Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Wife and I are moving cross country from NH.

The question is, how the heck do we do this? I mean physically, how do we get our stuff from NH to our new home? We're talking a 3 day drive, so it's not like we can just rent a U-Haul and give some friends pizza!

Lots of options, but the smartest, IMO, is to pack your clothes and personal items such as firearms, artworks, pictures etc. Hold a bigass estate sale. Sell all the big stuff. Load your basics in a Uhaul and drive.

Replace your furniture etc when you get there. Life is easier and you trim your possessions down which most of us could stand to do.

Last edited by Tarkio; 12/14/18.

Montana MOFO
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Screw moving. I’m done. I moved a bunch as a kid, so no more for me. My next move will be 7 miles down the road, and will be done with a 12’ trailer and an F-150.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I’ll just wish you all the best Bob. And wonder what your new handle will be ?

30 years in same house here. It seemed so huge and empty when we bought it.

Now it’s the proverbial 10 gals of chit in a 5 gal bucket

Amazing how much stuff you can haul home one pick up load at a time over 30 years.

Tempted to call police and tell em someone broke in and left all this chit here

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Where ya headed, Bob H?

Coming just north of you! Buffalo.

New avatar:
[Linked Image]
You're welcome.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks everyone!

We've been married 31 years and in this house since 1996. We are going through stuff we can get rid of. We have a bit of time, we will by in WY in mid-Jan trying to button down where we will actually live. Then decide to rent/sell our current house.

Our best guess is that we don't think we can make this happen before early April, but time will tell.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

...Tempted to call police and tell em someone broke in and left all this chit here

ROFL!
I hear that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I would sell everything that is replaceable, then hire a mover to do the rest. Do as much of the packing as you can yourselves. Insure what's being moved during the move and inspect everything as it is unloaded before signing anything.

Get everything in writing.

My current employer moved me. (I don't think they do that anymore.) The mover showed up at my new place with my [bleep] in a 110 foot 18 wheeler which would not go down the alley so everything had to be moved a third of a block from the truck by hand. They tried to charge me extra to hire people to unload the truck. I was naive back then. I provided the labor myself, me and the fat truck driver.

Tom

Hand carry the irreplaceable photos and memorabilia. Birth certificates, diplomas, and other important papers as well.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ipopum
......had already given the piano to our granddaughter.....

That was mean! shocked

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like Ellie Mae

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a house in phoenix, and a house in prescott, with three detached garages. my family goes back in arizona to the 1800's and i am a known packrat. it would take a detachment from the U.S. army to move me. I have the problem solved tho, a one way ticket to the cemetary and let the daughter take care of the rest of it. She is a packrat too, would be interesting to watch.
i have stuff dating back to the 1860's in kansas.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember not so long ago when I could pack everything I owned into the back of my Ranger and be set up and living at the other end of the country in about three days. I hate to even think of moving now. I think I'd rather be shot at.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kelbro

Company paid. Also had a few antiques clocks that needed special handling. A 900 pound smoker. Two gun safes. A large house full of crap.

If I was paying, I would have jettisoned most of the household crap on craigslist and bought it again in the new place.

Company paid moves aren't moving.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Tempted to call police and tell em someone broke in and left all this chit here

TFF

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing to add to my previous post.....can’t believe I didn’t mention it.....if you are going to move your own gun safe, rent a motorized dolly. $150 well spent. I moved mine the old fashioned way one too many times and ended up with an inguinal hernia.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by kelbro

Company paid. Also had a few antiques clocks that needed special handling. A 900 pound smoker. Two gun safes. A large house full of crap.

If I was paying, I would have jettisoned most of the household crap on craigslist and bought it again in the new place.

Company paid moves aren't moving.

Tell that to my wife LOL. I was in China, she handled all of it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh schit!

China a different deal! LMAO.

I have so desperately wanted to pay for a move but never brought myself to do it. This last one was brutal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve done a couple cross country moves. Great opportunity to jettison a bunch of schit you haven’t laid eyes on in the last year.

If I did it again, it’d be more if the same. Big azz garage sale, Goodwill, then rent a construction dumpster if needed.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I moved from Alabama to Oregon five years ago. Researched all the possibilities, and settled on this...
https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Packed everything ourselves, sorted it and sold or donated stuff we didn't use. You take your truck to U-hail, they put one of these boxes on a trailer, you haul it home, fill it up, and take it back to them and pick up an empty--just repeat until it is all gone. They store them until you are ready, then load them on a truck that delivers them to the u-haul nearest your destination. Meanwhile, you have driven across country with your guns and important stuff packed in cars and truck. When you arrive, use the truck to reverse the process. It's a lot of work, but you save a bundle.

Last edited by Alagator; 12/15/18.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.