Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A Big Bore Pocket Gun. An Engraved Colt SAA Sheriff's Model

Hello all,

I thought to share with you the story of one of my favorite guns in my collection. Its a Big Bore Pocket Gun. An Engraved Colt Single Action Army Sheriff's Model revolver. As you know from my previous posts, I love guns with stories to tell and this ones interesting.

This Colt is one of the rare 2nd Gen Sheriff's models of which only 503 were produced. These were commissioned by Centennial Arms Corp., Chicago, Illinois, in 1960. The Colt Factory letter for this gun lists it as sent to them on October 13th, 1960, in a 200 gun shipment. Gun is listed as a 3" .45 caliber with blued finish, stocks are not listed.

These were the first and only Sheriff's models made by Colt during the 2nd Generation period, and the only ones made since the First Generation production ended. Centennial Arms sold these guns for $139.95 in the early 60's.

The Colt Factory letter includes additional information telling that the gun was returned to the Factory in Feb. 1979 with a work order for Type B Engraving in Oak Leaf Style, with "Willie P. Dorman" in Script on Backstrap, Silver Medallion Ivory Grips, and finished in Full Silver Plate.

The Gun was Engraved by the famous Colt Master Engraver Howard Dove. "H. DOVE ENGR 1979" is stamped on the left side of the back strap under the left grip. I have the original copy of the work order from Colt Industries to Ace Pawn Shop. (a business that was owned by Mr. Dorman at the time) It listed this gun by serial number and shows the ordered Custom Work. The Ace Pawn Shop work letter lists all this in detail on their invoice and today the gun remains in the same configuration as when it was shipped back to Willie Dorman in 1980. The Custom work at the time cost $1,206.34 and took 14 months to complete. In today's 2018 dollars that would equal about $3,875.00 of custom work performed on a gun that had a $450 value at the time.

In addition, this Gun appears in the First Edition of Don Wilkerson's book; "The Post-War Colt Single Action Revolver." The gun was also featured in an article in the April 1987 Guns Magazine, page 44, by the Famed gun writer Robert O'meara. This gun is also pictured in a second article written by O'meara for the Australian Shooters Journal, June, 1993, page 46.

Fortunately, copies of both articles, a copy of Wilkerson's book picture, O'meara's Color photos, and all the original paperwork have been preserved in a 3-ring binder by the several owners over these last 50+ years. Several former owners' hand written notes and documentation tell interesting tid-bits of the gun's History. Notes, letters, and the photos from O'mera sent to one of the former owners have also been preserved. One of the hand written records recounts a 1-hour conversation that a new owner had with the engraver, Howard Dove, where Howard tells him this was the "First" and "Only" time he engraved "Oak Leaves and Acorns" on a gun. Howard went on to say that after Willie Dorman received the Customized revolver, after waiting 14 months, he returned the revolver back to the Colt Factory because his name was spelled wrong; "Dolman" instead of "Dorman". Howard said it was because of a secretarial error. Howard went on to tell that the incorrect name had to be buffed away, and then re-engraved the name with the correct spelling, and that it then had to be re-silver plated a second time. This inconvenience to Willie was compensated by a 17% discount shown on the final billing.

Notes by one of the former owners states that he had a conversations with Willie Dorman in 1993 when Willie was 57 years old. His hand written note states that Willie acquired the gun by trading a man a Winchester lever action rifle in 218B caliber. That man with whom he traded was the famous "Carbine Williams". (see link) Although owned by at least 7 collectors since 1960, the gun remains un-fired to this day. Its in NEW condition, with only the tarnish of time patina being added over the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
CONTINUED ..............

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting and well told, thank you.

I will admit when I saw the thread title I thought your were talking "wrist breakers".

.577x2" double

[Linked Image]

http://montywhitley.com/product/english-577-howdah-pistol-by-whistler-london/

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buckstix,
I drive by the Colt Building often. I think about the amazing work that came out of it over the long years that arms were produced there. Yours is a beauty.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do they do that? Is the background chiselled away & then stippled or just stippled?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Buckstix,
I drive by the Colt Building often. I think about the amazing work that came out of it over the long years that arms were produced there. Yours is a beauty.

Hello Bob_B257. Thanks for the reply. I sure like it. I talked with Colt today. Custom Engraving starts at $10,000 these days, and a couple of 3 years wait.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
How do they do that? Is the background chiselled away & then stippled or just stippled?

This is relief engraved, the background is cut away and then finished by beading. Beading is similar to stippling but the punch produces a rounded bead instead of a crater.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Beautiful old gun. Hard to believe it went through it's early life unfired. Thanks for sharing.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Hello Tyrone.

Thanks for the reply.

This is deep relief engraving. They cut-away the background, and then texture and darken it to really make it look 3-dimensional.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave284
Beautiful old gun. Hard to believe it went through it's early life unfired. Thanks for sharing.

Hello dave284.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its unfired and will stay that way as long as I own it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
This is relief engraved, the background is cut away and then finished by beading. Beading is similar to stippling but the punch produces a rounded bead instead of a crater.
Hello TheKid. Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's the way its done.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Interesting and well told, thank you.

I will admit when I saw the thread title I thought your were talking "wrist breakers".

.577x2" double

[Linked Image]

Hello DigitalDan. Thanks for the reply This one won't break your wrist.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.