself or someone else. Given the chance and assuming proper operation, I'll opt for a blind magazine every time.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Probably the biggest reason is the handiness for cleaning. Next would be for clearing a jam on a rifle that has to work but, did not for whatever reason.
I agree anything can happen even after 30 years of not happening. And if made and operated by man, nothing is infallible.
I too have a few M70's, Rugers, Interarms X's, and others in larger medium bores including a CZ synthetic in 458 Lott. Thus far no issues with the floor plates opening if fitted and assembled/ reassembled correctly or not mechanically worn.
But, I agree anything can happen. Just my preference, I am not advocating someone else's choice.
I have had used ones with floor plate screws. Which usually indicated there was an existing mechanical issue. Or with inside the bow releases, someone's finger had activated the release during recoil.

Last edited by ldmay375; 11/29/18. Reason: Spelling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As someone said most times the rifle you drag along for a hunt up here in Alaska usually becomes your bear rifle as well. Well this is the rifle I used this yr. It shoots 145 ELD-X very well, carries very well. Yes its a 270 Winchester.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm pretty sure hunting a brown bear is not in my future but if by a miracle it happened I'd take my 300 win mag with 200 NPs. I use it for almost all my big game hunts. It has a 6x on it, I'd probably consider swapping a 3x that I have on it for a BB hunt.

I guide and hunt around Grizzlies here and carry a pre64 70 in 06 with 220s. It is a standard but I swapped a 22" barrel in. Has a Lyman peep.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
For a bear defense gun, I would go with a pump Remington (Model 6, 760, 7600 in different eras) in .35 Whelen shooting 250 grain bullets. I spent some of my younger years shooting doves and some quail with an 870 and shucking one is second nature for me. I'd probably send it off somewhere and have some fancy durable/slick coating put on it.

I also have a 20" stainless Ruger in .375R with a 4x Zeiss that I bought after packing out a deer in the dark, near Yellowstone NP, and cutting fresh bear tracks on top of mine. The warning brochure that Wyoming F&G puts in with your tag when you are hunting around the park will make the hair on your neck stand up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've an aged Winchester in the larder(OEM 22 Hornet),that a Sourdough largely cut his teeth on. It has over 100 Brown Bear to it's credit and over 200 Eagles(Bounty days) and some 500++ Seals. While the numbers aren't really lineal,they are certainly ascending.

When you only have,what you have...it likely can't be pressed into service and fair well.

He shot a "smidge".......................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've an aged Winchester in the larder(OEM 22 Hornet),that a Sourdough largely cut his teeth on. It has over 100 Brown Bear to it's credit and over 200 Eagles(Bounty days) and some 500++ Seals. While the numbers aren't really lineal,they are certainly ascending.

When you only have,what you have...it likely can't be pressed into service and fair well.

He shot a "smidge".......................(grin)

That's pretty darn cool, Did he say what he used for bullets or whatever was available at the time?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 44mc, 35, 10 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.