Print Thread
Hop To
#13333767 12/05/18
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience hunting the Nail Ranch out of Albany,Texas. I am looking at doing a hog hunt there. I've looked over the website, and am just trying to find some feedback or reviews on the hunts. I can find a few reviews on other sites, but most are several years old. Everything I've read looks positive, just seeing if anyone had any recent experience there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have not hunted the Nail Ranch. But, I do know they do a lot of breed testing there so there is not telling what you might see.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Quail hunted there years ago! Nice place!

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Never hunted there personally but know a guy who hunts the Nail every year and has for years. PM me and I will give you his contact info if you want it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you need more information, try the TX Hunters Forum. At one time they had a forum on the outfitters/ranches in that state and you could ask on there and probably get a LOT of feedback if you need it.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
salt, I have hunted there probably half a dozen times.. I love it. Mostly the hunts I have been on have been driving and glassing.. I hate sitting in a box stand.. The guides are very knowledgeable, and have experience hunting other places.. The boss, Craig, hunted with us last time.. Great trip no matter who guides.. Any questions give me a pm.. We are heading back this next year probably in Feb. or March.. Can't wait..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the replies.

Wyo......That's good to know, the main reason I keep looking at them is the way they do their hog hunts. I've hunted hogs many times, and like you said I don't like hunting out of a box blind. I know some places, that's about the only way to hunt them. But a big ranch and spot and stalk hogs sounds right up my alley. Thanks again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have hunted on the ranch next door and love to go out there. Have heard good things about the Nail. In Albany it has been a tradition to have a big social Hog hunt when the Pecans start to fall in November. This has gone on since the pioneer days and is the source of all the Hogs in the area that descended from these free ranging swine.

Quail fluctuate wildly depending on rainfall as they do everywhere but more so in arid country. The deer have great genetics and keep getting better, they are big for Tx. deer with many over two hundred pounds with more than eight points. They look more like South Tx. deer than hill country. I just wish I could have hunted there when there were thousands of Buffalo, and Antelope with maybe some Elk thrown in too. The debate on Elk is still on but there are Spanish accounts of big stags near here and pictographs that sure look like Elk.

Go and enjoy it. There is a nice little Museum in the old jail house that former relatives helped to start up. The Restaurant at Buffalo gap closer to Abilene is worth a side trip. Huge steaks (the kind where you get one plate for the steak and another for the mashed taters), chicken fried steak, and BBQ.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had to look it up. In the Nosler Reloading Guide #5 it lists John R. Nosler posting with his Nail Ranch Hog using the Browning 45-70 and Nosler 300gr Partitions.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I hog hunted there three times, but not recently. I had the time of my life. No trouble finding hogs - you'll see scads of them, all free ranging.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks everybody for all the replies. I have a hunt booked for my son and I for the end of March.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Usually a really nice time to be out there. Weather can vary extremely so plan accordingly for from hot to cold and dry to wet and windy. But in general one of the nicest times to be there.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks a lot Tejano, we're looking forward to it

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.