Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Barrett Fieldcraft, 21" 6 Creedmoor. Factory 108 Hornady ELDM Ammo. (If you don't reload)

You get good expansion on animals with the Hornady match? I have used the amax with good luck but hadn’t tried the new amax’s

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

The Savage model 99 is a fast handling hunting rifle that shoots with amazing accuracy. This rifle is a .308 that has taken antelope for me way out there at approx 300 yards or so. Stalking within 300 yards of an animal is not terribly difficult. If it were me, I'd cancel the 700 yard requirement.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MRC X3 6.5 PRC.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I probably won’t be shooting deer or coyotes at 700 yds, more likely 200-500 and hopefully all inside 200 but the reason I want it to go 700 is I like to stretch my rifles out way past what I would be shooting at an animal at. If it rings out 3/4 moa out to 700 or even 1 moa at that distance I would be confident enough to use it if the opportunity comes up. I won’t take a shot I’m not comfortable with on an animal, unfair to the both of us. Went on an elk hunt few years ago, had a custom 300wsm that I had taken out to 800yds and was consistently shooting 5.5-6” groups, first day of hunt horse stumbled about fell down and we side swiped a tree, heard something hit behind me so looked back to see my bolt laying on the ground. Really bad feeling, had a back up 30-06 but had only taken it to 500yds, last day of hunt had 6 bulls at 650 yds when we had moved to closest cover without being seen, couldn’t bring myself to shoot. Just not fair to either me or elk, I’m not much on guess work, rather pass the shot if gun hadn’t proven itself with me driving it past what I plan on shooting.

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by rugerdiggs
Looking for the perfect rifle

That is what has kept this site afloat since 2000 AD...

I found the perfect rifle...

[Linked Image]

I'm upgrading the scope to a Meopta 4x32 really soon...it's not for sale. I've found that the 8x57 is capable for hunting accuracy as far or farther than I am.

seems like I'm always a classified add away from being a one rifle guy, the other ones never get used anyway.

Tim

Last edited by CowboyTim; 12/01/18.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you're not happy with a 25-06 on deer, & a 260 Rem leaves your shoulder sore, then all the Creedmoors or PRC's in the world aren't going to help. Contrary to popular belief, given just a bit of mag room & some throat, the 260 can & will outperform a 6.5 CM. The 25-06? no flies on it pushing a 115 @ 3200, the wrong bullet selection might have come into play. But I'm like most, & getting a new rifle, especially a custom is a wonderful thing.

Better bullet selection & recoil taming methods are going to be necessary.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
HnS,

I agree with some, but not all. The reason is while I do shoot a lot, it’s also part of my job to teach/get others to hit at long range under all conditions. The difference between me and most people is that I get to see a large variation of people, skill level, and philosophy’s of training and equipment. EVERYTHING I see and do, says the highest success rates come from the lowest recoiling platforms that will meet ballistic requirements. Most others seem to think one should go with the biggest gun they can handle, which is a guaranteed way to be beating ones head into a wall.

I CHOOSE to shoot a fast twist 223 out to 600 on deer for a reason.

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
What you presuppose is that the bullet is going to hit the vitals when someone who doesn't shoot many thousands of rounds a year is on the trigger.

Then why are they shooting at an animal? If someone, hasn’t and doesn’t shoot thousands of rounds a year at distance from field positions and under varied conditions- they have zero business shooting at animals at any kind of distance. Also, if the bullet doesn’t hit vitals, it’s doesn’t matter what you’re shooting. At 700 yards a gut shot is a gut shot with very few exceptions. Interestingly, almost all missed on animals are high or low. Very few are left or right, even at distance.

What I purpose is that people should use the easiest to shoot cartridge that will have the necessary terminal ballistics. Increasing recoil does not help hitting.

I'm not saying the CM can't, just that there are FAAAR better cartridges for a 700yd gun.

What cartridges are “FAAAR” better for a light recoiling 700 yard gun? That also seems to need to be lightweight.

Even though it works for you, I'm sure you can agree that it is not optimal. Hornady asserts that it is not optimal. The name of the cartridge designates what it was designed for, and what it is best for. Yes, people can make hits on animals at long ranges with it, when they know how to shoot it really well, but there are other of-the-shelf options that are better for several reasons.

