Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, Doug...cause I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to stop the masked bandits from getting to the corn. I have a friend whose club builds a round table on a metal post (like a polished rod for you oilfield hands).The table looks to be 5-6' in diameter and the corn is placed toward the middle. He told me the only pictures they have with critters eating the corn is deer and bears. He has shown me photos of coons hanging onto the edge of the table for dear life but have never had a pic of them on the table and eating the corn. Also, hogs can't get to it either. They seem happy with them.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That sounds interesting, my method cost $10 and less than an hour from start to finish. I move my feeders from time to time, without issue.

Doug

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I need to get one to find out what's stealing our eggs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
But my brother didn't hunt primitive this year.

Does it count as primitive baiting them with an electronic feeder, aided by cameras? grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I started a new lease that I thought would be good for hogs. My first game cam pictures amounted to 6200 of nothing but cows.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cas6969

Does it count as primitive baiting them with an electronic feeder, aided by cameras? grin
Lewis and Clark ran out of range finder batteries before they even reached the Rockies. However, the scopes on their inlines didn't fog up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by cas6969

Lewis and Clark ran out of range finder batteries before they even reached the Rockies. However, the scopes on their inlines didn't fog up.

Guys-it's worse than that in our state. Inlines are out of date now. We allow certain types of single-shots in cartridges such as the 45/70, 44 mag., and the 35 Whelen. As far as I know those would probably be the 3 most popular. It's hard to find anyone around here that even shoots ANY kind of blackpowder firearm. All one has to do is follow the reasoning of our legislators, and here is their reasoning...$$$$$$$$$$$

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DouginLa
That sounds interesting, my method cost $10 and less than an hour from start to finish. I move my feeders from time to time, without issue.

Doug

Doug-here is one of the gentleman's feeders. As you can see, it does work. He has posted pictures of bears eating at the table on fb, but I'm not smart enough to know how to get them to post. I have also seen younger deer trying to eat off of it. Obviously, the only thing the piney woods rooters get is the crumbs that fall from the table.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
And for those who care to know, my friend whose stand overlooks this feeder will pass on all 3 of these bucks because he knows from his cameras that there are much larger bucks on their lease which also includes a good bit of family land in the mix. Contrary to what some of my posts sound like, I don't look down on anyone who hunts using cameras or other legal means. It's just not what I choose to do. This man and his grandson have killed some of the largest bucks I have seen from around here and neither one has pulled the trigger this year. In fact, they faced the down side of their hunting style earlier this week. A 9 point that most of us in this neck of the woods would have gladly pulled the trigger on had been passed up twice this season, only to find it's way on the club next door where a guy killed it and was probably the best deer he had ever killed.

But I want everyone to know that I don't begrudge anyone for killing a deer by any legal means!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks DouginLA, I look forward to trying your solution. Simple and inexpensive is just what I needed.

Those who have never used feeders don't know that fighting the coons, hogs and cattle is sometimes the biggest challenge to a successful deer season. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I set cameras out after flintlock season is over in January. I check them every weekend until mid march. Gets me and my buddy in the woods, and we learn a lot. Cameras are actually a big part of my woods time now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Checking the cameras is part of the fun for me. They let you know some of what is around to hunt for. Old deer tend to avoid them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have never had one stolen but we are using them on our own private property. I suppose we might get a trespasser at some point

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And for those who care to know, my friend whose stand overlooks this feeder will pass on all 3 of these bucks because he knows from his cameras that there are much larger bucks on their lease which also includes a good bit of family land in the mix. Contrary to what some of my posts sound like, I don't look down on anyone who hunts using cameras or other legal means. It's just not what I choose to do. This man and his grandson have killed some of the largest bucks I have seen from around here and neither one has pulled the trigger this year. In fact, they faced the down side of their hunting style earlier this week. A 9 point that most of us in this neck of the woods would have gladly pulled the trigger on had been passed up twice this season, only to find it's way on the club next door where a guy killed it and was probably the best deer he had ever killed.

But I want everyone to know that I don't begrudge anyone for killing a deer by any legal means!

Where is the downside of the neighbors shooting the 9 point?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DouginLa
One question for you concerning the feeder in the first photo, how do you keep the raccoons out of the corn??

Not Ruger77Shooter, but I have tried everything, the shark teeth, motor cages, grease on the poles, and every other gizmo you can imagine. Finally came up with something that worked 100% of the time. Heck don't even get pics of coons like I used to. (up to 10 at a time).

Go to Lowes and buy a link of 3"dia. PVC THIN WALLED pipe, 10ft length. I used 4", but we used 3" on my buddy's and it worked great. Cut the pipe in 3 equal pieces. On one end of each 3ft joint drill a 3/8" hole about 1" from the end. Get a good piece of braided string like what is used for trot lines about 5' long, tie one end of the string to the 3/8" hole and run it thru the inside of the pipe. Now drill a small hole in the feeder legs, as high as possible, small enough a self tapping screw will just start, but will not screw all the way in. Slide the pipe over the leg of the feeder and secure the string to the screw in the leg. What you should end up with is a free floating pipe a coon cannot get ahold of. The coons will still come around and eat what is on the ground, but cannot climb the feeder. You will be amazed how much corn you will save.

Doug

[/quote]

Only way we've done it for years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by duckster
We have never had one stolen but we are using them on our own private property. I suppose we might get a trespasser at some point

Put a little note in the camera .. "cam 2" .. when you only have 1 out. If someone is trying to steal your stuff that will drive them crazy and leave them looking over their shoulder for a while thinking someone somewhere has pictures of them stealing.

Sometimes I actually do set up cameras watching other cameras, so it's not always a fake-out.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495

Where is the downside of the neighbors shooting the 9 point?

Downside to them is, they let the 9 pt. walk so it would have another year to grow and it didn't work out for them. Wasn't a downside for me cause I didn't have a dog in the hunt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,789
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.