-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a DEWALT Bare-Tool DCD760B 1/2-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Compact Drill/Driver in April 2014

It died a year and a half later. I just got another 18Volt drill* from Amazon and put a sticker on it that said "dead".

Two weeks ago a guy with no college education but dozens of electronics patents, wanted it to take it apart.

Today he showed me how the fan lugs anchor between the steel laminate core and use space at a larger diameter than the rotor and brushes... to make the motor shorter.

It seems to completely assemble without rotor and brushes for easy troubleshooting.

*I also got a 20Volt drill in 2015 that swaps batteries with the chainsaw. The 20Volt batteries last much longer than the 18 Volt.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Makita LXT has been the best lithium ion battery in the business. I have Dewalt’s 18V stuff too.

Look for the Japanese made Makita tools. They’re Makita’s industrial line. They can cost upwards of 3x, but you get what you pay for.

A bonus is their USB adapter.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kingston
Makita LXT has been the best lithium ion battery in the business. I have Dewalt’s 18V stuff too.

Look for the Japanese made Makita tools. They’re Makita’s industrial line. They can cost upwards of 3x, but you get what you pay for.

[Linked Image]

Those batteries have the F'ing chip in them that'll permanently lock them from being charged. Have had it happen both hot and cold. Is there a work around? My drill/impact set from 2006 was great but I ended up having to replace batteries twice, drill twice and charger once. Impact is going strong! I gave up on the Brand due to the battery issue. Hot, like ran tool hard and immediately placed battery on the charger, or cold like - 25F without running to first warm up before attempting to charge. Instantly and permanently gives one solid red light, FUBAR.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by kingston

[Linked Image]

Those batteries have the F'ing chip in them that'll permanently lock them from being charged. Have had it happen both hot and cold. Is there a work around? My drill/impact set from 2006 was great but I ended up having to replace batteries twice, drill twice and charger once. Impact is going strong! I gave up on the Brand due to the battery issue. Hot, like ran tool hard and immediately placed battery on the charger, or cold like - 25F without running to first warm up before attempting to charge. Instantly and permanently gives one solid red light, FUBAR.

Keep 'em charged, don't let them freeze, that 's what shuts the battery down.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have one of those and they are GREAT. It charges my iphone faster than the damn wall charger does.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I have one of those and they are GREAT. It charges my iphone faster than the damn wall charger does.........

Well, they're unlike the Dewalt which will give you a Hot indication then charge when the battery cools. The Makita chip will lock it up forever. Same -25, other battery, run tool for a minute to warm up, then charges fine. Other battery, locked up forever. Yes, I fugged that one up in the cold. First Montana winter lol... But running a tool, throw battery in the charger and it's made never usable again by the chip, not an actual bad cell, just hot, pure, horsechit Makita. There's no reset, no reprogram, nada, that I've been able to find... Would strongly recommend against. Do want a phone charger doohicky now though! I'll run that impact as long as it'll go, it's been a great tool. Gone Dewalt and passed the point of no return... I actually used a corded drill the other day as it was closer than going to get the cordless! Crazy times.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 12/12/18.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m a Dewalt 18 volt guy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Me too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Traditionally, the Dewalt 18V was always the best bang for the buck with quality batteries available @ 2 for $100 and lots of rugged tools priced super competitivly. This is what I stocked the job trailer and shop with. My truck is loaded with Makita LXT. At the rate batteries and impact pact drivers disappeared, I wasn’t going to pony up for the more expensive LXT Lion batteries and Japanese manufactured brushless tools.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Makita for me. I have been using their tools for over 40 years and in that time I have never had a motor fail. Milwaukee would be #2. I'm still using a 9v drill that's seen about 25 years of hard use and still going strong.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Festool.

Mic drop.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
After Christmas sale, They are all good - I use DeWalt but I get great deals at a Pawn Shop..

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get another dewalt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Milwaukee and Makita are owned by the same parent company, there is a bit of crossover as far as technology is concerned.

Makita introduced the first commercial cordless drill, and tends to be a half step ahead in others when it comes to batteries and motors--which is the most important parts of cordless drill/drivers. Makita batteries will last longer.

