Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
700 is quite a poke, I'd have to walk 4 football fields first.

It is amazing how fast a 270 and Wallmart ammo will turn an easy poke into an insurmountable object šŸ˜ƒ

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
OP,

Jacked up collar bone and deer- 6mm Creedmoor, fast twist 243, or 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy.

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

A do-all rifle for 700yd deer...don't drink the CMKoolaid if actual 700yd shots are likely. The 6.5 cal is likely a good choice, but not the small-capacity CM case. If most of your shots will be closer, and you'd like the option of maybe learning how to shoot animals to 700, then the CM is not a bad choice, with the right bullets. A 700 yd shot in OK is not Creedmoor-friendly, in my opinion. You'll need more speed.

And there are a lot of great off-the-shelf options for rifles now, like the Tikka, or for a bit more money, the Barrett Fieldcraft. A lot of guys think these two constitute the perfect hunting rifle. Just make sure you are pushing enough lead if your goal is actually 700yd hunting. I hunt and shoot in the mountains at higher altitudes where the air is less dense, and even mild wind gets pretty difficult to call at 600yds, which is the farthest I practice. I'd not hunt a CM at 700yd for big animals.

There isnā€™t an issue at 700 with the Creedmoor and the right bullet. I donā€™t, and havenā€™t, had a problem at that range on elk and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

A bullet that impacts the animal with enough velocity to expand/upset will kill just fine. I get high hit rates past 900 with the CM, but the bullets do not have enough impact velocity to upset.

Form,

Do you prefer the Berger or Hornady and if it's Hornady is it the M or X.....Thanks

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 16bore
700 is quite a poke, I'd have to walk 4 football fields first.

Lmao! I agree....What ever happened to actual hunting, how do hunters actually get close enough to kill game with a bow?.......šŸ˜.....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sbrown
I wonder why all the firearm makers don't chamber the 250 Savage in their lineup. A great caliber for deer and below using the right bullet.

Because too many guys are convinced most of their shots will be on the far side of 300 yards.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by yukon254
The perfect rifle dosent exist, but looking for it is fun! 700-yards is a loooonggg ways. It can be done, by a very few, sometimes....

Sure it does. I have a bunch of them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys for some feedback, i generally dont shoot at deer at 700yds or coyotes on a everday or season. Where i hunt at though is usually in the farm ground in the river bottoms. the 2 fields i generally hunt are both a mile long and 500-700 yds wide and they are back to back so its actually 2 miles long and 500-700yds wide. The hard part to hunting the deer is the wind shifts alot next to red river and at the lightest hint of pressure the deer will come out way down there. Generally my shots are 300-550 yds and been shooting a 6.5 creedmoor and hornady 143ELDX that i gave to my daughter ( she earned it though, youth season when she was 7 she killed a toe head at 277yds double lunged him, told her if she killed another deer with it she could have it, she did and she didnt forget what i said lol).

I have been looking at the barrett in 6.5cm and the Christensen arms ridgeline in 6.5cm but in no hurry so wanted to see what others thought. Not a fan of the 25-06 on deer, may have had a bad run of remington corelokt but several years ago i had a very accurate ruger tang safety, shot a nice buck at 200yds behind the shoulder, he trotted 40yds and stopped, looked at the blood coming out and it wasnt much so i put another one in about an inch behind it. Seen him go into the woods, gave him 45mins, eased in and barely had a blood trail for 100yds and it went away, zig zagged back and fourth and even got a dog after it and didnt find him. I knew exactly where the first shot went and very upset with the round, shot a doe at 300yds and had same thing happen, got rid of it that night. And for the 270 in my experience i have not shot one that kicked 1.5 times harder than my 30-06 with 180gr. May just be the few that i have shot but believe i would cry if shot one right now and then have to go see my shoulder doc and listen to him lol.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most game is taken within 200 yards

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by saskfox

Not on the internet.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Also been looking at the Seekins havak in 6.5 , just hadnā€™t got to handle one to see how heavy it is.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by saskfox

Not on the internet.

drover

This ^^

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ridgeline in 6.5 prc would get a look from me, you could load it down until your shoulder gets better, then hop it back up. Factory stuff gets about 250 additional fps compared to the CM.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I'd get a T3 in .243 Win and shoot it until my shoulder healed enough I could get what I really wanted. If it was going to stay recoil sensitive (which sometimes happens) then that would be a big factor in my decision.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
.243 and rebarrel later to .260?

