Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bangum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'll check these other gunmakers out. Im close enough to make a drive and have a chat with Cooper if they allow it. Then about 20 miles east there is Defensive Edge. If I were going to have a full custom built I would like to handle the stock and see the components. I could handle a bit longer stock.

I have a few rifles but all are factory. I thought I would treat myself to something special. LOL.

I have 2 nice scopes and they are the real reason I wanted another rifle. No use setting on the shelf with nothing to put them on.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

GB1

B
Bangum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm not against getting a 7mm-08. My wife has one in a model 7 stainless and it's a tack driver. She has taken a few elk, s moose and a nice whitetail buck with it and all have dropped in their tracks.

Maybe I should checkout this Fieldcraft rifle.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've guided only one hunter that had a Cooper. It developed feeding issues so he had a very expensive single shot for the duration of his hunt. Of the choices you listed I would pick a Nosler all day. Your budget would allow you to get one of their custom rifles too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've owned quite a few Coopers, and only had an issue with two early production M52's. Serial numbers were in the low 100's.

Dan Cooper paid to next day air them both ways, and I had them both back in less than a week.

The rest were all good.

From what I hear, their customer service is still just as good today.

From all reports, you could not go wrong with a 7-08 Fieldcraft, and the price is very attractive.

But if you really want a 280AI, you should get one. Don't compromise.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d get a Barrett Fieldcraft in The LA of your choice. I far and away prefer it to the SA version primarily because it has a no.2 contour and 24” bbl. You can always cut the 24” barrel, but you can’t add length or beef to the 21” no.1 contour of the SA Filedcraft.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Brad
I’d get a Barrett Fieldcraft in The LA of your choice. I far and away prefer it to the SA version primarily because it has a no.2 contour and 24” bbl. You can always cut the 24” barrel, but you can’t add length or beef to the 21” no.1 contour of the SA Filedcraft.

THIS ^^^
Then invest the balance toward some good glass, and go hunt.
Good luck in your decision !

Last edited by Cattledog; 12/12/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The L/A Fieldcrafts are Goat Fhuqks,due mag constraints and the S/A versions blow them out of the fhuqking water,due the fact they are mechanically aligned in RPM,throat geometry and COAL latitude.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not sure what the 24" 7-08 has over the 21" 7-08? Ditto in the Creedmoor.

And, if you're using a decent scope (read 3-9MQ or 6X MQ), its easy to dial the drop or use the reticle to aim.

The longer action and barrel doesn't seem to offer anything of substance?

Last edited by David_Walter; 12/13/18.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter

And, if you're using a decent scope (read 3-9MQ or 6X MQ), its easy to dial the drop or use the reticle to aim.

The point is the barrel contour difference. IMO Barret screwed the pooch putting a no.1 contour on its SA's...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

The longer action and barrel offers better balance and, at least for me, balance is an important attribute in the overall package..

As noted previously, the short action Fieldcrafts that I've handled were all butt-heavy like the Remington Sevens with 18.5" and 20" barrels tend to be.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The longer action and barrel offers better balance and, at least for me, balance is an important attribute in the overall package..

As noted previously, the short action Fieldcrafts that I've handled were all butt-heavy like the Remington Sevens with 18.5" and 20" barrels tend to be.

The bulk of that "better balance" is the no. 2 contour found on the LA. But I agree, the SA's no.1 barrel is too short and it does balance more like that ultimate POS the Rem 7... but a 21" no.2 contour would have helped big time. 22"+ would have been even better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've fired some impressive (for me) sub 1" 10 shot groups with my 21" 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft. I'm not sure the heavier barrel adds to precision. And I'm with Stick on the long action. IMHO, and I have a fraction of the experience of you all, long actions are overcome by great rounds now available for short actions.

Balance, that's an individual thing.

John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've fired some impressive (for me) sub 1" 10 shot groups with my 21" 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft. I'm not sure the heavier barrel adds to precision. And I'm with Stick on the long action. IMHO, and I have a fraction of the experience of you all, long actions are overcome by great rounds now available for short actions.

Balance, that's an individual thing.

The ability to shoot small groups is only one small aspect of what makes a great HUNTING rifle...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
As much as I love Montuckys,I'd not want one in 280AI,due the mechanical relationship of throat/twist/COAL.

They do however make SPLENDID Donors for 6-06,due them trite confines and the concessions associated.

Hint........................

What is the internal length of the mag on Kimber SA and LA's?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jeffbird

2.840" and 3.360" +/-

I like the Kimber SA, the LA not so much... both would be far better with no.2 contours.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've spent a fair amount of time with the #0 contour 21" 6.5 Fieldcraft and the #2 contour 22" 6.5 Fieldcraft (not as much time w/the #2). Shooting prone, both of them put up impressive groups, even over long shot strings. From a rest I'll take either of them. Shooting offhand I'm steadier with the #2. That's it in a nutshell for me.

I like the balance on the long action I have but I've had trouble spending much time with it....I just keep grabbing the short actions. A longer mag box and it would check all the boxes for my preferences, but I shouldn't complain as I've not even run any long bullets in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

2.840" and 3.360" +/-

I like the Kimber SA, the LA not so much... both would be far better with no.2 contours.

Which gets back to the point that several of us advocated. If you have $3500 to spend BUILD THE SUMBITCH!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think JCM nailed it.

Get the 22” Black and Green Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor, top it with a 3-9 SWFA mil/mil first focal plane scope, buy 800 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHP bulk ammo for practice and a case of 200 143 ELDX precision hunter and go forth and kill God’s creatures big and small.

John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think JCM nailed it.

Get the 22” Black and Green Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor, top it with a 3-9 SWFA mil/mil first focal plane scope, buy 800 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHP bulk ammo for practice and a case of 200 143 ELDX precision hunter and go forth and kill God’s creatures big and small.

Not a fan of Ceracote, and have no desire to take the thing to the smith and spend good money to cut off the barrel tumor to end up with a 21" barrel, when the 6.5x55 or 270 already exist, Ceracote free, and with longer no.2 contours.

Truth is, the 6.5x55 might be the best rifle Barrett makes... but to each his own.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

2.840" and 3.360" +/-

Which gets back to the point that several of us advocated. If you have $3500 to spend BUILD THE SUMBITCH!

Exactly!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,936
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.