Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Of course not. You and your butt buddy Kurt are way off base. You keep trying to bring that ridiculous story of defacing property. You haven't even been there and keep trying to make something of it. It is a signature rock face that local ranchers have scratched their names and brands into for decades. That is how we found it, we were told by local ranchers. Somewhere after the fact, there has been a claim that there are petroglyphs in the same are, but it is also under good authority that the so-called petroglyphs were scratched there by those same ranchers.

You have no knowledge of any of this but through Kurt and yet you don't see mine or anyone else's name by the petroglyphs, just in another rock face. Here is another picture of a rock face we defaced, I have found them in various places around the state and they are nothing more than markes of people and their passing by a similar place over time. Go ahead and report this one too...

A couple things: 1) I'm not butt buddies with anybody but I did take those pictures with somebody who goes to church with you. 2) I have been there, know the locals, didn't see any local brands or names - just you and your boys names. 3) Your names are a couple steps from the petroglyphs and there is now a sign there, as it's on USFS land. 4) I didn't "report" anything, but was curious if you got in any trouble.

Now - back to the great elk hunting thread..

Ouch!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to see selective good ol boy " gifting" of big game to special interests.

Check out Idaho!

P.S. get u a 4 wheeler or a side by side. The only way to go on closed national forest roads!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Went back and read the OP's posts. Mostly a bunch of whining. My original response related only to the "Shoulder Season" aspect in the thread title, which I stand by. I've seen one of my favorite units losing elk dramatically - no one is quite sure exactly why - but which simultaneously had a shoulder season implemented in it. If that's not catering to landowners without adequate data (the science part), I don't know what is. Makes no sense.

I also think elk need a break. For god's sake, they get pounded all fall, deal with predators year round, then get chased by Kuiu clad warriors doing the F150 sneak in December, January, and February, just the time when they'd like to be catching their breath and surviving winter.

I'm grateful for the large landowners in the state, and understand what they're up against. But sometimes the pendulum gets swung too far in their favor.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Of course not. You and your butt buddy Kurt are way off base. You keep trying to bring that ridiculous story of defacing property. You haven't even been there and keep trying to make something of it. It is a signature rock face that local ranchers have scratched their names and brands into for decades. That is how we found it, we were told by local ranchers. Somewhere after the fact, there has been a claim that there are petroglyphs in the same are, but it is also under good authority that the so-called petroglyphs were scratched there by those same ranchers.

You have no knowledge of any of this but through Kurt and yet you don't see mine or anyone else's name by the petroglyphs, just in another rock face. Here is another picture of a rock face we defaced, I have found them in various places around the state and they are nothing more than markes of people and their passing by a similar place over time. Go ahead and report this one too...

A couple things: 1) I'm not butt buddies with anybody but I did take those pictures with somebody who goes to church with you. 2) I have been there, know the locals, didn't see any local brands or names - just you and your boys names. 3) Your names are a couple steps from the petroglyphs and there is now a sign there, as it's on USFS land. 4) I didn't "report" anything, but was curious if you got in any trouble.

Now - back to the great elk hunting thread..

Ouch!

Crickets.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
MT FWP is run by landowners and the politicians that cater to them, not by science/biologists...

I talked to the retired FWP biologist that spent decades managing the Madison-Wall Creek Wildlife Management Area out of Ennis, Montana. Specifically, we talked about grazing allotments on the National Forest and the impact on elk. It was concluded by him that the cattle grazing on the National Forest had virtually no impact on the available grass for elk forage. He also mentioned how the elk moved out of the high country due to snow and weather conditions and not because of lack of grass.

Further, he explained the reasons for shoulder seasons and how landowners were involved in that decision process by FWP. The lies that Brad and Pete want to spread is nothing more than an emotional rant because they want to force landowners to allow them to hunt on private property in the name of game management. You guys need to get more information other than Gallatin Wildlife Federation and other environmentally based organizations that want to overturn private property rights for the sake of personal selfishness.

Nothing but crickets from the gallery I am sure, as our boys that want everything for themselves, realize they are not in the majority for wanting things their way...

I've been friends with that FWP biologist for the past 40 or so years. He is definitely a science biologist and has probably forgot more about elk biology than most that post here will ever know.

He once explained to me how with proper timing, allowing a proper number of cattle to graze on the forest land in the Wall Cr Area actually benefited the grazing for the elk.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saddlesore, I don't have a general complaint about NR hunters either, except for two things.

I don't want to hear their pissing and moaning, and I especially don't want to listen to any idiots who think NRs should get preferential treatment.

