Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You can still eat em. But it takes em down to about a choice level.

I am MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which ever U choose

Whitetail versus Mule Deer

The alternative is worse

As in Tag Soup!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had both on the same plate at the same time. Not much difference. Though they both fed on the same wheat, so it stands to reason.

Caribou stands out as a favorite but haven’t eaten it in years. A proper fried squirrel is hard to beat. Grouse and dove are favorite birds to eat.

Rabbit and pheasant stand out as second tier eats.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Lonny
All things equal, which do you prefer to eat?

Can you tell the difference in taste between the two?

I have both in the freezer.....there is no discernable difference to my taste bids.

This is what I have noticed and I think antelope is superior, yet you will have all sorts of guys turn their noses up at both mule deer and antelope...

I think the folks who turn up their nose @ antelope have been guilty of treating it the same they would a deer in Nov. @ 90+ degrees, wrap it up in a blue tarp with the hide on, strap it to the yuppie-rack stuck in the receiver hitch, spend another day and a half cruising gravel roads and infusing diesel smoke into the now rotting carcass under the blue plastic tarp.

I don't really notice a flavor difference between whitetail and mule deer, but, where I typically hunt, both are feeding in harvested grain fields or alfalfa for the most part.

I have shot and eaten mule deer and white-tailed deer, from the mountains and now, the plains where I live. The does have very little difference in taste, but a rutting white-tailed buck trumps a mulie buck every time. The mulies even smell worse, when field dressing them.

Antelope does are about as good as it gets, to me.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Agreed Rooster. Easily top 3, Oryx is my top.

I've heard that Oryx is very fine eating, Jud. I'd like to try it someday.

As far as mule deer and whitetails go, I haven't noticed much difference. But I've never shot a rutting mule deer either.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always hear folks going on about axis being great eating. Never tried it. Would like to.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think a lot of the preference for elk in my area comes from their relative rarity. My family has been successfully killing elk in Colorado since the 70’s and Oklahoma since the 90’s. We go to CO every year and have a ranch in the best area of OK for elk hunting. For most guys around this relatively poor area an elk hunt is a bucket list type hunt. Therefore elk steaks hold some kind of special place in most folks around here’s minds. I started a new job a couple weeks ago and it took exactly 2 days for everyone in the plant to know I’d killed a bull this year. I’ve probably had 7-8 people tell me how much better elk are than our local deer as they were trying to buy or bum steaks from me.

I’m pretty particular about meat care, deer, elk, even wild pigs when I decide to butcher one. To me unless you get a bad one, really rutty buck or a couple mule deer I’ve had from CO that were big old bucks and just really strong flavored, I don’t really taste a huge difference. I have a bull from CO and a middling sized 10 point whitetail buck from OK in my freezer right now. To me they are both excellent eating with no huge difference between them.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I pulled a dirty trick on a guy today....

I asked him if he wanted some deer meat because in the past he never turned it down when I offered and I know he likes and appreciates it. He has mentioned many times that he likes whitetail and elk, but doesn't like mule deer. In fact, he said mule deer "stink"

He thought I was giving him whitetail, when I actually was giving him mule deer. He likes burger and grinds up most of what he gets.

He texted a bit ago and said the burgers he grilled up tonight were "great!!!" And yeah, he used 3 exclamation points.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha that's good stuff lonny!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mule deer eating scrub oak acorns have tasted as good as whitetail eating pecans. But the worst I've had was from a mule deer taken about 30 miles north of Yellowstone park near Nye, MT.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny
I pulled a dirty trick on a guy today....

I asked him if he wanted some deer meat because in the past he never turned it down when I offered and I know he likes and appreciates it. He has mentioned many times that he likes whitetail and elk, but doesn't like mule deer. In fact, he said mule deer "stink"

He thought I was giving him whitetail, when I actually was giving him mule deer. He likes burger and grinds up most of what he gets.

He texted a bit ago and said the burgers he grilled up tonight were "great!!!" And yeah, he used 3 exclamation points.

Now, his wife just texted me saying the the "meat is very yummy"

Good grief, now I'm starting to feel like I should come clean on the deal. smile

But than again, if I do, they might suddenly get that phantom-funky-taste mentioned earlier when eating the rest.

