H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by pete53

> yes they should non-residents pay more and the western states make more money of us too ,even liberal Colorado does.

That's the same attitude I've experienced from every person from WI when I've met them afield, on the water, or on the ice. Essentially, "You owe me because I paid more for a license."

The US should gift WI to France, or Iran.

So who is whining now? I could send you some Wisconsin cheese to go with that whine. LOL

WI residents outside the confines of WI hold THE title in world-class entitlement-bitchery.

Last edited by horse1; 12/11/18.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

> yes they should non-residents pay more and the western states make more money of us too ,even liberal Colorado does.

That's the same attitude I've experienced from every person from WI when I've met them afield, on the water, or on the ice. Essentially, "You owe me because I paid more for a license."

So who is whining now? I could send you some Wisconsin cheese to go with that whine. LOL

WI residents outside the confines of WI hold THE title in world-class entitlement-bitchery.

Is that the conclusion of a professional demographic study?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Can we see the data on this? Very interesting. Might even be true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a website full of conservatives who fancy state rights, there sure is a lot of selfishness going on.

Aside from using it as a management tool (which can be argued as to being "good" or "bad"), multiple use includes livestock grazing every bit as much as recreation, wildlife habitat and whatever else.

I am constantly amazed at how pro rights people are, until it doesn't benefit THEM or what they feel is important....then it's absolute bullshït.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Brad
MT FWP is run by landowners and the politicians that cater to them, not by science/biologists...

I talked to the retired FWP biologist that spent decades managing the Madison-Wall Creek Wildlife Management Area out of Ennis, Montana. Specifically, we talked about grazing allotments on the National Forest and the impact on elk. It was concluded by him that the cattle grazing on the National Forest had virtually no impact on the available grass for elk forage. He also mentioned how the elk moved out of the high country due to snow and weather conditions and not because of lack of grass.

Further, he explained the reasons for shoulder seasons and how landowners were involved in that decision process by FWP. The lies that Brad and Pete want to spread is nothing more than an emotional rant because they want to force landowners to allow them to hunt on private property in the name of game management. You guys need to get more information other than Gallatin Wildlife Federation and other environmentally based organizations that want to overturn private property rights for the sake of personal selfishness.

Nothing but crickets from the gallery I am sure, as our boys that want everything for themselves, realize they are not in the majority for wanting things their way...

I've been friends with that FWP biologist for the past 40 or so years. He is definitely a science biologist and has probably forgot more about elk biology than most that post here will ever know.

He once explained to me how with proper timing, allowing a proper number of cattle to graze on the forest land in the Wall Cr Area actually benefited the grazing for the elk.

This is what I was referring to in my post. This has been well studied and documented.

I'm not a biologist but I understand that some areas have above-optimal elk numbers. For me taste, I prefer more elk! I buy B draw tags every year and don't fill them just to preclude someone else from filling them (for my wife and myself). However I'm not doing it to spite ranchers; I support their existence. I did a project in eastern MT for the BLM on lease land in 3 counties and visited almost every BLM lease to work on water features. I found that almost all of the ranchers were stunningly well informed and caring about their charge as lease holders. I also discovered that without them, there would not be nearly the amount of water available for wildlife. In eastern MT the ranchers sustain an artificially high number of wildlife as a coincidence of their grazing. Without their land (and water) maintenance there would be less wildlife. I know this discussion pertains to FS leases and while my experience with these lease holders is limited, I'm confident the FS ranchers are cut from the same cloth.

The OP seems to think he should be able to hunt around flat land ranches, where trucks are driving about, and get a wilderness experience. Again I will suggest that he puts in a bit of effort rather than coming on here and complaining. Those folks driving about through elk only serve to drive them into the mountains where they are huntable by those without permission. Worse would be sitting on a high ridge with no elk sign and watching a thousand head bedded peacefully on ranch land. I think many of us have been there. Also, the old damage hunt system was only for landowners that allowed some amount of public access--isn't the shoulder season the same? I know multiple large land holders that allow access just so that they could have damage hunt rights. I think the shoulder season further motivates ranchers to allow public access.

A few years ago there was a ballot measure to increase NR license fees. Have the OP's posts here motivated any from MT to vote differently?