The name? It’s a name. It propels extremely high BC bullets with excellent terminal ballistics, at a speed that insures good terminal performance to 700-800 yards, with relatively light recoil. Once recoil goes above 12-14’ish ft-lbs, shootability drops considerably. Not just in pure recoil tolerance, but spotting trace/splash, quick second/third shots, lowered practice time, and then the ability to consistently and correctly press the trigger from awkward field positions under stress/excitement.... and to do it somewhat quickly.

You are correct. I do not think it’s optimum for whitetails at distance- it’s too big. A fast twist 6mm with high BC 105/108/115gr VLD’s is a better choice. Better still would be a 22 Creedmoor with Hornady 88gr ELD-M’s.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Better still would be a 22 Creedmoor with Hornady 88gr ELD-M’s.

A Fieldcraft in 22-250 with the 88's was going to be my first recommendation, but as far as I know, Horn isn't making factory ammo with that combo yet.

I'm holding out for a good factory 22 Creedmoor to hit the market. I see that Alpha is making brass now.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rugerdiggs
Barrett Fieldcraft, 21" 6 Creedmoor. Factory 108 Hornady ELDM Ammo. (If you don't reload)

You get good expansion on animals with the Hornady match? I have used the amax with good luck but hadn’t tried the new amax’s

147eldm has been steller this season. I killed a pile with the 105 amax too over the years. I would not be worried at all with the 108.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For me the perfect rifle 700 yards wouldn’t be the perfect rifle for 300 or 400 yards. Rifle build, accessories and bullets wouldn’t be the same as well. Additionally my style of hunting would have to change.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Trystan

Form,

Do you prefer the Berger or Hornady and if it's Hornady is it the M or X.....Thanks
Trystan

Prefer really isn’t the right word. The 130gr Berger Hybrid and Hornady 147gr ELD-M, along withbthe 143gr ELD-X are all great bullets. I tend to the 130gr Hybrid in really light rifles, as ballistically they don’t loose much to the 147gr ELD inside 700’ish, but they recoil just enough less to make spotting impacts a bit easier.

Almost always it’s between the 130gr Hyrbid and 147gr ELD-M.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

A Fieldcraft in 22-250 with the 88's was going to be my first recommendation, but as far as I know, Horn isn't making factory ammo with that combo yet.

I'm holding out for a good factory 22 Creedmoor to hit the market. I see that Alpha is making brass now.

It’s a monster combination. The 88’s at 3,200 plus FPS beat everything else in hit rates out to 800yds save big 338’s with 300gr OTM’s- and that by a teeny fraction. But no one can shoot big guns guns as well as they can fast .22’s.

I imagine an elk will die with an 88gr ELD next year.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry
For me the perfect rifle 700 yards wouldn’t be the perfect rifle for 300 or 400 yards. Rifle build, accessories and bullets wouldn’t be the same as well. Additionally my style of hunting would have to change.

Rifles that work at 700yds can also work 100yds if properly setup.

The 6mm/105gr VLD/3050fps combo is pretty well proven whether launched from a .243 Win bolt gun or 6mm CM gas gun.

280 yards

[Linked Image]

200 ish yds

[Linked Image]

235 yds

[Linked Image]

400yds

[Linked Image]

350yds

[Linked Image]

I can't remember yds.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
500yds

[Linked Image]

450yds

[Linked Image]

700yds

[Linked Image]

510 yds

[Linked Image]

110yds

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

A whitetail at 700 yards? Hmm....you are going to need a gun shooting better than MOA. I think there are tiers of accuracy and cost. It all depends on your budget and what you value. Some shooters value "pride of ownership" (cosmetics and brand name recognition). Some don't care about perceived desirability and only value field performance (most inexpensive guns nowadays shoot MOA or better). Some spend most of their money on the gun and less on the optics. Some do the reverse. Some go full gunsmith/custom. Some buy semi-custom. Some buy ordinary factory production rifles. I guess to answer your question you would have to answer some of the above.

I see lots of Tikka and Barrett recommendations on this forum. But, there are others.....I would buy a value rifle. Meaning one that does not cost much but OVER-PERFORMS in the accuracy/reliability department and top it with a GREAT (not good) scope. Unless, of course, you have money to burn and can do it both.

