Campfire Greenhorn
C
I noticed that with women. :-)

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

But there are an increasing number of lower magnification scopes--and least lower than what is thought of as long range scopes--that have large oculars too.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The dumbest trend is 1x4 or 1x5 scopes with huge oculars that weigh about 20 ounces. What are they good for?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by chuckster243
I noticed that with women. :-)

laugh

Careful there...

You could get in some deep stuff if the wrong person reads that...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
This Kimber 280AI I got in 2018 I scoped with a Leupold VX freedom rimfire 2x7x33.
The eyepiece is 1.555" in diameter, so I could mount the scope low.

[Linked Image]
A many decades ago mass produced sporterized 1941 Arisaka type 99 that I rebarreled to 257 Roberts in 2017.
Leupold 120617 vx2 rimfire EFR CDS 3x9x33, with small eyepiece to fit bolt weld curve.
The eyepiece is 1.4"
It did not matter HOW HIGH a scope was mounted over that bent bolt, the eyepiece was going to be less than 1.555" diameter.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Goosey
The newer Weaver Grand Slams are so ugly it must be seen to be believed. Worst thing is I'm not sure if they improved or degraded the aesthetics...

[Linked Image]

Looks like it was molded in the Doc Johnson factory.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mathman
The newer Weaver Grand Slams are so ugly it must be seen to be believed. Worst thing is I'm not sure if they improved or degraded the aesthetics...

[Linked Image]

That is one ugly sumbitch!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Originally Posted by mathman

[Linked Image]

That is one ugly sumbitch!

+1

Got whupped with an ugly stick...

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One of the interesting things about all this is many of the "California" style walnut stocks, with high "rollover" combs, hooked pistol grips, and skip-line checkering are considered impractical (and ugly) by most such 30-year-olds. Yet the basic stock dimension are very similar to many chassis-stocked rifles today.

I'm not so sure 30 year olds find those stocks to be impractical because of the shape. They may not like the attributes of wood, but the shape isn't so much an issue as the gaudy inlays of contrasting wood and general 1950s chic. Plus, at least for me, the general derision for such designs comes from what they represent. Those stocks often are attached to Weatherby rifles, which makes me think of inflated egos and gut shot game.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Snyper,
Ocular lens diameter has a LOT to do with FOV, because it's essentially the screen where we view the world. Magnification and eye relief are also involved, but aren't the entire equation.

A quick (and very inconclusive) look on the interweb looks like it has more to do with eye relief than ocular diameter.

-SMALL ocular
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Specifications
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 17.3
Eye Relief (in): 4.43

Schmidt & Bender 6x42 Klassik
eye relief (in): 3.1
Field of View @ 100 yds (ft) 22

-LARGE ocular
SWFA SS 6x42
Field of View @ 100 yds (ft) 20.1
eye relief 3.5

Meopta 6x42 MeoPro
Field of View @ 100 yds (ft) 20
eye relief 3.5.

Speak life
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's a simple equation for the manufacturers. Add eye relief at the expense of field of view or add field of view at the expense of eye relief assuming the ocular stays the same size. When you increase the ocular size you increase the field of view, which some manufacturers are willing to give up to add eye relief. To demonstrate this go look through a handgun or scout scope.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I might be a geezer, & ugly on a scope is another thing, but when the rings have to go upward one or two heights, several things go down hill. The rifle starts getting more top heavy, out of balance & poorer handling to me. The giraffe neck thing comes in, & check weld or any notion of it is lost.
All this for a smidgen of field of view or light?

I've considered starting a thread about this, glad to know others don't like the bulbous looking things either.

R
RPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
MULE DEER. The scope on your .358 Norma is as good looking as it gets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Part of the reason for larger ocular bells (and lenses) is the overall trend to higher magnification, especially at the top end of variable magnification--especially in competition shooting.

The larger oculars result in a wider field of view, which can be important when whacking away at longer ranges, whether to spot your own shots or find the target quicker.

The other factor is that optics companies aren't designing scopes for geezers who think the scopes they grew up with were the epitome of esthetic perfection. Some of those geezers don't think scopes made BEFORE their era were very beautiful either, but because they tend to forget some really ugly scopes made back then, tend to idealize the best of what they liked in their youth, whether rifles, scopes, cars or music.

Not long ago I went on a big game hunt with several other gun writers, one a 30-year-old who was assigned a dull-green "chassis" rifle with a huge scope mounted at least 2 inches above the action, plus a suppressor the size of a thick salami on the muzzle. He took one look at it and said, "Man, that's a good-looking rifle!"

One of the interesting things about all this is many of the "California" style walnut stocks, with high "rollover" combs, hooked pistol grips, and skip-line checkering are considered impractical (and ugly) by most such 30-year-olds. Yet the basic stock dimension are very similar to many chassis-stocked rifles today.

All of this, of course, relates to the constant human opinion that younger humans are incredibly FOS. This has been going on throughout our history (and not doubt prehistory) and is evident in the changes in art and technology across several millennia--and by millennia I dont mean the humans now called millennials, but the measure of time defined by 1000 years.

The times they are a changing. Got to go with the flow.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.