Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Found this while looking for something else on youtube. You all know how that rabbit hole goes. Anyway, Thought this was pretty cool, although I think the drone ended up interfering with Mother Nature in the end. Right place/right time.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. That wolf is tenacious. Must be hungry.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Have seen mule deer take to water to escape coyotes. Some staying within the stream bank for up to 36 hours. Pretty good example of the wolf's technique. Not really efficient killers, as a pack simply bites things to death.

OkieDokie
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by OkieDokie
Have seen mule deer take to water to escape coyotes. Some staying within the stream bank for up to 36 hours. Pretty good example of the wolf's technique. Not really efficient killers, as a pack simply bites things to death.

Oh they are efficient all right, their success rate is higher than any other carnivore. Twice now I've seen where a single wolf has killed full grown moose.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That moose must have been exhausted even when it hit the water, as I'm surprised it just didn't light out for the opposite shore in the first place.

I remember canoeing in northern Ontario and coming around a marshy bend in a river and seeing mud, stirred up water, and lots of bubbles. I was within 10 feet or so when a bull in velvet came to the surface with a lily pad in his mouth. Never forget that.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan
That moose must have been exhausted even when it hit the water, as I'm surprised it just didn't light out for the opposite shore in the first place.

I remember canoeing in northern Ontario and coming around a marshy bend in a river and seeing mud, stirred up water, and lots of bubbles. I was within 10 feet or so when a bull in velvet came to the surface with a lily pad in his mouth. Never forget that.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Exhausted? Maybe, maybe not. Possibly she had a live or dead calf back in the woods. From the wolf's action, it alerted once to something back in there as well. In shallow water, the moose has greater advantage with it's long legs, as shown . They have footing, while the wolf is swimming, or nearly so. That moose knew it. As do most moose. The wolf was lucky??? to have latched on behind the front leg or it would have got stomped. The moose was lucky she didn't loose her footing and go down in that water.

Moose sometimes maybe forget it doesn't work that way in winter - or maybe the wolves work it that way. I have found numerous wolf kills where moose had been pinned against the shore of a slick-ice lake, or killed out on the ice itself. Most times, the doggies take the calf - easier and safer that way.

In deep snow crusted enough to hold a wolf's weight, but not the moose's, even an adult moose has little chance from even one or two wolves.

Last edited by las; 12/09/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Morewood

More to the point, how long before it is a human instead of a moose on the video..

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Haven't you heard? Wolves never attack, or even threaten people. Or send one of the pack out of cover to invite one's dog out to "play". They are "nice" doggies....

I have a pelt on the wall to prove it. smile

Last edited by las; 12/09/18.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cool video, glad the good guy got away. Thanks for posting.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Haven't you heard? Wolves never attack, or even threaten people. Or send one of the pack out of cover to invite one's dog out to "play". They are "nice" doggies....

I have a pelt on the wall to prove it. smile
A few years ago, a TV station in Hailey, ID ran a video of a wolf doing just that at a house on the edge of town. It jumped a fence into someone's back yard to play with their dog. It tried hard to get the dog to follow it back over the fence to where other wolves were waiting. The dog didn't follow and survived.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very neat vid. The moose lives on!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I know the exact spot this happened. Fella didn’t get his drone launched until after the pack had killed the calf—in that patch of bush between the railroad and the lake.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I know the exact spot this happened. Fella didn’t get his drone launched until after the pack had killed the calf—in that patch of bush between the railroad and the lake.

Well there you go, we have finally found a viable reason for the small drones equipped with an auto .22lr, a quick burst in the guts of the nearest wolf and problem solved.

Hmm...someone is actually likely to do that.

Last edited by JSTUART; 12/10/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I thought that was likely. Moose at first was intent back in (several possibilities), then didn't want to leave, and the wolf definitely checked back on something.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Morewood

More to the point, how long before it is a human instead of a moose on the video..

I wonder...

