Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13349892 12/10/18
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saw my first Bergara at the range this afternoon, a Premier I think in .300 Winmag. Pretty impressive looking, and the three shots the owner fired went in a nice tight cluster. Loud rascal, though!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waiting for Lefty's

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
David Petzal has been singing their praises for a while now. I have looked at a couple, nicely made but maybe a tad heavy. I have so far resisted the 6.5 craze, but in a lefty, I'd be seriously counting my Cabelas's points.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see Bergara has a new “custom” light weight offering now.
7.5 ish pounds, scoped and a nice slender stock....Timney trigger.
Could be a contender for those in the market.
Their standard model is too chunky for my taste.....

Last edited by Blacktail53; 12/10/18.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This one appeared to have the Premier action, but the floorplate release looked like the B14, aka M70. Guy said it went 6lbs 4oz, which matches one of the
Premier mountain models. Very nicely done. Probably goes 7.5 with the Swaro he had on it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The Premier mtn in .300 Win rifle is very tempting to me but I need to handle one before i spend $1800.00 + in the blind......Hb

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Some years ago when they were first introduced, I was looking around in my local sporting goods store and first saw the Bergara rifles. I knew they made good barrels for muzzle loaders and a t.v. show promoted them. I was drawn to the targets hanging from the trigger guard. Now, I have been shooting rifles for a very, very long time and had never seen ordinary factory hunting rifles with bonafide 1/4" 3 shot groups everywhere on the racks. I examined one closely and it looked very well put together indeed. They were the Stalker models which were around $1400 at the time. I could not buy one at the time and started saving my money. I did a bit of web research and read a new rifle called the HMR was coming out on the market. I later learned a limited edition -grey/black stock with 24" 5.5 contour barrels in 6.5CM would be available- at Bass Pro stores. A few months later, I drove over 700 miles round trip to buy one. (I also have a Ridge Rifle!)
BTW, I don't work for them or have any financial vested interest. I am just amazed by these inexpensive rifles!

Last edited by IceCut; 12/11/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may look for a Premier Mountain Series one in .280 AI. I have looked at the B14 Hunter. but it was a little too heavy for the application I want to use it for, and it's not available in .280 AI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are nice, but heavy.

Hopefully I don't derail this thread, but,
there is something the safety doesn't do. (It's important to me)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They are not heavy but they are well built and very accurate

Premier Mountain Series 6.5 Creed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the B-14 Timber in 308. After hunting with it this season I decided it was too chunky and too heavy and I only took it afield 5 times. So I just put it on GB.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I am with Hillbilly. The mountain series is on the short list for a new gun for my son, but I cannot find one locally to look at. No way I'm spending that kind of money on a gun I can't look at first. My local Cabelas does not carry them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I didn’t look at mine before I bought it
I talked to SAS at Whittaker’s and purchased it on his recommendation
No regrets

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm very interested in trying one of these, especially the HMR. I don't think I've read or heard a negative review. Hey, I've got all the lightweight rifles I'll ever need or use. Heck, until the lightweight rifle "craze" hit about ten or 15 years ago, I never knew the rifles I carried throughout my youth were heavy. Now I know. Don't get me wrong, I prefer carrying my Barrett Fieldcrafts, Kimber Montanas, etc. in the mountains. I just didn't know that I used to be such a manly man carrying those sporter-weight rifles all over the rocky mountains..

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/11/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once the lefties hit the shelves I'll have to deal with a temptation I swore I was done with after my last rifle purchase.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a Bergara Ridge in 308. Great shooter with heavy bullets. The threaded barrels are heavier than the hunting barrels. If you don't plan to use a suppressor or brake, then the hunter models might be a little lighter. I did buy an HMR stock for bench work. With a scope, bipod, etc. It weights 12 pounds with the HMR stock. Sure, it's no mountain rifle, but it's a sweet shooting rig. A good value in my book. You can go Premier series and spend more money, but I didn't see the advantage. Takes lots of same accessories as a Rem 700.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
dedvgeorge

Do you have the premier series mountain rifle?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deputy30
dedvgeorge

Do you have the premier series mountain rifle?

Yes sir

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Does it weigh what bergara's website claims it does and what did sas have to say about it that lead you to buy it unseen?
Thanks

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought a Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM just to see what the fuss was all about. I figured it was the cheapest way into an accurate 6.5. I've not been disappointed in the accuracy and I think the 6.5 round lives up to the hype.

I found a Bergara in 6.5 CM on Whittakers website at a good price. I want to say $550, but can't remember for sure. At any rate it was a good bit less than the $700 I see them going for locally and I ordered it. I got it shortly before deer season and didn't have much time to play around with it, and didn't try to hunt with it this season. One of my winter projects is to get some trigger time with it. BTW, the trigger is the best of any rifle I own. It is my understanding they use Timney's and they are adjusted just where I like it.

Aesthetically it is a big improvement over the Ruger, but if it is any more accurate it isn't much. Of course there isn't much room to improve on the Ruger's accuracy. Mine weighs 8 lbs 3 oz on my postal scales with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 scope in Talley Lightweight mounts. Call it about 7 1/4 lbs without a scope. That is a little heavier than I'd prefer, most of my go-to rifles are about 7 1/2-8 lbs scoped. But for what I'm going to use it for I don't think it is excessive.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 41 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.