Probably better to just let the meat placebo do its thing...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd wait a while, til it's bout gone lonny. Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Straydog,

That's been my experience with mule deer eating scrub-oak acorns as well.

More than one of my friends from "back East" says that whitetails eating white-oak acorns taste great, but not so much when eating red-oak acorns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread. I think tastes, and preconceived notions, all add into the equation.

Truth be told, I don't care much for any deer. At least whitetail, mule deer, or blacktail. Not really a fan of elk either. Moose or bison, however, I really like but haven't eaten a ton of it. I'd like to do a blind taste test to see if this all holds water, as I might be fooling myself.

Haven't had enough antelope to make a decision, but based on numerous reports I really want to try more.

I like duck (domestic) and lamb, but my wife doesn't care for either one. However, she and my son have eaten a decent amount of elk, mule deer, and blacktail deer without a complaint. I really got tired of eating it, and was happy to empty the freezer of it. Not sure what to make of it all.

In the past few years, I've passed up on a legal deer and elk as I have zero desire to eat them. I would turn all of the meat into pepperoni or sausage, which seems like a waste. Or burger with beef fat. We aren't hurting for meat at my house and I'd take beef or cheap pork shoulder steak over any deer or elk cut. I have friends that love game meat, and am starting to think that I should give them the meat. They literally get depressed as the freezer gets low.

My kids like rabbit, and based on the ramblings of Steve Rinella, Hank Shaw, and Jonathan O'Dell, I'd like to try jack rabbit. Probably sounds weird to some!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if its either a big whitetail buck or mule deer buck we keep the tenderloins and backstraps always to fry or grill but the rest goes for sausage . I have never noticed my deer rather mule deer or whitetail deer tasting different if I butcher my deer myself ,which I always done for 40 years just because I take care of my meat better than many butcher shops,my son and daughter learned to help butcher wild game at a early age too. the last animal I had butchered at a shop was a caribou in Canada 15 years ago and that meat was not fit for a dog after that sob shop cut that caribou up in Quebec. Antelope if taken care of properly , quartered and iced down quickly in a cooler is very tasty meat as is a fawn deer in October is. I had an old friend say the best eating deer meat is in august before these deer start fighting and having sex I asked him how he knew that and he told me just never mind and he just laughed.

Last edited by pete53; 12/16/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used to hunt woodcocks when I lived in Maryland, I thought it was the best bird meat I ever ate.. Deer I have only ate whitetail which was always great.

I also ate moose in Alaska it was great also.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Conducted a taste test tonight with my wife and two kids home from college. Conditions weren't perfect considering the animals, but it might be as close as I'm likely to get anytime soon.

Backstrap steak from a whitetail buck and backstrap steak from a mule deer doe. No real way of knowing age of each animal, but I'd guess the buck was around 3 years old and the doe could have been older than that.

Buck killed 11-20-18 and doe killed 12-1-18. Both deer died within 250 yards of each other, so they were living and eating in the same habitat. Both died quickly and neither moved from where they stood when shot. Both gutted within 15 minutes. Both skinned within 3 hours. Temp for hunting and hanging was in the 30's. Both were hung in my shop for 4 days in temps that never got above 40 degrees. Both backstraps from each animal were previously frozen before cooking.

After thawing for a day in the frig, I cut steaks 3/4" thick and gave each side a few "whaps" with a meat mallet and they were probably 1/2 inch thick after that. I lightly salted and peppered each of the steaks. I wanted anything that might mask the true flavor to be minimal.

I knew the real judge of the four of us would be my wife, because she has a nose like a bloodhound and would pick up anything even slightly different.

I was the only one who knew which meat was which.

Steaks were cooked on the grill to medium rare. Maybe 2 minutes per side.

2 of the 4 picked the mule deer doe. 2 said they couldn't tell the difference. My wife picked the MD doe because she said it had more flavor, but not in a seasoning sort of way, just slightly more flavorful tasting. I had to agree. But it was very close between the two. WT was more maybe slightly more mild, or should I say just less meat flavor.

If I had mixed them up on the plate though, it would have been a challenge to tell one from the other.

For what it's worth?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best deer I ever ate lived in and around cornfields. The worse I ever ate have been ones that live amongst the sage brush.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/20/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule deer over whitetails for me. And then axis over mule deer.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.