Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here we go again ! So I've did prime rib for years, hailbutt, ham, evern deep fried frog legs all u can eat ! The kids are hollering " prime rib" as Xmas is about the one time a year I really put the work into making it perfect ( select,age ,season,stuff,then slow roll it on my weber kettle a la rotisseur) as far as hams go they are purrty much heat and eat ,I don't like to add crust etc to hams ...cause with hams there is a good amount of left overs and I don't like crust flavors in my leftover ham dishes ! One thing I do ...do to make a great moist ham is ...I never remove the vac pack bag it comes in ...never ..I place it wrapper and all on a pan an slide in the oven at 170....all day it only needs to get to 140 to be ready ..I let it hang at 150 for a while and call her good the bag will have swelled up like a balloon so watch out > ham so moist u need to bake 2 loafs of bread to soak up the goodness ! So what do i do this year.......hummmmm.... shocked

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Crown Roast Of Pork, using this recipe:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crown-roast-of-pork-with-lady-apples-and-shallots

[Linked Image]

I am funny about pork so I cook mine at 350 degrees till the internal temp reads 140 degrees.

INGREDIENTS

2 8-bone racks of pork (about 4 pounds each), chine bone removed, fat trimmed to ¼-inch thick, rib bones frenched
1½ cups (packed) light brown sugar
10 ounces kosher salt (2 cups Diamond Crystal or 1¼ cups Morton)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
12 garlic cloves, finely grated
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus 8 sprigs
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 ounces bacon, chopped
12 lady apples, halved
1½ pounds shallots, peeled, halved lengthwise if large
3 cups dry hard cider

RECIPE PREPARATION

Lay racks of pork flat on work surface, meaty side down (the inside of the ribs should be facing up). Use a knife to make 3 vertical 3"-long slits (about 1" deep) into the loins of each rack, 1 slit between every 2 ribs. Place each rack of pork into a 1-gal. resealable plastic bag and chill.

Heat brown sugar, salt, and 4 cups water in a large saucepan over medium, stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vinegar and 4 cups ice water. Chill brine until cold, about 1 hour.

Divide brine between bags with pork and seal, squeezing out excess air; chill pork 8–24 hours.

Remove pork from bags and pat dry. Place on a large rimmed baking sheet; let sit 2 hours to bring to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 300°. Mix garlic, chopped thyme, mustard seeds, pepper, ¼ cup mustard, and 2 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl. Smear all over pork, working into slits; tuck thyme sprigs into slits. Upend both racks so they’re parallel to one another with bones facing up and slits facing out. Curve racks toward each other so they meet at both ends to form a crown (call a friend to help with this part). Holding pork in place, encircle racks with string and tie securely in 2 places: around rib bones and around thickest part of loin. If desired, wrap tops of bones individually with foil to keep them from burning.

Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook bacon, stirring often, until fat is rendered and edges are crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a roasting pan with a slotted spoon.

Working in 2–3 batches, add apples, cut side down, and shallots to same skillet and cook over medium-high heat (undisturbed) until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer apples to roasting pan; turn shallots and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 3 minutes. Transfer to roasting pan.

Remove skillet from heat and carefully add cider, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Pour liquid into roasting pan and place pork in the center, pushing apples and shallots to the edges; reserve skillet. Roast pork until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of loin registers 135°, 1¾–2¼ hours.

Remove roast from oven and transfer apples and shallots to a platter; tent with foil. Increase oven temperature to 500°. Transfer pork to a cutting board and pour pan juices into reserved skillet. Return pork to roasting pan; roast until browned and crisp all over, 5–10 minutes. Transfer roast back to cutting board and let rest 30–45 minutes before cutting into chops.

Just before serving, whisk remaining 2 Tbsp. mustard into pan juices in skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, whisking often, until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, 7–10 minutes.

Transfer pork chops to platter with apples and shallots; spoon sauce over.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
frown....Did that.... smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes Miss Lynn !!