That, and CP&W issues too many tags, which is not the fault of NRs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by buffybr

He once explained to me how with proper timing, allowing a proper number of cattle to graze on the forest land in the Wall Cr Area actually benefited the grazing for the elk.

That's pretty common knowledge, and was once the role of bison. Most everything he's posted is elk 101... the point of the thread, at least from my perspective, is the validity/wisdom/science of the Shoulder Season.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shrap only hunts private and if you notice only shoots what he can drive to. His opinion and experiences really don't matter. He hunts in a vacuum.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by callnum
Shrap only hunts private and if you notice only shoots what he can drive to. His opinion and experiences really don't matter. He hunts in a vacuum.

I don't understand how living and hunting the same state your whole life and being able to cultivate relationships that allow you opportunity somehow renders your opinions and experiences invalid. There are things that can be bought and others that can only be earned. The things that must be earned seem to really make the "buyers" of the world indignant.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

It does crack me up to hear someone from WI talk about some other place being liberal though.

Just so we're clear here, while we've got our share of knuckleheads in WI - the OP hails from MN.
And, see my longstanding signature line concerning the OP. whistle

As well, I wholeheartedly approach my visits to other states just like this:

Originally Posted by horse1
I've always considered drawing any tag or buying any license outside of my home in ND more of an invite or extension of the privilege to hunt/fish within the bounds of how the residents and their state's/province's Game and Fish, DNR, FWP, etc, etc, etc, have decided things need work. I'm just a guest and guests IMO don't get to make rules or demands. As a guest, my goal is that for the most part, you'll never even know I was there other than maybe a rib-cage and spinal column left behind somewhere that it's not a disturbance.

I guess as I see it, the only choice or voice I have as a non-resident hunter/fisherman is whether or not to buy/apply for a license.

Neither price disparity nor time constraints of travel/vacation entitle anyone to Jack-Diddly Squat IMO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I don't understand how living and hunting the same state your whole life and being able to cultivate relationships that allow you opportunity somehow renders your opinions and experiences invalid. There are things that can be bought and others that can only be earned. The things that must be earned seem to really make the "buyers" of the world indignant.

What happens on small bits of private with very little or no hunting pressure compared to the vast amounts of public land in Montana crawling with orange vests is apples and carrots. The guys that kill elk on public land year after year are the guys with real experience. Simply put, ones hunting and ones shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't you think that gaining access to ranches is in the 'bought' category wheras pushing into remote areas of public land is more in the 'earned' category?

No gripes against any of the ways that hunters may use to get an easier hunt. That could be buying ranch access or bartering for it, hiring guides or outfitters, hunting high fence or low fence, waiting 20 years for a prime tag, convoys of machines and horses that the average guy can only dream of, depredation hunts, Ranching for Wildlife hunts, etc.
As far as I am concerned all is fair as long as you don't misrepresent it.
The trouble is that almost everyone misrepresents it.
How many times to you ask someone about a nice trophy on a wall and they almost always leave out the part about the help they had to obtain it?
Often times those I would consider in that 'bought' category are the loudest about talking themselves up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Anybody have any General tag shoulder season recommendations?

I never filled my elk tag and am not wanting to buy a non resident B if I don't have to.

Thanks!

why not allow everyone just to have one elk tag for any elk for 2 years ?, and any rancher who owns land that allows elk hunting on their property give them a $100.00 bonus for any non-resident who shoots an elk on his property. there are some very wealthy people that own plenty land with too many elk on their property and do not allow many people on this private land and yes disease may happen that needs to change soon too ? but resident licenses need to be half of a non-resident tag ,in general I have seen some very poor resident hunters that pick-up hunt only that needs to stop too.

So you think non-residents should get preferential treatment?

Good luck with that.

> yes they should non-residents pay more and the western states make more money of us too ,even liberal Colorado does.

That's the same attitude I've experienced from every person from WI when I've met them afield, on the water, or on the ice. Essentially, "You owe me because I paid more for a license."

The US should gift WI to France, or Iran.

So who is whining now? I could send you some Wisconsin cheese to go with that whine. LOL

Last edited by roundoak; 12/11/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane

It does crack me up to hear someone from WI talk about some other place being liberal though.

Just so we're clear here, while we've got our share of knuckleheads in WI - the OP hails from MN.
And, see my longstanding signature line concerning the OP. whistle

LOL, ya got me there, thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, I have a lot of friends in WI, as well as close family. Just so we're clear, I love cheeseheads and you'd be welcome in my camp any time.

