Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
All mine lock the bolt with safety on. Really like the Mod 70 3 position, but have several customs the are Remington 700 actions with the locking bolt, I always look for the older donor actions that lock the bolt when safety is on. Never had a problem with accidental discharges. I really like the Model 70's 3 position because it locks the FIRING PIN and not just the trigger. I have one Model 700 that I installed a NULA Safety, you push the Safety lever down to unlock the bolt. It works fine , but not with the new trigger and with no slot in action or grove in bolt body as on the new sloppy 700's. I seldom use this feature even though it is there. I just keep my finger OFF THE TRIGGER when I unload. Once the bolt is raised even a little, the safety is not an issue. To be honest, I've got a truck 700 that I rarely unload. Just kept 4 in magazine and when in the truck and upon return point in safe direction, push safety forward with finger off the trigger, open bolt and push live round down into magazine. When I get home I open floor plate and bingo I'm done. If it were an ADL I'd have time to CAREFULLY keep my finger off the trigger when I unload the first round and then not chamber the rest. I've got a few of the old safeties with the locking tab that an old gunsmith gave me said they were now in high demand. BTW never have your finger on the trigger on a Model 70 when you disengage safety. You can't engineer careless out of firearms.

Do you hunt with and empty chamber when bird hunting with a shotgun?

Last edited by Switch; 12/05/18.
HR IC

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Switch makes a couple good points

"Finger off the trigger"

"Safe direction"

All things we hear at any entry level firearm safety class. There is no substitute for safety. Like all the folks that blame Remington because they shot their son, daughter, nephew, grand ma. There is only one way you can shoot someone. You point the muzzle at them. Even if they are in the next room. Or upstairs. The point being the house is a pizz poor place to be waving a loaded rifle around. Take it outside.

A little off topic,I know.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
common up, I'll drop you on the beach, point you at the 3000' peak. No trails, no flagging, just rainforest.

When you get back we can talk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never had a fugging problem and I carry as LAS does.

If one can't make a 300 yard 'hike' to a deer stand without loosing their bolt, I'd suggest golf.

+1 I thought not having a locking bolt was going to be a much bigger problem than it actually is. grin

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never had a fugging problem and I carry as LAS does.

If one can't make a 300 yard 'hike' to a deer stand without loosing their bolt, I'd suggest golf.

[Linked Image]

It's closer to 1/2 mile!

ya!

GWB

Or at times in the past.... 20.

Probably too old for that chit now. Or maybe not- just takes more time. My bolt will be there. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by verns
Great topic ! Lock mine down . Oh no my "clip " is gone ! She's a single shot now.

I feel your pain... My 725 extractor is gone - she's a single shot until I put the "new" one in. If it's the right one... smile
Originally Posted by jwall
Mike I’m late to the party. I’ve read 1/2 of the thread and there are mixed reviews.

I have both types and have NOT had a problem BUT I prefer the bolt lock.
As someone else said, I’m just aware of WHICH type I’m hunting.

A year or so ago someone was whining about missing a shot OP because he only moved a Win 3 position safety 1 notch forward instead of 2.
There’s no aftermarket fix for operator error.

Jerry

Hey. I did that.

Once.

Apparently I since sub-consciously decided to be aware of what rifle I was hunting. OR

Shove the f**ker ALL the way forward, not just a click! Assuming you are working from a hot chamber to begin with.

Of course, there may be some advantage to being a one-rifle hunter. smile

Last edited by las; 12/06/18.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by aktroller
common up, I'll drop you on the beach, point you at the 3000' peak. No trails, no flagging, just rainforest.

Where the fuuck do you imagine I hunt? How about I take you to 8000 and then race you to 10? Bitch.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

You forgot the bearanoia..... smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Where the fuuck do you imagine I hunt? How about I take you to 8000 and then race you to 10? Bitch.

What does elevation have to do with the subject at hand?. I moose hunt in some nasty chit just above sea level.

I'll match you a certain place in Co., 8 to 11K if we are comparing peters or whatever. Too old to race, especially coming from near sea level.

'course, I might NEVER go back there.... smile. Or I might. Ain't no one else much dumb enough to hunt there. I like that, and the elk like it.

I came home with the rifle bolt. Could have used some elk meat..

Last edited by las; 12/06/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Love my Bergara and a big no here also

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

F
F
So much versatility in a 3 position safety. I've really grown to appreciate one.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was actually fighting my way through some jaggers this afternoon and I looked down and my bolt was up on my model 70. Dang jaggers moved my wing safety to the middle position and popped my bolt. So much for locking on safe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. But instead of being oblivious to your rifle, you actually 'looked down'..... What a concept!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have some that lock and some that don't. I have had a twig lodge under the bolt handle on one that didn't and lifted it just enough so that the rifle wouldn't fire at a coyote that walked15 yards from me. Glad it wasn't a big buck. I like being able to unload the chamber with the safety on.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Years ago was calling coyotes, thought the stand was over (15 min)partner and i got up and were heading toward each other ,I slung my 700 over my shoulder Mr coyote appears very close Dip Stick Me slips rifle off shoulder flips off safe and centers Coyote with cross hairs and NOTHING HAPPENS ,bolt part open probably when I slipped it off my shoulder ,I think I bumped it with my elbow. $100 ran away. Lock me down

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=aktroller]common up, I'll drop you on the beach, point you at the 3000' peak. No trails, no flagging, just rainforest.

When you get back we can talk.[/quote

My Dad is tougher than your Dad!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm tougher than your Dad!

Maybe.

Might be slower too.

And he carries the beer up.

Last edited by las; 12/08/18.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just cleaned the Stub- a tang 77 with 17 inch barrel after 8 years in storage...

I'll be damned, that safety locks the bolt down!

Bought it in about '84.

I'm guessing the tang .338 WM does the same thing..... smile. Gotta admit - one time I got to my moose stand and the damned bolt was gone.

Still on the cleaning bench...

Last edited by las; 12/08/18.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
No.

Me too. No!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,119
Posts18,502,341
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.