Deb & I decided last night that, that's what we would be taking to my Brothers place !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have been doing a whole strip loin roast the last few years. Not as tender as a prime rib. To me prime can be kinda mushy at med rare though, prefer the little extra chew of the strip. It seems to be easier to get a strip with more marbling in the meat and has more flavor than a prime rib in my opinion. Costco has been my go to spot. Last couple years I got USDA prime grade for 8.99 a pound. Same technique as prime for cooking. If anything the strip seems to cook a bit faster. I season, brown it then in a 275 oven for around three hours depending on the exact size.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ham, and sirloin tip roast is the plan here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do a chinese turkey.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ham, and sirloin tip roast is the plan here.

I love ham, what time is dinner ? Can I bring anything ? Casual dress or fancy schmancy ?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ha! Any way you like Miss Lynn. Time, about 12:30. Buff up on your Marques of Queensbury rules, we plan on an orderly family dinner. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swedish meatballs have continued to encroach on all of our holiday meals, including Thanksgiving (in addition to turkey). Wanted to do a prime rib but our open house format doesn't work well with that--so it'll be spiral cut ham and other buffet items.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to smoke a few honkers grin for Christmas back when I leased a blind for about 10 years.

Kids would always roll their eyes back then.

Now as adults they whine and lament the absence of Dads smoked Christmas geese.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Leg of lamb. Can never go wrong with lamb.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Here we go again ! So I've did prime rib for years, hailbutt, ham, evern deep fried frog legs all u can eat ! The kids are hollering " prime rib" as Xmas is about the one time a year I really put the work into making it perfect ( select,age ,season,stuff,then slow roll it on my weber kettle a la rotisseur) as far as hams go they are purrty much heat and eat ,I don't like to add crust etc to hams ...cause with hams there is a good amount of left overs and I don't like crust flavors in my leftover ham dishes ! One thing I do ...do to make a great moist ham is ...I never remove the vac pack bag it comes in ...never ..I place it wrapper and all on a pan an slide in the oven at 170....all day it only needs to get to 140 to be ready ..I let it hang at 150 for a while and call her good the bag will have swelled up like a balloon so watch out > ham so moist u need to bake 2 loafs of bread to soak up the goodness ! So what do i do this year.......hummmmm.... shocked

Surprise them with frozen pizza's! haha

I think we will be doing a ham. I want to try cooking it the way you stated above.The last two ham's my wife made turned out dry.

Quick question though....what keeps the bag from melting?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, Always a good smoked ham, which we get with our whole local pig package.

We start the day with Mimosas, Ham & sunny side up local farm eggs & sourdough toast or English muffins.

Boxing day breakfast is always "nest eggs" (per previous shirred (sp?) egg thread)

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Crown roast of pork with stuffing , great looking and delicious too boot!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How about a hippopotamus for Christmas? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Totinos pizza rolls

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lol..pizza bagels over done ..yum !.......HAM...the food grade plastic they wrap them in don't melt ...keep the temp low like I said I have done them from frozen and they turn out fine ! ....u well be able to tell how it's going ..the juices that would have run off and burned to the pan will be a 1" deep on/In the wrap... also u only get one good poke with your temp pen as u will be putting a hole in the bag / stay high and know where the bone is so u get real readings ...leave the bag on thu the whole cook u can keep it above 150degs for a while and it an it going to dry out in the least bit. Please report back your findings . That juice that a good ham puts out ..deserves red taters lol!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ps...I came up with the cook it in the bag ..as Popeye would say ( and I joined in )....when he had his last dry ham ..."I had all I can stands and I can't stands no more" good stuff !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Lol..pizza bagels over done ..yum !.......HAM...the food grade plastic they wrap them in don't melt ...keep the temp low like I said I have done them from frozen and they turn out fine ! ....u well be able to tell how it's going ..the juices that would have run off and burned to the pan will be a 1" deep on/In the wrap... also u only get one good poke with your temp pen as u will be putting a hole in the bag / stay high and know where the bone is so u get real readings ...leave the bag on thu the whole cook u can keep it above 150degs for a while and it an it going to dry out in the least bit. Please report back your findings . That juice that a good ham puts out ..deserves red taters lol!

Sounds good. I'll give it a try with a lowly spiral cut ham. Care to guesstimate time per pound ????

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.