Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What would it cost to get my rifle rebarreled and rechamberd? I currently have a 30-06 and would like to rebarrel to 6.5X55.
Do you buy the barrel blank and then have a it chambered by a smith, or can you buy them already chambered for your desired caliber.
I know the barrel cost is dependent on the maker, I am thinking Douglas, good quality less expensive.
Does the smith cost include bluing if I go that route or is it just smarter to go with stainless?
Is cutting to a specific length part of the cost?
Will the bolt face have to be altered, I figure that will be an additional cost
What is a ballpark cost, I am totally new to this?
Lots of questions.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 for a Douglas barrel, possibly more for an air guage quality. Around $300-$350 for a higher quality barrel- Rock, Bartlein, Lilja, Shilen, etc..... figure about $350 for threading, chambering, set headspace, etc.... Truing up your bolt face would be extra is necessary- it usually isn't unless you're really trying to squeeze that last little bit out of it. Bluing is extra- depending on if it is salt bluing or soft rust it can run from $150-$180 for salt bluing up to twice that for quality rust bluing. These are rough numbers, but should get you in the neighborhood.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Sheister
Bluing is extra- depending on if it is salt bluing or soft rust it can run from $150-$180 for salt bluing up to twice that for quality rust bluing. These are rough numbers, but should get you in the neighborhood.

other shops get that much for bluing a barrel action? I better raise my prices I'm ripping myself off.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

look at Pac Nor...been using them for 20 years.....never a bad one

you can send them your entire barreled action...they'll pull down

and install new SS barrel....square/true action....thread & chamber new barrel

Good quality work & products......do the 8 twist on your 6.5x55...yes....

standard 308/30-06 bolt face works just fine with metric Swede cases

http://pac-nor.com/barrels/

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Sheister
Bluing is extra- depending on if it is salt bluing or soft rust it can run from $150-$180 for salt bluing up to twice that for quality rust bluing. These are rough numbers, but should get you in the neighborhood.

other shops get that much for bluing a barrel action? I better raise my prices I'm ripping myself off.

Different areas charge different rates. Most of the guys around here don't do bluing any more due to EPA rules and accountability paperwork. Also, that usually includes any polishing required. I hadn't had a rifle blued in quite some time and went into my local shop to check and that is what I was quoted for a salt blue job.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I gave up hot bluing about a dozen years ago due to (1) lack of demand and (2) about a 300% increase in price of bluing chemicals.. At the time a good bluing job on a rifle cost my customers between $150-200 - and that included any/all polishing etc..

I'm glad that service went away.. I need bluing services maybe twice/year and those go to a shop about 75 miles west of me..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What receiver are you using? Douglas makes a good barrel. If it is a hunting rifle I would get a smith that you are comfortable with. I personally wouldn't fool with anything but the fit and chamber. If you aren't BR shooting, all of the "squaring&so forth" is a waste of your money. Most 30/06 rifles will pull a 6.5X55.
Redneck is a good guy to use.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
I gave up hot bluing about a dozen years ago due to (1) lack of demand and (2) about a 300% increase in price of bluing chemicals.. At the time a good bluing job on a rifle cost my customers between $150-200 - and that included any/all polishing etc..

I'm glad that service went away.. I need bluing services maybe twice/year and those go to a shop about 75 miles west of me..

maybe that's why I'm so busy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

It's very possible... smile Now I know where to send stuff for bluing.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

It's very possible... smile Now I know where to send stuff for bluing.. laugh laugh

bluing, plateing, coating

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What rifle? 98 Mauser? Rem, Winchester?

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm thinking you could go out and buy a darn nice new 6.5 for less money, then sell the 06 and it's even better . Bluing included ,you are probably talking $700

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.