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/30/18.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
when you find it, let me know. grin

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you've chosen the cartridge and have experience with it and confidence in it. Those are probably most important in choosing a rifle IMO. The only thing I can say about having a 270 that kicked so hard you couldn't handle it is you probably had a rifle with a really poor stock fit or design. Another stock design, with the proper recoil pad and fit would probably be a pussycat to shoot. Same with just about any rifle .

I haven't had a chance to handle the Fieldcrafts yet, but from all accounts they are a great rifle. Depending on your budget there are plenty of 6.5 CM rifles available and lots of time to try a few of them before next season....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
OP,

Jacked up collar bone and deer- 6mm Creedmoor, fast twist 243, or 6.5 Creedmoor. Easy.

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

A do-all rifle for 700yd deer...don't drink the CMKoolaid if actual 700yd shots are likely. The 6.5 cal is likely a good choice, but not the small-capacity CM case. If most of your shots will be closer, and you'd like the option of maybe learning how to shoot animals to 700, then the CM is not a bad choice, with the right bullets. A 700 yd shot in OK is not Creedmoor-friendly, in my opinion. You'll need more speed.

And there are a lot of great off-the-shelf options for rifles now, like the Tikka, or for a bit more money, the Barrett Fieldcraft. A lot of guys think these two constitute the perfect hunting rifle. Just make sure you are pushing enough lead if your goal is actually 700yd hunting. I hunt and shoot in the mountains at higher altitudes where the air is less dense, and even mild wind gets pretty difficult to call at 600yds, which is the farthest I practice. I'd not hunt a CM at 700yd for big animals.

There isnā€™t an issue at 700 with the Creedmoor and the right bullet. I donā€™t, and havenā€™t, had a problem at that range on elk and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

A bullet that impacts the animal with enough velocity to expand/upset will kill just fine. I get high hit rates past 900 with the CM, but the bullets do not have enough impact velocity to upset.

Form, you aren't most shooters. What you presuppose is that the bullet is going to hit the vitals when someone who doesn't shoot many thousands of rounds a year is on the trigger.

I'm not saying the CM can't, just that there are FAAAR better cartridges for a 700yd gun. Even though it works for you, I'm sure you can agree that it is not optimal. Hornady asserts that it is not optimal. The name of the cartridge designates what it was designed for, and what it is best for. Yes, people can make hits on animals at long ranges with it, when they know how to shoot it really well, but there are other of-the-shelf options that are better for several reasons.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a custom .270 WSM for sale that could be a perfect hunting rifle. Recoil is low and it pretty consistently shoots .5 MOA at 800 yards if I do my part. Stainless Stiller action, carbon fiber Manners Stock, Jewell trigger, can include dies and 700 Berger 140 grain hunting VLD's as well. Contact me if you're interested.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just stretched my 18" carbine .375 Winchester Savage 99 to almost 500 yards blowing up rocks. You might be surprised what the rifles already in your safe are capable of. smile

I guess most people think bullets hit an imaginary wall at 300 yards and fall to the ground?

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I just stretched my 18" carbine .375 Winchester Savage 99 to almost 500 yards blowing up rocks. You might be surprised what the rifles already in your safe are capable of. smile

I guess most people think bullets hit an imaginary wall at 300 yards and fall to the ground?

Yes sir I agree, have several in the safe, but most are pretty heavy or got more recoil than I want right now, shot my skeleton stock ruger in 260 and after 3 shots with 129gr superformance made my shoulder tender for a couple days, funny thing though after I shot 3 hogs didnā€™t feel sore at all lol, got a muzzle brake coming for my 308 to try but itā€™s pretty heavy, have wanted a surgeon action and have talked to John Beanland a few times but he was 6 months behind and I ran across a 308 with surgeon action and bottom metal, McMillan stock, and either Krieger or Bartlein barrel that Beanland put together with only couple hundred rounds, then broke my collar bone before I got to shoot it, I look at it a lot but when I get the brake gonna try it. Itā€™s pretty heavy too.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Barrett Fieldcraft, 21" 6 Creedmoor. Factory 108 Hornady ELDM Ammo. (If you don't reload)

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.