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article/wolves-killed-alaska-teacher-2010-state-says/2011/12/07/

Wolves killed Alaska teacher in 2010, state says
pencil Author: Craig Medred clock Updated: July 7, 2016 calendar Published December 6, 2011

More than a year and a half after a young, Alaska teacher was found dead -- apparently killed by wolves -- the state Department of Fish and Game has officially concluded that wolves indeed killed her. A report the agency released Tuesday said there is conclusive evidence 32-year-old Candice Berner was attacked and killed by two or more wolves while jogging near the village of Chignik Lake on the Alaska Peninsula.

Berner's death left the village terrified for days. She had come to Chignik to teach children with special needs. Originally from Slippery Rock, Penn., she was an avid runner who stood only 4 feet, 11 inches.

She went for a March run near the remote community about 450 miles southwest of Anchorage. Fish and Game biologist Lem Butler concluded she was jogging down a road less than two miles from the rough cluster of homes when she met wolves coming toward Chignik. What happened next remains unknown.

Butler said it was impossible to tell if the wolves were hunting Berner or if she surprised them and they attacked. There is little doubt, however, that the wolves killed her and then fed on her body.

Butler said wolf DNA that was recovered from Berner's clothing matched DNA from wolves later shot in the area. The forensic evidence was consistent with the injuries to Berner and the wolf tracks found around her body. "DNA test results provided by the U.S. Geological Survey lab in Anchorage indicated that two to four wolves were most likely involved ... (The tests) connected one of the wolves killed by (Fish and Game) to the incident," according to a Fish and Game press release.

The state agency killed two wolves shortly after the attack on Berner. Trappers under contract with Fish and Game later killed another six wolves within 15 miles of the village. Though it was not known why the wolves attacked Berner, Butler said, the animals clearly treated the dead woman as prey after the attack.

There was speculation at the time the wolves might have been sick or starving. That does not appear to have been the case. State veterinarian Dr. Kimberlee Beckmen examined the wolves killed after the attack and found all but two in good to excellent condition. One of the eight wolves directly linked to Berner by DNA evidence "was in apparent good health with very large fat reserves,'' according to the state. The two wolves in poor condition could not be linked to the attack. None of the wolves were suffering from rabies or other disease.

Butler reported he was unable to find any evidence the wolves were defending a food source or had become habituated to human food. Habituation has been linked to other wolf attacks. Wolves conditioned to hang around villages or camps because food is available have been known to lose their wariness and confront -- or even attack -- people.

A 6-year-old boy was injured in a wolf attack near Icy Bay along the Gulf of Alaska coast south of Anchorage in 2000. That attack was linked to habituation by former state biologist Vic Van Ballenberghe, who had studied moose and wolves in the area. He reported the wolf at Icy Bay was fed several times and lived near a logging camp for weeks before the attack.

Several attacks by wolves on humans in Canada were also linked to habituation. It has long been debated whether healthy, unhabituated wolves would attack people. The state study appears to have put an end to that argument.

But Butler stressed there is no need to panic.

"...Wolf attacks on humans are rare and people should not be unnecessarily fearful,'' he said in a press release "People should always maintain a safe distance and healthy respect when encountering wolves or other wild animals."

The complete Fish and Game report, "Findings Related to the March 2010 Fatal Wolf Attack Near Chignik Lake, Alaska," can be found here. Additional information on safety in wolf country is available here.

Even before the report on the Chignik wolf attack was made official, new fears about the danger wolves can pose to people helped fuel a decision by Fish and Game to exterminate a pack of wolves living on the edge of Anchorage earlier this year. Those animals never attacked anyone, but they had followed a number of people and appeared to have developed a fascination with people and their pets. They paid the ultimate price. Over the course of the 2010-11 winter, nine of them were exterminated.

Unlike most other states, Alaska has a large and healthy population of wolves. The animals regularly range into all but the most urban areas of the 49th state, and only a speck of the state is urban.

Contact Craig Medred at craig(at)alaskadispatch.com

Anchorage Wolves Runner Alaska Department Of Fish And Game Chignik Lake Alaska Peninsula Jogger Candice Berner Icy Bay Alaska News
About this Author
Craig Medred

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
‘ under certain circumstances wolves will attack people’

Only a government employee—educated well beyond their intelligence—would find fault with that statement.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.