Should we now explore the role that wolves have played in running elk out of the mountains and into the flats?

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
For a website full of conservatives who fancy state rights, there sure is a lot of selfishness going on.

Aside from using it as a management tool (which can be argued as to being "good" or "bad"), multiple use includes livestock grazing every bit as much as recreation, wildlife habitat and whatever else.

I am constantly amazed at how pro rights people are, until it doesn't benefit THEM or what they feel is important....then it's absolute bullshït.

+1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have a lot of friends in WI, so I know there are good people there. One time I camped next to four guys from WI (strangers), who had made the trip down to hunt a very nice part of the "liberal Colorado" mountains. A part like they don't have in WI. They shot three elk, recovered two.
Gave up on one, said there was a blood trail but it was going uphill so the bull wasn't hurt bad. They left one up on the mountain,for about two days, only a mile away with four of 'em in camp. The guy who shot it dodn't pack any out, but was back down in camp, celebrating. Told me he'd just "go into town, call up an outfitter with horses, and get him out here."

I told him not to count on that, it being hunting season and outfitters being busy with their clients. He told me it'd be no problem, but he was back in a couple hours with his dick in his hand. I gave him the name of the outfitter who I knew was licensed in this particular area and luckily, the guy had some time but it took him another day to get out there. Meanwhile these four lazy F***s left the elk up on the mountain, waiting for the man with horses. I'm pretty sure they were party hunting too because all four were talking about shooting bulls but they let it slip that they only had two bull tags.

It does crack me up to hear someone from WI talk about some other place being liberal though.

I only tell this story because like you horse, I'm tired of listening to NR hunters bitch and moan. If it was up to me, there'd be a lot fewer where I hunt, they're ruining the damn place. I once had another guy from WI complain about "too many people hunting here" when he saw me come around a bend in the trail. Like I ruined his day or something. I sat down on the log next to him and told him I'd been hunting the place for years but didn't remember seeing him back in there. Of course I hadn't, it was the first time he'd hunted the area.

The same guy came stumbling into our camp after dark that night, lost. He was headed down a creek bed that was rough as a corn cob, would've taken him a loooong time to get back to the trailhead. The trail (heavily used and on every map of the area) was about 80 yards up the mountian.

I know a group from MN that come out every year and party hunt. It is a thing from that region. I don't agree with it but they are salt of the earth guys and I don't complain.

I ran into a group while bow hunting. There were no elk and I called in 4 guys from also from MN as I recall. They told me they had all tagged out but one in the past two weeks. Funny thing was all 4 had an arrow knocked as they slipped in. Hmmmm.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by T_Inman

+1

+2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big white cowboy pushes down.

Cattle feeding up high send them into hay fields earlier, but some herds have over the years never decided to leave the buffet on the bottom. Problem in a way.......but not really.

If grazing permits reflected true market value, and predator control was not tax payer subsidized, and if the Vikings would ever win a Super Bowl perhaps we could all b happy!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Angus1895

If grazing permits reflected true market value, and predator control was not tax payer subsidized, and if the Vikings would ever win a Super Bowl perhaps we could all b happy!

We are missing $10-15k worth of cattle that are hopefully still alive out on the BLM/CMR.

Calves are lighter, higher rate of opens, it's cheaper for a reason but still a deal.

And the Vikings looked like chit last night.

Our home county charges us $1k(?) a year for predator control. It's all private property and we'd have to put in a request which of course we never do.

Donation.

Mike, the buffalo prairie dumbfucks said they were gonna take out all the man made stock dams.

By God turn it back to how it used to be, 100% natural...

Hopefully they thought about that idea a little longer.

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/11/18.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I heard it was about 18 cents a pair a day?

What is it now?

What does the federal government charge for wolf control above the 18 cents a day?

I totally agree about the queens.........awful!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/11/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh they are cheap. No doubt.

I don't even know for sure, my grazing association bill wasn't detailed enough.

You pay for the remoteness in diesel fuel and trucking.

6 month lease, have fun with other 6 months.

If you're really serious about trying to make money in the cow game PM me.....lol

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/11/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 2 busy trying to choke down the purple koolaide here in Duluth Minnesota.

