Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I wanting to get me a pair of 7or 8 power binos for glassing in the woods. I'm thinking about either Meostars or maybe others if y'all have any suggestions. My question is what objective would be best for something like these?

Thank you for any help you can give

Mark

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In that arena are:

Leica Trinovid HD 8x42's

Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 which, in this price class, IMO, is the best unit

Meopta MeoStar 8x42

Nikon Monarch HG 8x42

Please feel free to give us a call to discuss which would be best for you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If you’re looking at Meostars, you probably have the coin to get whatever you want. That’s an amazing position in which to be.

At those lofty heights of optics juciness, your personal preference may pick against the conventional wisdom. Doug can recommend some contenders, and probably let you choose among them, returning those you don’t like. I can’t think of any other retailer who’d do the same.

However, when you mention, “glassing in the woods”, it’s very probable that a $300 to $500 binocular would do 99.999% of what an alpha would. The top tier binoculars really start to show their capabilities in wide open spaces, and you might not see the difference in the woods of TN.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 12/07/18.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since I wear glasses, eye relief is very important to me. It's a PIA to have to constantly take your glasses off to get a full FOV with some binoculars. Bought some Tract Toric 8 power last year and have been very impressed. Full FOV even when wearing glasses and good clarity.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Since I wear glasses, eye relief is very important to me. It's a PIA to have to constantly take your glasses off to get a full FOV with some binoculars. Bought some Tract Toric 8 power last year and have been very impressed. Full FOV even when wearing glasses and good clarity.

The original Toric 8x42 is fantastic with glasses.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I do wear glasses so what you say about the Toric is very helpful. Unfortunately where I live I don't have the opportunity to look thru all the different binos before I buy so that's why I'm asking you guys that have some experience with them. I currently have a pair of older Nikon I believe they are called atb, not for sure on that but they have served me well for several years but they have seemed to lose some of their clairty. I also have a set of Leupold yosimities 6* 30 that do very well for what they are. I think I gave around 60 bucks for them on sale from Mid Way.

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Tract has a 30 day return policy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been very impressed with my Torics. I also use them with glasses more often than not.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got 2 Minox HG BR and they rival alpha glass IMO. Used they can be found $400-600 IME.

Ojb size, 32 if you're worried about size/weight, 42 if you're not.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by kingston
[quote=Blacktailer]Since I wear glasses, eye relief is very important to me. It's a PIA to have to constantly take your glasses off to get a full FOV with some binoculars. Bought some Tract Toric 8 power last year and have been very impressed. Full FOV even when wearing glasses and good clarity.

I’m a big fan of the Toric 8x42 as well. IMO, you have to pay substantially more to gain any benefit. They’re a big step up from my Meopta 8x42, and very close to my EL 8x42 (non-swarovision). Just my 0.02.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Originally Posted by elkaddict
Originally Posted by kingston
[quote=Blacktailer]Since I wear glasses, eye relief is very important to me. It's a PIA to have to constantly take your glasses off to get a full FOV with some binoculars. Bought some Tract Toric 8 power last year and have been very impressed. Full FOV even when wearing glasses and good clarity.

I’m a big fan of the Toric 8x42 as well. IMO, you have to pay substantially more to gain any benefit. They’re a big step up from my Meopta 8x42, and very close to my EL 8x42 (non-swarovision). Just my 0.02.

The toric is a big step up from the meostar ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Toric is not a step up over of those mentioned so far. I have the original Tract Toric 8x42, and it has a high
quality build, and nice optics, but the FOV is smaller than some others.

The Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, would be a great choice, light in weight, quality focuser and build, nice and bright optics
and a wider FOV, wider than any of the others mentioned.

I have the Monarch HG 10x42, it is very good.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd look at some used alphas like this:

Ebay Swarovski 7x42's

I don't know if that's a good price, you'd have to do some research and wait around for the right pair to come along. Those are just the first thing that popped up when I searched ebay. I'd rather have them than anything I've seen mentioned so far except maybe the meoptas.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The toric is a big step up from the meostar ?[/quote]

No, I was referring to the meopro.
https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog%5Bname%5D=Meopta-MeoPro-8x42-HD-%23562540-Meopro-HD&catalog%5Bproduct_guids%5D%5B0%5D=1116335

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wilbilly
I do wear glasses so what you say about the Toric is very helpful. Unfortunately where I live I don't have the opportunity to look thru all the different binos before I buy so that's why I'm asking you guys that have some experience with them. I currently have a pair of older Nikon I believe they are called atb, not for sure on that but they have served me well for several years but they have seemed to lose some of their clairty. I also have a set of Leupold yosimities 6* 30 that do very well for what they are. I think I gave around 60 bucks for them on sale from Mid Way.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars/toric-8x42-schott-ht-coming-soon

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ive got Toric 8x42. They are excellent and they hold their own with a couple of Euro brands Ive compared them with. I honestly don't think its worth paying the extra hundreds over $550 for an "alpha" brand when you can get such good quality at the the Tract price.

Ive got the binos and 2 Toric 'scopes and am well pleased. Reliable and good quality. They get a lot of use.

Last edited by NZSika; 12/08/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the 8x32 Meopta Meostar as well

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by slm9s
I've got 2 Minox HG BR and they rival alpha glass IMO. Used they can be found $400-600 IME.

Ojb size, 32 if you're worried about size/weight, 42 if you're not.

I agree on the Minox HG....but you have to act fast if you are looking at NEW as Minox is closing out the HG line....very good prices can be found if you search around.....
Minox is now owned by a group that wants to promote a different binocular line so they are regulating Minox to mid priced [BL-HD] and lower line bins.....the BLs are still very good Binoculars but a step below the HG.....

Last edited by gunut; 12/10/18.

gunut

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.