Campfire Regular
Anybody out there have G.E.R.D.?
What are you doing about it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having heartburn over it.......

Seriously, OTC Omeprazole when it flairs up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been taking over the counter Omeprazole daily before breakfast for six years. It works better than anything else I've tried. The over the counter brand I use is 20 mg I cut them in half and they work fine. If the GERD has been consistent see your DR and get a referral for an endoscopy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep to Omeprazole. It will actually allow your insides to heal rather quickly if you use it successive days for a time. Nice to go to bed and not ache when you rollover. Works on first dose too.

43Shooter I have heard cautions about taking it for such a long extended period. Might want to look in to that. Not an expert but have seen it mentioned.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fubarguy

Ditto on the Omeprazole, and NO caffeine or alcohol in the evening. Stay away from starches and sugar after midday.

I have Barrett's esophagus from years of abuse and eating/drinking bad things. It has a high incidence of cancer development. DON'T fool around and let things deteriorate. Take the OTC and watch what you eat later in the day. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
yep to Omeprazole. It will actually allow your insides to heal rather quickly if you use it successive days for a time. Nice to go to bed and not ache when you rollover. Works on first dose too.

43Shooter I have heard cautions about taking it for such a long extended period. Might want to look in to that. Not an expert but have seen it mentioned.

My Dr who prescribed it for me said she has had patients on it for years will no I’ll effects. And, Yes, it works great. I take one at night just before bed so I don’t wake up in a panic with bile coming up in my throat.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took Omeprazole for many years, generally about 1 tablet every 3-4 days as needed. My last trip to the doc I was advised to never take it again due to kidney function test results.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I take pantaprozole now. It's OK but not as effective as the Aciphex(rabeprazole) I used to take, but my insurance quit paying for it & switched me. Not enough kickback from the pharmaceutical C0. the Ins. Co I guess.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went in for a physical at the Mayo Clinic about 12 years ago. They stuck a camera down my throat. Doc said acid reflux was eroding my esophagus and that has a high liklyhood of esophagus cancer, which is usually terminal.
After a year on omeprozole the put the camera down my throat again. Doc said it’s healed. I’ve stayed on that drug but half a dose daily.
I too have heard concerns about long term use of it. Have another physical next month and will address it then.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife’s teeth deteriorated from acid reflex. She had fundoplication surgery. She had this over 20 years ago at Methodist Houston.
Cured her problem. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That stuff will make your joints hurt if you take it a long time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I went in for a physical at the Mayo Clinic about 12 years ago. They stuck a camera down my throat. Doc said acid reflux was eroding my esophagus and that has a high liklyhood of esophagus cancer, which is usually terminal.
After a year on omeprozole the put the camera down my throat again. Doc said it’s healed. I’ve stayed on that drug but half a dose daily.
I too have heard concerns about long term use of it. Have another physical next month and will address it then.

I have the very same thing going on.
Omeprazole was the answer.
I haven't had acid stomach in years since I started taking it.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dexalant, 120 mg a day followed by 300mg Ranitidine (Zantac) at night.

Taking Omeprozole, 20 mg a day, then 40, mg a day, then 60 mg a day didn't do the trick.

I developed EOSINOPHILIC ESOPHAGITIS (EOE).

Trust me, you do not want this!

Do not treat your GERDS with over the counter meds unless approved by a "good" Gastro Doctor. I emphasize "good", my first two were idiots and thought I was allergic to wheat. Took two weeks at the Mayo Clinic to get it diagnosed property and somewhat under control.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fubarguy

It's a fancy term for the natural consequence of eating foods we didn't evolve to consume, i.e., starch. Give up all starch for a week (along with sugar), see if it doesn't go away. Then gradually reintroduce both in small amounts till you find how much you can tolerate without getting reflux (or acid indigestion).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I take a Zantac before breakfast, then one hour before I eat supper I take 2 Omeprazoles. Been doing that for bout 5 years now. It's the only way I can do it without suffering from GERD.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't have that but i have to take a nexium pill once a day for the rest of my life.

Tried the proscription meds but it tore what's left of my stomach up.
I started taking the 20mg.pill because this may take a while and didn't want to over do it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Need to put yourself under the care of a gastroenterologist and keep an eye on it, literally. Had a BIL that lost his larynx to cancer. Now he sounds like Max Headroom with the aid of an implant.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, 20 mg Omeprazole every morning. Went from a pre-Barretts condition to clean scope after starting the Omep.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A visit to a Gastroenterologist will answer all your questions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Eat some vegetables!

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,883
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.