But I can't stand entitled dickheads, wherever they come from.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
SO BACK TO THE HORRIBLE SHOULDER SEASON IN Montana. that needs to change . I have seen the slob side of this and don`t tell me shoulder season people are hunting, sneakin up on a herd of elk with the pickup ,loaded rifles and then bang-bang- bang shootin continues some elk dead some limp`n away it looks terrible. its hard to believe the RMEF lets this continue to go on and the future of a good elk population will suffer from this sloppy shoulder season which should be called slaughter season. Ranchers should not get their way either they do not own Montana or the Federal land or the state land ,ya some think some old spainish treaty thing is law for the ranchers ,well the Indians think their treaty is law too, its time to just say no and protect the elk herd rather your a resident or a non-resident we all want the same thing a good elk herd for all Americans on our public lands.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SO BACK TO THE HORRIBLE SHOULDER SEASON IN Montana. that needs to change . I have seen the slob side of this and don`t tell me shoulder season people are hunting, sneakin up on a herd of elk with the pickup ,loaded rifles and then bang-bang- bang shootin continues some elk dead some limp`n away it looks terrible. its hard to believe the RMEF lets this continue to go on and the future of a good elk population will suffer from this sloppy shoulder season which should be called slaughter season. Ranchers should not get their way either they do not own Montana or the Federal land or the state land ,ya some think some old spainish treaty thing is law for the ranchers ,well the Indians think their treaty is law too, its time to just say no and protect the elk herd rather your a resident or a non-resident we all want the same thing a good elk herd for all Americans on our public lands.

really ought to quit while you are behind........bob

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

A quick question. Does your family tree ever fork?? Your endless blather i s comical. I almost feel bad for you. As to your post. True there are many poor hunters driving around blazing away. Are you going to try and regulate that? How? Secondly, the shoulder season is about killing cow elk to reduce numbers that are too high. It is not hunting, as we see it, it is population reduction. Culling by another name. There is a distinct difference. There are two choices,have the public do it which I would prefer, or have govt hunters, or private contractors do it. Next, while ranchers don't own the state of montana, for which I am greatful, they do own a fair chunk of it. That is called private property rights, or which I am a strong proponent. You can't tell people how to run their private land. It is none of your business. There are no perfect solutions,and a magic wand can't be waved to fix every thing. For now fwp is trying to use the public as a solution. Time will tell if they are able to do the job.

Last edited by atse; 12/11/18.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

A quick question. Does your family tree ever fork?? Your endless blather i s comical. I almost feel bad for you. As to your post. True there are many poor hunters driving around blazing away. Are you going to try and regulate that? How? Secondly, the shoulder season is about killing cow elk to reduce numbers that are too high. It is not hunting, as we see it, it is population reduction. Culling by another name. There is a distinct difference. There are two choices,have the public do it which I would prefer, or have govt hunters, or private contractors do it. Next, while ranchers don't own the state of montana, for which I am greatful, they do own a fair chunk of it. That is called private property rights, or which I am a strong proponent. You can't tell people how to run their private land. It is none of your business. There are no perfect solutions,and a magic wand can't be waved to fix every thing. For now fwp is trying to use the public as a solution. Time will tell if they are able to do the job.

lets get the beef cows out of the mountains for 25 years and then see if as many elk come down to feed on private property, are you or anyone else sure the elk population is to high ? maybe its the beef population is too high ? yes private property rights are important so is preserving the mountains ,have you ever been in the mountains a mile away from a road ? the land has been abused ,litter,old fences ,no grass left,trees all rub or dead from cows ,dirty muddy water,old beef mineral areas,lots of old cow manure all over and you think elk can survive the winter on what is left after too many cattle have been up there all summer long ? someday in the future this better and needs to change .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While elk don't especially like cattle, they are essentially indifferent to each other. Cattle on NFS ground, apart from beating the chit out of it, are not an issue as far as elk hunting is concerned.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Don't you think that gaining access to ranches is in the 'bought' category wheras pushing into remote areas of public land is more in the 'earned' category?

Helping with roundups, spring calf work, fall immunizations and preg-checking, and fixing fence then being allowed access isn't exactly what I'd throw into the "bought" category.

I've helped with spring planting and fall harvest from driving trucks, moving equipment, ferrying grain carts, trimming trees, and parts/tool-runner bitch for a guy I know in northern MN and have 'Carte Blanche access to land I could never hunt for any amount of $$. I'll cash that in next fall when my daughter is old enough to participate in MN's youth deer season. I know a fair few landowners who wound't grant access for any amount of $$, but, it can be earned.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,989
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.