Milwaukee makes very good stuff, the quality of the rest of the tool (besides battery and motor) seems to be a tad better than Makita.

Dewalt is generally a few dollars less, and offered the bang-for-the-buck factor. After suffering a bit during the recession,, Dewalt has come back strong and is offering a lot of new, useful tools currently.

Ryobi isn't bad, the batteries are shorter lived than the above brands.

I really wouldn't mess with Rigid.

Panasonic, Hitachi, and Porter Cable aren't bad, but their cordless tools are a step behind the big three these days.

Pick your favorite color, pick a battery voltage (although I think some of the DeWalt stuff can run either 20v or 18v batteries), and stick with the same brand and battery--it makes life more simple.

The bigger the battery, the heavier the tool.

Couple things: KEEP YOUR BATTERIES CHARGED. It makes them last longer. Don't deplete them and then throw 'em in the corner and let them sit. Don't let them freeze. A fully charged battery doesn't freeze as easily as a depleted battery.

The lithium batteries have a chip in them to communicate with the charger and not allow the lithium batteries to melt down when things go wrong (see Boeing). There is a minimum voltage threshold and if the battery is depleted, freezes, drops the voltage below that minimum threshold, it permanently shuts down the battery. The Makitas have the most sophisticated chip and are the first to shut off the battery--there is no way to undo it, either.

I have a Craftsman kit I bought a while back 18v ni-cad.
The batteries all went toes up, the tools are fine.

So, I bought a drill, and something else to get the lithium batteries that come with them (cheaper then buying batteries)

Last weekend i need a drill, every battery but one is stone dead. Even one i left in the "wont overcharge and kill the battery charger".

Could this be from a chip.

Cordless is great for me. I might do a project that is intensive, but most use is less than one battery charge.

I am done. I have a 12v Milwaukee drill that's perfect, except no batteries.
Now 6 or eight lightly used worthless tools more.

Convience be damned I'm back to extension cords.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Ryobi and like it real well, the wife got me a Ryobi circular saw with laser cutting guide for Christmas. I also have Ryobi yard equipment, trimmer and blower that I've used for the last several seasons and they too work well and are a good value. For heavy duty work the Milwauke cannot be beat, used one on the job and it had plenty of power to tackle the toughest jobs.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have Milwaukee at home and I’m rough on them. The Techs at my local Site had all Milwaukee and have been going to Dewalt. They did have a cache of parts for me it seems😁 They said triggers are constantly breaking and I’ve noticed battery issue like the first Dewalt Lithium’s had 10 years ago. Think it had to do with impacts to batteries damaging cells. I was surprised but yesterday the last Milwaukee went out and they told me “just chuck it their junk throw-aways” A few Techs had 28v setups at home they gave up on to. Not my experience, my set has been going strong for 5 years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Hilti.

Like SnapOn. Cry once.

Snap on at one time made cordless drivers, maybe they still do.

I bought my 18V Dewalt in 2000 or 2001, my mechanic friend and I were having beers one night and decided to see just who's was better, my Dewalt or his Snap-on. We took a short screw bit and chucked them both to it. One, two, three.........I broke his chuck off......we had a good laugh. Of course, the Snap on guy replaced his free of charge.

I still use the Dewalt but like the OP's, its getting tired.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I have several perfectly good drills that have no batteries that work. Dewalt, Milwaukie, Firestorm or whatever the low end Dewalt was, Craftsman and Makita. I bought a new battery for the Makita and it's going down now. My son likes Hitachi and Makita. I don't think any of them are much worth what they cost.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I am a contractor, and at any one time I probably have 6 to 8 cordless drills in circulation. I've used about all brands including Milwaukee and Dewalt, but anymore Makita is my preferred brand....I've just had good luck with them. I'm still a little sore at Milwaukee when a few years back they updated their batteries and charger systems so batteries weren't readily interchangeable between their old and new tools. I still have a few Milwaukee power tools, but anything with a battery I go with Mikita.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kroo88
Milwaukee or Dewalt, Impact/Drill combo set

Prefer my Milwaukee impact and drills over Dewalts, JMO

Agree completely. The Dewalt 20 volt can't keep up with the 18 volt Milwaukee Fuel.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,855
Posts18,478,502
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.