Me personally, have a Bergara Ridge in .300 Win with an AP Gen 2 Little Bastard (I wear foam ear plugs while shooting) and topped it with a Nightforce (can't afford the SB I wanted). There are many choices. Good luck!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John I was thinking of the times we have talked about exactly what you just stated, and it’s true, but again my rifles aren’t set up for 700 yards which includes bullets, optics and at times how I hunt. That’s why I said “For me”. I know... “ you limit yourself” 😂 thx.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by IceCut

A whitetail at 700 yards? Hmm....you are going to need a gun shooting better than MOA. I think there are tiers of accuracy and cost. It all depends on your budget and what you value. Some shooters value "pride of ownership" (cosmetics and brand name recognition). Some don't care about perceived desirability and only value field performance (most inexpensive guns nowadays shoot MOA or better). Some spend most of their money on the gun and less on the optics. Some do the reverse. Some go full gunsmith/custom. Some buy semi-custom. Some buy ordinary factory production rifles. I guess to answer your question you would have to answer some of the above.

I see lots of Tikka and Barrett recommendations on this forum. But, there are others.....I would buy a value rifle. Meaning one that does not cost much but OVER-PERFORMS in the accuracy/reliability department and top it with a GREAT (not good) scope. Unless, of course, you have money to burn and can do it both.

Me personally, have a Bergara Ridge in .300 Win with an AP Gen 2 Little Bastard (I wear foam ear plugs while shooting) and topped it with a Nightforce (can't afford the SB I wanted). There are many choices. Good luck!

Excelent advice and welcome...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It’s a monster combination. The 88’s at 3,200 plus FPS beat everything else in hit rates out to 800yds save big 338’s with 300gr OTM’s- and that by a teeny fraction. But no one can shoot big guns guns as well as they can fast .22’s.

The 224 Speedmire is a fhuqking MONSTER and is very easy to shoot well,due it's mild mannerisms. In weather like Today,I'm squirting 88's at 3225fps. Alpha brass is assuredly a game changer and has no equal and it's nice that Bob and The Gang are filling this slot. In my 23" spout,the 88 is supersonic in my WORST of atmosphere(s),to the 1550yd line. Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and that bullet rates building a rifle around. Hint.

I've only got a trio of Seex Kreedmires and all are Skookum. No thang to opt a reliable projectile there,that wears a nice BC and performs happily from any/all angles(literally).

As the 264 Kreedmire goes,it's currently THE pick of the litter for many,due the fact,that it simply is supported with THE best over the counter ammo available. Full stop,end of story. 700yds don't even get it outta Granny Low in the gear case and it'll happily thrash alotta schit that folks "think" is "good".(grin)

THE opening move,is Reality. Assess whether one is gonna burn Factory Fodder or load as per whim. If the counter is the option,then simply 264 the bitch and don't fret a thing. Given a shred of sense,the lesser diameters have ALOTTA "hidden" merit,which have as of yet to be extolled upon the masses. Mechanically,all will reliably kill THE fhuqk outta 700yd Critters and with aplomb,but trouble is,nobody shoots and everyone hopes to purchase "proficiency",which ain't how a skillset gets developed. Hint.

Facts and Physics reliably frost the cake,though spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial.

Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The 224 Speedmire is a fhuqking MONSTER and is very easy to shoot well,due it's mild mannerisms. In weather like Today,I'm squirting 88's at 3225fps. Alpha brass is assuredly a game changer and has no equal and it's nice that Bob and The Gang are filling this slot. In my 23" spout,the 88 is supersonic in my WORST of atmosphere(s),to the 1550yd line. Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and that bullet rates building a rifle around. Hint.

I've only got a trio of Seex Kreedmires and all are Skookum. No thang to opt a reliable projectile there,that wears a nice BC and performs happily from any/all angles(literally).

As the 264 Kreedmire goes,it's currently THE pick of the litter for many,due the fact,that it simply is supported with THE best over the counter ammo available. Full stop,end of story. 700yds don't even get it outta Granny Low in the gear case and it'll happily thrash alotta schit that folks "think" is "good".(grin)

THE opening move,is Reality. Assess whether one is gonna burn Factory Fodder or load as per whim. If the counter is the option,then simply 264 the bitch and don't fret a thing. Given a shred of sense,the lesser diameters have ALOTTA "hidden" merit,which have as of yet to be extolled upon the masses. Mechanically,all will reliably kill THE fhuqk outta 700yd Critters and with aplomb,but trouble is,nobody shoots and everyone hopes to purchase "proficiency",which ain't how a skillset gets developed. Hint.

Facts and Physics reliably frost the cake,though spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial.

Hint......................

Please post some pictures of your exploits with fast twist high vel .22s

Thanks. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've lotsa Legendary Rifles,in lotsa Legendary Chamberings and you are welcome to "flaunt" your Proprietary Imagination and "convince" yourself otherwise. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.