-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rock River. Took me about 10 years each of about 3-4,000 round per year and dry firing 3-5 days a week. When they wore out, they still held weight, but they were getting mushy. Still were safe. I still shoot them. They both still feel great after having been rebuilt by RR. I did upgrade one lower to a Geissele NM and moved the RR to a hunting/informal match gun. But I still run the other RR in matches. The difference between the 2 triggers is the GNM has a lock time that is noticeably faster to me. I like that. But it's about 3 times the price.

I did recently pick up a LaRue MBT. So far I really like it, but I need to get it on some NRA hang weights to see if it can make weight in a match. Spring-loaded trigger gauge says it will, but it is so very close to 4.5lbs that I don't know if the inspection gorillas can pass it. I expect it to hold weight and feel even longer than the RRs.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thanks,

I appreciate the reply.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by ChrisF
John Holliger of White Oak Armament on single stage triggers used in Highpower;
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/resources/faq.html#triggers

Granted, not everyone will shoot an AR the way we Highpower competitors do, but keep in mind that light trigger with no creep come with a toll on engagement. Good luck and be safe.

John may be talking about single stage triggers made very light with very little engagement. My own experience with single stage triggers in the 3-4 lb range, set so they feel pretty crisp, do not match his comments. I don't shoot nearly in the quantity he does, but I've never had to re-adjust one yet. They do sometimes take more work to set up initially, which he alludes to in his comments about the safety, but that's just part of the deal.

Edit - my point here is that perhaps John is/was talking about something a bit different than the wide variety of 3-4 lb single stage triggers available these days.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/12/18.
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
How hard are you going to use this gun, how many rounds per year will you fire & what are you going to use the gun for? All have a bearing on what type & what quality level trigger would be best, IMO.

Good questions. The answer has changed from the time I bought it to now. I didn't .. and don't .. plan to shoot it with anything like the volume of a competitive high power shooter. Initially I planned for mostly personal defense at a rural home on a fairly large piece of property. The AR has proven unreliable <for me> in critical ways. I don't have confidence in it. It works as designed, but counter to my conditioning, and I keep dropping the magazine when I intend to release the safety. With the more vertical rear grip, the mag release is where I'm used to finding the push button cross-trigger safety. S-H-I-T. frown

So now I'm trying to save it by making it a varmint gun. It has shown that it has the mechanical accuracy. It has also shown that it does not have the practical / field accuracy because of the trigger. It's simple .. I either get it down to a safe and functional pound and a half, preferably less, or I'll shoot the rest of the ammo on hand then clean it up and sell it.

At this point, I'm looking at replacements. Most likely will be a marlin lever action .357 or .44. Does the jobs as I need them done in my setting. Possibility of a Mini-14, not because of any advantage other than more familiar ergonomics. Dunno. Not happy.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My new shoes arrived yesterday, waiting for the Lefty safety to show up today.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, then see my comments below in red.

Also, I'd suggest that you pay attention to what Yondering says on these kind of threads; you may not like it or you may not want your gun configured as he does, but he knows what works & his advice is solid.

Originally Posted by T_O_M
How hard are you going to use this gun, how many rounds per year will you fire & what are you going to use the gun for? All have a bearing on what type & what quality level trigger would be best, IMO.

Good questions. The answer has changed from the time I bought it to now. I didn't .. and don't .. plan to shoot it with anything like the volume of a competitive high power shooter. For that, a quality single stage will be fine; I have several but run them at 3-3.5 lb, most with a half cock notch hammer similar to a 1911 Initially I planned for mostly personal defense at a rural home on a fairly large piece of property. For that, I would highly recommend a good 2-stage like a Geiselle G2S as it's simply less likely not fire until you are really, really ready. My best single stage triggers are SENSITIVE & you need to be very careful when caressing the trigger as there is absolutely zero creep or discernible movement until it goes off The AR has proven unreliable <for me> in critical ways. I don't have confidence in it. It works as designed, but counter to my conditioning, and I keep dropping the magazine when I intend to release the safety. Condition yourself to use your thumb to release the safety & you will not have that problem, likely just a bit mental & need a little practice.........sit in your living room & practice releasing the safety until it just becomes 2nd nature & automatic. Do not use your index finger on the safety, only on the mag release With the more vertical rear grip, the mag release is where I'm used to finding the push button cross-trigger safety. S-H-I-T. frown

