Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm looking for recommendations on a good outfitter for a 2019 hunt. I'm not particular about the state just looking for a reasonably priced hunt for a bull elk. If you have some ideas I would like to know,thx

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What do you consider "budget"? I would guess the best outfitters are booked for 2019, especially if they are under $5,000. What are you looking for?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Non resident elk tags are pretty pricey to start.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look into guided Ranching For Wildlife hunt in Colorado. I know some have elk hunts that I wouldn't consider trophy hunts that shouldn't be extremely high priced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a cow hunt?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wytex
Look into guided Ranching For Wildlife hunt in Colorado. I know some have elk hunts that I wouldn't consider trophy hunts that shouldn't be extremely high priced.

Just a clarification, a non-resident can pay to hunt on those ranches but it's not an RFW permit, those are for residents only.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Think it would be tough to find a decent hunt under 5 k plus non res license costs.

Think the better ranches run 7 to 8 k and book up fast. I guess depends on how big a bull want a chance of shooting

Last edited by ribka; 12/12/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ziggy
I'm looking for recommendations on a good outfitter for a 2019 hunt. I'm not particular about the state just looking for a reasonably priced hunt for a bull elk. If you have some ideas I would like to know,thx

State clearly what money amount you have in mind or are limited to. From that you’ll get solid advice. What’s reasonably priced to you might be laughable to others. No slam meant.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Just a clarification, a non-resident can pay to hunt on those ranches but it's not an RFW permit, those are for residents only.

Yep

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Other issues to consider...The cost of the outfitter is the big one, then you have tips to your guide, cook and packers, Typically those will be ten percent for guide, $100 to packers and $50 for cook. Then, you live in Austin, you will have travel expenses and then licenses. We have used outfitters in the past that charged $5,000 for 3rd season, All told we budgeted $7,000 per person. As others have said, that is probably on the low end and trying to find a good outfitter this late in 2018 to hunt in 2019 would be a challenge. But best of luck.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A good guided hunt won't be cheap, and a cheap guided hunt probably won't be good. As someone pointed out, the better outfits are already booked for 2019 and many are also filling up for 2020 if not beyond.

As you look at costs, remember that you're not just paying to get within range of a legal bull. You're also paying
1. To hunt in an area where the general public cannot go, and which a knowledgable outfitter and guides have scouted for months if not years before you arrive.
2. To hunt with people who know what to do and what NOT to do, which is probably more important.
3. For food and lodging.
4. For access to specialized gear (which could include horses, butchering facilities, freezers, mountain bikes, boats, and other stuff that you wouldn't think of unless you've hunted that area for years) that is properly maintained, pre-positioned, and standing by in the area where you're going to hunt.
5. Knowledge of supporting services (SAR, doctors, hospitals, law enforcement, sporting good stores, etc.) in the area.
6. For the manpower and the expertise to help you get a big animal out of the woods before it spoils.

A good guided hunt can be the experience of a lifetime. We can give you better advice if you tell us more about exactly what you're looking to do.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most likely lower guided hunt cost are going to be on public land where non guided hunters have access to.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found this outfitter for you You can check them out.
Wish you the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you get to thinking about cheaping out reread this:

"A good guided hunt won't be cheap, and a cheap guided hunt probably won't be good."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I went on one of these about six years ago, with my brother. We saw dozens of bulls and heard many more bugling. Both of us killed rag horn five points.
We did not see any thing close to a 300” bull. If there was trophy elk there it probably would have cost $10,000 instead of the $5000 we paid.
I have a friend that has gone there multiple times elk hunting and has killed a bull every year.
Not sure the cost these days, guessing $6000 or so. If that’s in your budget and you are not looking for a 300” plus trophy, this is a good option.
If questions, pm me.

NRA Patron
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I did the migration hunt on private land near Craig, Colorado for several years. Saw lots of elk and I always got a bull, though nothing big. These hunts were about $4750-$5000 when I started; I think they're around $6500 now. I'm spending more in northern New Mexico now, but the chance of getting a decent bull is far better.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by smokepole

No it's not a RFW permit but you do buy the tag directly from the ranch and they have a long season to hunt. No draw involved in RFW guided hunts though the ranch itself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.