Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My son wants a new lens for his birthday. I'm not a photography guy, so I don't know what's good and what's not.

He has a Sony A6000 camera. He does a lot of wildlife photography. I'm looking at the

Sony FE 70-300mm SEL70300G F4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens

It's a bit spendy so before I buy, I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

Jim
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't speak to the lens specifically, but I'd not go that route or expense unless the kid is truly passionate about his efforts.

Only raised one son, and he frequently made requests where interest died on the vine after a week or so.

If he is dedicated, however, then the price is not unreasonable for quality glass.

Google up " Sony FE 70-300mm SEL70300G F4.5-5.6 G OSS' plus the word "review", and one should find plenty of evaluations on the web.

If he is shooting a crop sensor camera, then one is essentially buying a 150 to 450 or 160 to 480 mm piece of glass which can be quite adequate for wildlife. Google up his camera model to answer that question.

Most professional and serious hobby folks tend toward the Nikon and Canon brands as they have almost unlimited selections for lenses.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/29/18.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 and use it quite a bit for wildlife. Sometimes could use more reach but for the most part, on a crop camera, it works OK

Last edited by duckster; 12/01/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's an awesome lens. With the crop sensor you have a 105-450mm effect. That is terrific out of the gate before post production cropping.
Of course give us a call, mention the foum and we will hook you up

Joel

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a like new FE 4.5-5.6/100-400 GM OSS which would be perfect for wildlife photography.......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a turd of a lens. Slow,over priced and an easy pass.

It is NOT a Critter Getter....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
truth, get a prime.

NRA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Prime" is moot...as lots of them Suck Ass.

Nice fence though!.................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I dont know much about the Sony line up but, its pretty likely for the budget that's implied that a mid length prime might be available capable of producing quality shots and something that could be grown with. Quality lenses that cover wide focal lengths are very expensive and not terribly common. I think people sometimes get frustrated that they can't create things that meet their expectations with these compromise lenses. I think maybe it's more fulfilling to give up some reach but, be capable of producing quality work within those limitations.

NRA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pdXammo
Quality lenses that cover wide focal lengths are very expensive and not terribly common.

Not sure what strikes you as "very expensive", but there are several very good zoom lenses that can be had for close to the price of OP's "a bit spendy" example ($1200). On a Canon the non-IS 70-200 2.8L is one, as is the 24-70 2.8L. Tamron 15-30 2.8. The 70-200 2.8 from them is good too.

All those are common enough you could have 20 of each delivered to your house in the space of a week. There are some monster primes out these for sure, but for someone limited by budget they will all be less bang for the buck than any of the above and then some.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Speaking more in the super zoom range. These lenses are not typically associated with exceptional quality. You'll notice you never see Canon 100-400L used professionally , Nikon has one you'll see occasionally but, generally pros will always rock a prime. This changes when you hit the 70-200 2.8, this is an ubiquitous part of a pro kit. However that Sony is about three times what I expected it to cost, perhaps that is a decent option? I looked at that lens lineup and there aren't many options and the 70-200/2.8 is twice what the OP is already hedging on. Wildlife is not my discipline but, anytime I have shot an animal with the 70-200 it was at 200 so not much utility in the zoom function. If one were inclined to blind up and such that might be different I suppose.. Honestly, at least at this point, the lens lineup for this body is not optimal for the discipline be inquired about. Maybe Sigma or Tamron has a good option though?
I don't like that the lens in question has a relatively small maximum aperture size and that is variable to boot. This would tend to pigeon hole a shooter into the snapshot box and stifle creative development. I feel like the recipient might always shoot max aperture and zoom for wildlife and then why are you using a zoom instead of a prime while being stuck with all the downsides of the zoom and enjoying none of the benefits?

NRA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The greater the zoom ratio,the greater the hit in IQ and lens speed on the average. Hint.

The Canon 100-400 is legendary Pro Glass and doubly so with the Version 2 and it's innate ability to better support an extender for long reach,on top of the very much improved relative IQ,across the zoom ratio and aperture sizings. The IS is also a real improvement too. Hint.

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to be better served by asking questions...than giving "answers".

HINT..................

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The Canon 100-400 is legendary Pro Glass

Said no one who gets paid to shoot, ever... Pretty typical glass for overdollared consumer hobbyists. Fun for about a year before the distinct design compromises cause them to lose interest or they just don't know the difference. It's always interesting when persons assume they know everything or make assumptions such as thinking they know about who they are talking to yet, with every word they belie the depth of their knowledge like somehow showing a pile of bodies is a bona fide. Maybe I have insights about what paid working media uses as I have glanced down the sidelines to my right and glanced to my left but, please keep telling persons looking to spend a few hundred bucks to enjoy their hobby and grow how awesome your 1d is...

If your names not in the title, it's probably meant to solicit a range of opinions and serves to help the OP and not meant as an opportunity for self-aggrandizement. Hint...

Last edited by pdXammo; 12/26/18.

NRA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know more than a few Pro's and NOBODY doesn't have a 100-400...due simply,it is THE most for the least(mass,length,focal coverage and IQ).

I've a touch of Faith,in a 1D or 1DS's relative abilities,when gunning a 100-400 aboard same.

Knowing me,I'm prolly sandbagging,more than a fhuqking "smidge".

Hint.

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to be better served by asking questions...than giving "answers".

Laughing!.............

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I bought him the lens for his birthday, which incidentally Christmas. He's used it almost every day and is happy with it. You can check out his photos on instagram under his name of novanut1. I'd be interested in your comments about his photography. He is not on the campfire, so he won't see your comments. Thanks, Jim

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Post up a few shots here. Seems Instagram wants me to sign up to view anything.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.