-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To all the Colt cognoscenti - how frequently did Colt (through their custom shop) offer SAA with "extended" grips? I'd guess they're sort of like 1860 Army grips (?) melded onto 1873 SAA frames. I'm not a fan of coiling my pinkie underneath the grip of a SAA and like the idea of a 1/4" longer grip that fits the hand more fully. The Uberti/Taylor's extended grips are basically the same thing.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the 1860 grip is a direct fit to the Colt SAA and its exact copies. I am not aware of any original Colts that were so modified by the factory, but that is not to say it was never done.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I ask because I just found and purchased a circa 1989 SAA that came with a Colt research letter that documented, among other things, that the custom shop added the extended grip as part of the original order. In the "Remarks" section of the authentication letter it reads: "The records also indicate the above described revolver features an extended grip configuration. This special customizing was performed on Colt Custom Shop Order Number 3395."

I don't know if the custom shop order number 3395 was frequently added to orders but it was at least in this case. I don't even know if 3395 is simply a sequential number given to any customization work or if it specifically identifies an extended grip configuration.

Last edited by John_Havard; 11/19/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I believe the 1860 grip is a direct fit to the Colt SAA and its exact copies. I am not aware of any original Colts that were so modified by the factory, but that is not to say it was never done.

According to Cochran (colt peacemaker encyclopedia)

The standard peacemaker has navy-length grips, and the "extra long " variation has the the army-length grips carried over from the 1860 colt army.

Cochran also states, long grips model peacemakers (1st generation) are extremely rare. Maybe 50 known. Replaced by the colt bisley.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Darn nice pistol you have there. The custom shop would build about anything special order; but again it was special order, making it an automatic collectors item. Nice find.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Havard
I ask because I just found and purchased a circa 1989 SAA that came with a Colt research letter that documented, among other things, that the custom shop added the extended grip as part of the original order. In the "Remarks" section of the authentication letter it reads: "The records also indicate the above described revolver features an extended grip configuration. This special customizing was performed on Colt Custom Shop Order Number 3395."

I don't know if the custom shop order number 3395 was frequently added to orders but it was at least in this case. I don't even know if 3395 is simply a sequential number given to any customization work or if it specifically identifies an extended grip configuration.

Fantastic! I'd bet 3395 is that specific customer's order. Regardless, please post a photo of that gem.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As soon as I receive it I will.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here are a few photos of an extended grip Colt SAA. I have both Dall sheep and Bighorn sheep slabs so now to choose which one to have fitted.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been asked to explain the difference in this grip versus a standard SAA grip. The best way to describe it is to refer to the extended grip pictured above. The standard SAA grip ends just below the top of the lower fleur de lis (SP?) on the ebony extended grip. Bottom line is it gives your pinkie plenty of grip to grab.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Beautiful gun....

I believe Bill Jordan had one so modified as it is in his book, No Second Place Winner. Don't know if it was original Colt modification or some gunsmith did it for him...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics John. That is a beautiful and very unique Colt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.