So now I'm trying to save it by making it a varmint gun. It has shown that it has the mechanical accuracy. It has also shown that it does not have the practical / field accuracy because of the trigger. It's simple .. I either get it down to a safe and functional pound and a half, preferably less, IMHO, that's too low for an AR & you will surely run the risk of the possibility of slam fires, or worst case, the gun firing when you move the safety off or I'll shoot the rest of the ammo on hand then clean it up and sell it.

At this point, I'm looking at replacements. Most likely will be a marlin lever action .357 or .44. Does the jobs as I need them done in my setting. Possibility of a Mini-14, not because of any advantage other than more familiar ergonomics. They generally shoot patterns, rather than groups, just sayin' wink Dunno. Not happy.

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safety showed up smile
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Also, I'd suggest that you pay attention to what Yondering says on these kind of threads; you may not like it or you may not want your gun configured as he does, but he knows what works & his advice is solid.

Good questions. The answer has changed from the time I bought it to now. I didn't .. and don't .. plan to shoot it with anything like the volume of a competitive high power shooter. For that, a quality single stage will be fine; I have several but run them at 3-3.5 lb, most with a half cock notch hammer similar to a 1911 Initially I planned for mostly personal defense at a rural home on a fairly large piece of property. For that, I would highly recommend a good 2-stage like a Geiselle G2S as it's simply less likely not fire until you are really, really ready. My best single stage triggers are SENSITIVE & you need to be very careful when caressing the trigger as there is absolutely zero creep or discernible movement until it goes off The AR has proven unreliable <for me> in critical ways. I don't have confidence in it. It works as designed, but counter to my conditioning, and I keep dropping the magazine when I intend to release the safety. Condition yourself to use your thumb to release the safety & you will not have that problem, likely just a bit mental & need a little practice.........sit in your living room & practice releasing the safety until it just becomes 2nd nature & automatic. Do not use your index finger on the safety, only on the mag release With the more vertical rear grip, the mag release is where I'm used to finding the push button cross-trigger safety. S-H-I-T. frown

So now I'm trying to save it by making it a varmint gun. It has shown that it has the mechanical accuracy. It has also shown that it does not have the practical / field accuracy because of the trigger. It's simple .. I either get it down to a safe and functional pound and a half, preferably less, IMHO, that's too low for an AR & you will surely run the risk of the possibility of slam fires, or worst case, the gun firing when you move the safety off or I'll shoot the rest of the ammo on hand then clean it up and sell it.

At this point, I'm looking at replacements. Most likely will be a marlin lever action .357 or .44. Does the jobs as I need them done in my setting. Possibility of a Mini-14, not because of any advantage other than more familiar ergonomics. They generally shoot patterns, rather than groups, just sayin' wink Dunno. Not happy.

Tom

Well stated. The man that can't adapt to multiple platforms simply isn't trying hard enough IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

Tom

Well stated. The man that can't adapt to multiple platforms simply isn't trying hard enough IMHO.

I agree.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
TOM, if you really feel that your AR isn't worth owning if you can't get the trigger down to 1.5 lb or lower safely, then just sell it now, it's not for you. That's a pretty unreasonable trigger requirement for any semi auto, and even a lot of factory bolt action triggers. I recommend you not waste your time or ours if that's a serious requirement for you.

In reality though, it sounds like you don't have a feel for what kind of trigger you really need, and don't realize that a 3-4 lb good trigger (either single or two stage) can be very serviceable for most shooters, amateur or professional.

