Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Those P365 mags are pushing mag engineering to the limit to fit so many in that small a mag. I guess it’s not surprising they’re a bit on the delicate side.

I agree. It hurts that they cost $38 per mag. At least they are readily available at this time.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shame to hear about the magazines, but then again compared to a shield or G43 or pm9 etc you need to drop them half as often.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Yondering
Why are you intentionally dropping magazines on a concrete floor? Just don't care, or trying to find out if they'll break?

Ever heard of a speed reload or training like you fight? You going to hang onto empty mags?

The fact that I'm most likely going to do an administrative reload (replace a partial mag with a full mag) if I need to means yes, I train to hang on to my mags. I'm not a gun gamer, all my training is for fighting not competition.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's called a tactical reload. Administrative is removing/inserting a magazine with the pistol still in the holster, but good on you.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Ok. I really don't care much what you want to call it; I don't throw my magazines on the concrete floor for practice. It's entirely possible they'll hit the ground in a fight, but that's the least of my worries at that point.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Update. I had a floor plate crack on a P365 magazine today after being dropped for about the 25th time on the same concrete floor that untold number of Glock magazines have repeatedly fallen upon for the last 7 years without sustaining any damage.

Not to worry--once their "delicate mag" problem gets sufficient publicity, Sig will release an official statement, denying that there's anything wrong with their mags, and then they'll quietly make necessary changes with no announcement of that fact. After that, somebody will discover the changes and post about it on the internet. Then, when cornered, Sig will announce that they are "continuing to improve" this "game changer" and they've made their "indestructible" magazines even "more indestructible." And, frankly, they will in all probability, solve the issue.

I like the idea of the P365 very much, but I'm not ready to roll the dice on one yet. I don't doubt the word of those whose experiences have been 100% positive, but neither do I doubt the folks whose P365's have broken or failed to run. At some point the P365 will consistently be as reliable as any other pistol its size. When that happens, and I believe it will, the P365 will have other manufacturers scrambling to catch up (in fact, you know they already are).

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL. I may have gotten lucky for once.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Ok. I really don't care much what you want to call it; I don't throw my magazines on the concrete floor for practice. It's entirely possible they'll hit the ground in a fight, but that's the least of my worries at that point.

To clarify, I don't throw my magazines on the ground. It's just that I don't treat them special just because I am at the range, and emergency reloads are a skill that I like to practice. Magazines are wear items, consumables. I would prefer that they don't break as fast as this one, but I would rather know the quirks of the gun than find out in a jam. Guns that I wear a lot get banged around a lot. I do tend to keep some magazines more pristine primarily for carry, after they are checked out. (P.S. At this point, I probably will see how the magazine continues to function with the crack.)

I think this issue also lends some credence to my concerns expressed earlier about the thinness of the side panels of the gun's grip.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Newsflash: Don't be surprised when your designed-to-be freakishly lightweight pistol and magazine is not as robust as a heavy duty one.

I've accidently broken a couple magazines. Soft/padded baseplates are sold for a reason. The most common Glock failure is the baseplate popping off and the spring ejecting. I practice dropping magazines at home on the carpet or over a bed. At the range there is always something I can put by my feet - a carpet, range bag, hat, etc. If you intentionally drop a magazine on a concrete floor - here's your sign.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JOG
Newsflash: Don't be surprised when your designed-to-be freakishly lightweight pistol and magazine is not as robust as a heavy duty one.

I've accidently broken a couple magazines. Soft/padded baseplates are sold for a reason. The most common Glock failure is the baseplate popping off and the spring ejecting. I practice dropping magazines at home on the carpet or over a bed. At the range there is always something I can put by my feet - a carpet, range bag, hat, etc. If you intentionally drop a magazine on a concrete floor - here's your sign.

So you stand in one place at the range? Interesting.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just did the math. In the last four weeks I’ve seen 7,000 M&P mags hit the floor. Probably 5000ish on a 1/4” hard may and the rest on concrete. About a dozen were ether thrown at the concrete or down range to convince people to stop babying them. That’ll happen twice a year.

Then another 7,000 will fall for a different class.

And that happens every year, plus elective classes.

So I’ve probably seen 100,000 mags hit the floor of our concrete range or that 1/4” mat and I’ve never seen a single mag break.

So in my experience a mag breaking in the first 50 drops does seem frail.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 12/08/18.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you asking if I have access to a concrete covered range I can move around on? If so, no.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just did the math. In the last four months I’ve seen 7,000 M&P mags hit the floor. Probably 5000ish on a 1/4” hard may and the rest on concrete.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about M&P magazines either, but why do you figure a mat is used?

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

It does seem obvious, and I said as much in this thread on November 25. But, Sig and most gun writers and semi-pro vloggers aren't going to say that, so it is up to end users to figure it out for themselves. Other potential issues include the possibility of spring fatigue with long term loaded magazines given the difficulty of loading the 10th round, and I do intend to let the gun sit outside overnight if we get a night of minus 20 sometime this winter. Inquiring minds want to know. It's not just academic.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any more factory updates?

Any recent purchases?

Dave

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RDW
Any more factory updates?

Any recent purchases?

I will wait another year or more. Till then, it's either the Glock 26 or the Glock 43 for maximum concealment needs.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know that I will sell the G26 but I would like to try out the 365.

I am not comfortable carrying the G26 in an Alien Gear CT 3.5 so I ordered a Comp-tac Infidel Ultra Max hybrid. If I find the right holster the slightly smaller size and weight of the 365 may not justify a new purchase.

I watched the Taron Butler video and he sure as hell can shoot the 365 but I bet he can shoot everything exceptional.

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have two of them, a friend just purchased a brand new one, no problems at all for the last one I bought or my friends pistol, we both also have the 12 round magazines these work great. I carry my weapon in a cooks holster, very thin, easy draw and reholster. I sold my G27, G43, a G19, and a Shield, this weapon is simply more accurate, easier to hit with and holds more cartridges in a smaller easier to conceal container.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Update. I have put approximately 400 more rounds through my P365 since I first experience a cracked base plate on a magazine. I have 3 flush-base magazines that I keep to the side loaded with carry ammo, and I am practicing with 4 flush-base magazines that I bought in November and December. The magazine with the cracked base plate (purchased in November) developed a new crack in the base plate on the other side today. One magazine (purchased in November) hangs up when ejecting the magazine much more frequently than the others. Another magazine that I just used for the first time yesterday (purchased in December) has a follower that comes out of the top of the magazine body at a weird angle. It has to be manipulated back in place before loading.

There were no malfunctions when shooting, though, and the gun continues to work great. The magazines just seem to be delicate. I have to send at least the slide back to get a new front night sight, so I will try to swap the magazines. My understanding from forum land is that Sig does not stock base plates because it buys the magazines from an outside vendor.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'll stick with the G26 (with +2 mag bases) or the G43 (with +1 mag bases), thank you. Mags are cheap, work right, and last.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.