Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
OK, it's been discontinued for about four and half years. As a matter of fact its replacement the Conquest DL 1.2-5x36, that came out in 2012, has also been discontinued. I wondered if any had used this optic. Seems to be popular amongst das Deutsche jagerschaft. Some fella in California was using one for a hog scope. Good FOV and you have to like an optic that's 1.2-5x56 when the company lists in specs that in actuality it's 1.2-4.7x56. I like that straight up approach since 4.7 is closer to 4.5 if you're rounding to the closest half power.

I've read a few posts where the sponsor, of this forum, sold them a few times at various discount. Thought perhaps someone had experience. The illuminated version came w/4A reticle and a tiny red dot. Parallax is 100 meters as I understand. The manual states that highest power will not jive at closer range requiring reduction of magnification.

I wouldn't think that would have effect on red dot. Then again were I knowledgeable I wouldn't be here posting inquiries, eh?

Last edited by dasundas; 12/03/18.
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Triple digits view the peep show, yet none deposit another two-bits.

Perhaps a fresh new routine was not the answer. Maybe next week I'll have an inquiry for a Loo-pole und everyone can jump in as Oktoberfest celebrating, lederhosen wearin', lukewarm bier drinkin' brauhaus bandits.

Should that miss the mark I'll dredge up a Weaver thread. How 'bout that K4 4x38? A whoppin' 3.3" ER w/unimpressive Dixie straw FOV 23.1'.

Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good ole days...

ETA: To be fair those specs came from a 2011 review. Currently Weaver lists FOV 26.8' - ER 3.43".

Last edited by dasundas; 12/04/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a number of 1.5-6x40mm scopes Burris, Sightron, Bausch&Lomb, and Alpen optics. It is my favorite magnification range with a large FOV on the bottom end and enough X's for longer distance.

Most of my hunting is called coyotes so there can be a number shots well under 50 yards and some as close as my shoelaces. Then there is the cautious old dog that hangs up out there a ways and you can crank up the X's for that shot .

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks Erich for the kind words. I know the twice discontinued, Duralyt/Conquest DL, is an oddball compared to mainstream scopes. At least the 1.2-5[4.7]x36 didn't seem to be that popular. Even after the upgrade to DL it appeared to fail in fanning the flames of enthusiasm. Time will tell.

The exit pupil at high mag, 4.7x, comes out to a fat 7.66mm. That should come in handy as light fades. I do not think I can dilate anywhere close to that, but I enjoy the extra room nonetheless. Plus, the illuminated dot reticle is small as I understand.

ETA: in searching I've found a nugget or two. One gent didn't care for the styling. Said it looked like a baseball bat on top of his rifle. Agreed, Zeiss took nein design clues from Porsche,

Last edited by dasundas; 12/05/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems like when ever they try and bring out a scope with less than 2x on the bottom end and a large objective bell it is doomed to fail. All of the ones I hunt with have been discontinued. Funny because they have all the attributes of a fixed 6x(darling of the CF) yet has a large FOV available for some serious close in work. Oh well as long as I can find used ones, at leased the used ones go fairly cheap.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'd rather have more EP/fov & need less than too little & need more. I found a well respected fella that compared it to a VX-6 which he found slightly better. I can live w/being close considering what I paid. I'm anxious over the size & quality of the IR dot. I have another IR/red dot scope that I wish to compare. I think I'll like the electronic push button rheostat better than the other scope which is manual twist. But, more important is when the red dot on that one is dimmed/lower brightness range isn't as clean as when brighter. Maybe others are the same though I have a hunch the Duralyt will be better. I'm hoping for a tad smaller IR dot w/more consistent glow at the lower end of the rheostat..

Last edited by dasundas; 12/05/18.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have used this scope for a number of years, It started on my 375 HH as a dangerous game scope and has been switched to my 7mm-08. It is very fast to acquire game. It gathers more than enough light to shoot any animal during legal hunting hours. I do not regret owning the scope , it is on the 7mm08 because I like using it. It is outstanding for moving game, the reticle and/or electronic dot seem to point themselves. The optic is second to none IMO. The dot when turned down it small and does not effect your vision, when turned up it can be used during mid day.All this being said, the 2-8 model weighs the same and may be more versatile. I always think I want more power in a scope for longer shots but rarely turn them higher than 5 or6. Others seem more concerned that my scope it not turned high enough than I have ever been. I am very happy with it.