The safety vs mag release thing is a matter of practice and adapting to a different platform. Don't blame the gun for your lack of practice. I dare say most anyone here could make that change with an easy afternoon of dry fire practice and repetition, IF they wanted to. If you're not willing to learn a new platform, just stick to what you know.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/13/18.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An SSA-E 2-stage at a total of 3.5#'s is a wonder to behold.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who makes the best, light, single stage trigger for an AR-15?

I'm on my first excursion into ARs and I've learned I don't like 2 stage triggers nor heavy 4+ pound triggers. I'm looking for a single stage, pound and a half or less. 8 ounces would be approaching good. Is there anything out there?

Tom

I don't think you would like a trigger that light on an AR, I also think you would slap fire it and fire it when you aren't wanting to. The problem is you haven't shot a good 2 stage. The lightest I would recommend is the geissele high speed match rifle, its got a second stage break that can be less than 1# but unless you are using it for bench only shooting you are going to want that second stage at least 1#. The other one seldom mentioned is trigger tech. its the opposite it has a very light first stage and a heavier break. I would recommend that trigger for off hand shooting and field use.

the reason for the 2 stage trigger is you can have a lighter trigger that way functionally and still be safe. ALSO in pratical use the 2 stage is part of the secret sauce with an AR 15 and hitting with one. its because you just pull the slack up and hit that wall while settling the reticle and its almost like you just think it off and the trigger breaks without thinking about it. Trigger control in the field is the difference between a hit and a miss in the field. it doesn't matter how great your gun is. Don't control the trigger right and you will miss!!. a 2 stage trigger makes that much easier with an AR 15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait, so our choices go from an AR with a 1# trigger to a lever action .357?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

And he thought the AR has a bad trigger crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the 2 stage is part of the secret sauce with an AR 15 .

Hold the secret sauce on mine sick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
An SSA-E 2-stage at a total of 3.5#'s is a wonder to behold.

There's your 1 1/2lb pull - on the 2nd stage of that trigger!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use this quote more and more...

If you can't make X work, its simply because you have not put effort into it. IE you don't want it to work.

Same goes for 2 stage. My buddy wanted better AR trigger. Could not deal with 2 stage, would screw up his deer rifle, pistol etc.... I finally built and gave him a good AR with 2 stage RRA varmint, not even tuned. You couldn't buy it from him these days.

On that note, wife and I had never seen a 2 stage before about 89. Since then we've done fairly well in competitive shooting. And we used lots of cross training to help us. 2 stage to pistol both heavy and light, DA and SA, combat and bullseye. 3 and 4 position small bore with tiny ounces triggers. Ounces triggers on 1000 yard bolt guns. Shotguns. Silhouette..... and we've done well enough in each, and I can't recall dropping a mag by accident or not knowing how to use each safety when it comes to it, etc... And as much as we shot the AR15 over the years, 89-05 more or less as we made our way from the M1A over... up to 20K rounds a year, I"ve yet to try to swipe my safety off the 12 ga or the 700s. Or even reach for a safety on the glocks, but I never forget the safety on the 1911... and so it goes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

And he thought the AR has a bad trigger crazy

No .. y' damned fool. Get things straight instead of putting words in my mouth. I don't like the factory AR trigger and I don't like the factory Marlin trigger. I'm not using either one as delivered from the factory. I've got the answer to the Marlin trigger already on the shelf, a Wild West Lever Guns replacement. This one has been in a couple different guns but is homeless. It took my .45-70 guide gun down under a pound with no creep. I kept it when I sold the gun.

What I'm looking for is something comparable for the AR platform.

I might have found something. Timney is offering the Calvin Elite for the AR-15. It lists at 1.5 pounds, non adjustable, single stage. Has anyone shot with one of these yet? I mean actual experience, not merely opinionated armchair quarterbacking?

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you go with a trigger that light, you'd better have damn good trigger control. If you are the type that immediately releases the trigger after firing, you will get some surprises.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you go with a trigger that light, you'd better have damn good trigger control. If you are the type that immediately releases the trigger after firing, you will get some surprises.

I'm listening. Explain in more detail, please?

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.