Gawds do they need offensive lineman! You need 2 send em some beef 2 eat. Grins

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson

We are missing $10-15k worth of cattle that are hopefully still alive out on the BLM/CMR.

Calves are lighter, higher rate of opens, it's cheaper for a reason but still a deal.

Our home county charges us $1k(?) a year for predator control. It's all private property and we'd have to put in a request which of course we never do.

Donation.

Mike, the buffalo prairie dumbfucks said they were gonna take out all the man made stock dams.

We put bird ramps in water tanks. Some enviro group was trying to kick ranchers from BLM--they were defending a rare bat species that were drowning in tanks, as well as a few birds. Funny thing was that everyone who cared knew that without the stock tanks the bats likely wouldn't have been able to live there at all! What will the buffalo people do when they start causing prairie chickens, prairie dogs, and mysterious bats go regionally-extinct?

The work to kick ranchers off of public land is constant and poorly thought-out. What do these clowns think the alternative is to ranches?? One college student had been in the area studying a hawk species and was upset to find so many--he was hoping they would be endangered for the cause. Tough enough that the poor folks I met had to fight the elements, drought, and global markets but they also live in limbo that grazing leases could disappear at any time. When I asked why so few adult children worked the ranches the response was that there is not enough revenue to support their young families. Hard to watch such an incredible culture die on the vine and listen to so many liberals mindlessly cheer their demise. I guess getting to know these ranchers and learn their struggles hit a soft spot; I met two widows that were struggling to run their ranches alone so their grandchildren could someday know their lifestyle. If liberals cared to learn about the culture and people that are endangered they might just want to set up protections for them. Most of them can't seem to see the nose in front of their face, like the owner (from New Jersey) of one motel by the park in Ennis told me, "there's no culture here."

Sorry for the rant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother in law from England came to visit us in Leadore.

He told my bride ( his sister) and I there is nothing here!

Laffin

I ain't going no where!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If you're really serious about trying to make money in the cow game PM me.....lol

"I know a man who made a small fortune raising cattle.

Of course, he started out with a large fortune......"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by headwatermike

Donation.

We put bird ramps in water tanks. Some enviro group was trying to kick ranchers from BLM--they were defending a rare bat species that were drowning in tanks, as well as a few birds. Funny thing was that everyone who cared knew that without the stock tanks the bats likely wouldn't have been able to live there at all! What will the buffalo people do when they start causing prairie chickens, prairie dogs, and mysterious bats go regionally-extinct?

The work to kick ranchers off of public land is constant and poorly thought-out. What do these clowns think the alternative is to ranches?? One college student had been in the area studying a hawk species and was upset to find so many--he was hoping they would be endangered for the cause. Tough enough that the poor folks I met had to fight the elements, drought, and global markets but they also live in limbo that grazing leases could disappear at any time. When I asked why so few adult children worked the ranches the response was that there is not enough revenue to support their young families. Hard to watch such an incredible culture die on the vine and listen to so many liberals mindlessly cheer their demise. I guess getting to know these ranchers and learn their struggles hit a soft spot; I met two widows that were struggling to run their ranches alone so their grandchildren could someday know their lifestyle. If liberals cared to learn about the culture and people that are endangered they might just want to set up protections for them. Most of them can't seem to see the nose in front of their face, like the owner (from New Jersey) of one motel by the park in Ennis told me, "there's no culture here."

Sorry for the rant.

I've put about an 18" piece of 2x12 in my tanks. No more drown birds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What works really good is a piece of expanded metal on an angled board . Uber traction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ranch that grazed our pastures had a government tank. Ramps poured into the mold.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A bit off topic, but I spent 5 years in Arizona and hunted the northern part with my wife and her family for elk a few times. They are from there. It was amazing that large parts of northern Arizona have no surface water at all. There are huge pipelines that ranchers have put in for hundreds of miles that put water in essentially waterless areas both on private and public land. That in addition to dirt tanks that gather rain water, is why there are elk and deer in many of those areas. Historically elk didn't live there because there was no water. The ranchers did that. My father in law's wind mills water a lot of wildlife in addition to his cows.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.