Last edited by TI3006; 12/05/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one but am far from an expert as I have only used it this season. It’s mounted on my left hand ULA in 35 whelen as my dedicated thick woods rifle. So far I am very impressed with it. The field of view is unbelievable. I certainly don’t own another scope that comes close in the FOV department.
It’s very easy for me to shoot with both eyes open. The glass is very clear and I personally like the dark grey color of the scope. Mine also has the red dot but I’m not sure how necessary it is since I can see the crosshairs perfectly fine in any legal shooting light without turning the dot on. I like it enough that If I come across a deal on another one (or the 2-8 version) I will be picking it up for my 375 ruger.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks gents for taking the time to share your experiences w/the 'Little Slugger'. I suffer from PPS. Pendulum Purchasing Syndrome.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 10-50x60,

I think I'm going to like Duralyt. A little concerned about the 100 meter paralax in conjunction w/shorter range shots. You cannot have everything though. I badly wished to purchase a GEN II 3-15xwhatever IR. Read these glowing reports & the prices have dipped considerably. No 4A or simple red dot. I've little interest in a Horus/X-mas tree reticle.

Once again the fine folks at whatever company didn't bother to ask me what I thought.

The nerve,,,

Last edited by dasundas; 12/06/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I didn’t try one but had a Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 that was clearer in really low light than a VX3L 56mm or a VX3 LR 50mm. I know glass and coatings matter lore than objective size but I cranked the VX3s up last 10x and Conquest could make out needles 200 yards away at 7:30 pm while VX3s showed tree as blob and blurry branch. When the Victory HT 1.5-6x42 was clearanced under 1k I missed it and still kick myself. Kahles made a really nice C and CSX in 1.5-6x42. The C was FFP and CSX was SFP with open cross hair, post, and illuminated dot. C had custom reticle that matches. One was on Biebs hardkicker and focus went out leaving me a nice brow scar to this day. I solicited the purchase and Kahles repaired and cleaned for free including shipping. I sold the set for financial reasons 3-4 years ago. Tried buying C model back and Buyer won’t ever consider so he must really like it to.

I recall the DL or Duralyt was a different spectrum lens so had blue tint. I want to say 650 vs American preferred 525-575 but numbers could be wrong. Basically optimized for very low light, European hunting and Americans didn’t like tint during day hunts. I’ve eyed them a few times but seems price always jumps when I’m in market. I was going to buy one again but need a little more X for current project so either V4 or NF F1. Next project will be a 9.3 again with a DL I think.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
And 1.8 conquest also should never have sold. Was on a youth UL custom and my oldest had 0 issues getting behind it. He struggled with UL so changed guns and scopes too unfortunately. Everyone I see pop up in classifieds is gone before I can post. I just need to run perpetual WTB ads.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 sounds interesting. The current V6 1-6x24 looks good to me though I have to stick w/discontinued scopes. Marketed for the AR market, but me auld eyes probably couldn't take advantage of much more than 4mm EP anyway. Beggars can't be choosers and at least mine stretches to 4.7x.

There was a snafu in my order as the scope took a walkabout inside undetected, but the problem has been remedied. What I think I'm really going to enjoy, other than the wide FOV, is the fibre optic dot instead of a diode on the reticle; as I understand. At least that is my interpretation of what I've read. I tried a red dot w/diode on the reticle and it worked well enough at the higher settings. Yet, as I started lowering the intensity the dot wasn't as clean w/part of it faded not maintaining a consistent coulor and brightness across the dot.

The dot wasn't that big an issue, though it did seem a mite large, and maybe I'm nitpickin', but I saw what I saw and didn't care much for the distracting view. It sorta reminded me of the Opti-Grab from the film, 'The Jerk'.

Last edited by dasundas; 12/11/18.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Camera Land had the Conquest 1.8-5.5 x 38 on closeout sale for $299.00. I bought 3 of these and still have them.
I am looking for the Kahles 2-7 x 36 to buy.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Three hundred simoleons sounds as a sweet deal.

It's my understanding that a lot of folks are keeping their eye out for a Kahles 2-7 x 36.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The Duralyt came in yesterday. I like the tiny illuminated dot. When off all you see is the fine crosshair. The crosswire is fine, so I can see where a wee bit of illumination might come in handy at times. Being fibre optic there's no stray light to be seen from the objective. The std 2032 battery is supposed to last 100hrs. I'm seeing some type of distortion from 1.2-1.7x. By 1.75x it has settled down. CA wasn't bad. Practically nonexistant to 2.5x. Even at 4-4.7[max] the crosshairs stay clear in most any situation that favours CA. This was checking in the morning, overcast sky, raised 30-35* SSE looking at tree trunks & limbs.

Called up Zeiss to find out date of manufacture. October of 2012. He advised me to hang on to the bill of sale since electronics are only good for five years. Went ahead and registered the SN. I like the wide fov and 4.7x is plenty of magnification for no farther than I'm shooting. I found ads from 2014 where these were being cleared out for $699. That was the yr of the DL upgrade. I suppose four yrs later at 2 1/2 bills less w/warranty is an OK enough deal.

All in all I think I'm going to be happy w/little slugger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 32 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,162
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.