Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I know a guy that's killed wayy lots of elk with the 6mm Remington and cup-n-core bullets. Heart shot - they drop. Weren't long range nor guided affairs. No rodeos. He taught me you don't need a big cannon, you know, like the 270. Only an ass shot presented, you pass. Heart shots.... 243 minimum for me although I know the 22-250 can get it done. 6.5CM to 7mmRM are all good.

That's nice if your hunting on a private preserve.

Those of us who hunt on public lands need a real gun.

I've got a 243 that has killed 11 elk--all of 'em on public land...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It’s only overkill if the recoil affects your accuracy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You mean something like this.....
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

+1

P

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yes, the 460 Wthby is overkill for elk--so is the 340--it's kinda' like driving our turbo diesel pickup to the store for a gallon of milk. But if a turbo diesel is what you've got to fetch milk, then drive it........

I don't think so. Dead is dead no matter the caliber.

Personally,I like the .340 and .338 RUM for elk.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

P

Winning comment on this thread

Last edited by Dre; 10/18/18.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SLM
.243 works fine on public land in New Mexico

That's fine if you hunt in New Mexico but.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SLM
.243 works fine on public land in New Mexico

That's fine if you hunt in New Mexico but.......

I guess if our elk ever learn to read english we’ll have to start using real guns.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dre

P

Group from my .460 Wby using 95.0 grains of Var-Get with a 500 grain Hornady DGX at 100 yards. Velocity average is 2300 fps.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Ken,
Case closed with criticism invalidated.
Well done.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Ken,
Case closed with criticism invalidated.
Well done.
John

Yup. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

Topic is caliber, not power. Keep up snow flake.

LOL, talk about snowflakes. The topic is cartridge, not caliber.

You do know the difference, right?

Originally Posted by Dre
I think 243 is little light but also feel you don't need 416 for elk.

Dre posted “243” and “416” which are calibers, not cartridges. Dre changed the subject to calibers by not specifying a particular 243 cartridge, there are two, or a particular 416 cartridge, of which there are four.

Again, you show yourself to be a complete fool out here, which you have perfected better than anyone I’ve ever seen on the internet, Mr. fake backpacker Elk hunter.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 10/18/18.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Allen917
When I lived in Colorado, I was friends with an older game warden. He told me the most popular cartridge for elk poachers was the 25-20 when it was available followed by the .22 Hornet. He always keep a sharp eye on me mid-winter, because he knew I owned both.

Purpose is different. Poachers aren't looking for an ethical shot that will cleanly and quickly take the one elk they legally can shoot per year. They're just shooting at multiple animals presumably all year long. Analogous to slimy plaintiff's lawyers that take a high volume of low-probability cases and barely do any work, hoping one of them will stick,

Ethical hunting on a single animal often involves hoping to have some pride in harvesting versus what unethical slimy poachers do.

I'm not taking second-hand implicit cartridge advice from sleazebags who care not if they wound countless animals and leave them for dead.

I'll eagerly pay attention to ethical hunters who hunt elk with anything from a .243 Win up to a .460 Wby, but I don't care what the criminal barbarians use.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dre

P

Dang. You’re right. I need to stop hunting with my .340 Wby.

Some of my recent 3-shot 100 yd groups sighting in my new scope have gone from 1/8” to 1/4” and I even had one 3/4" group when the barrel got hot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The three upper-left 100 yd groups below comprising eight shots were when I began re-sighting in my .340 after bore-sighting with the new scope (the other four groups were from my son's new .243 with various loads to see how they grouped).

[Linked Image]

What should I do? I’m just going to throw that rifle in the creek and be done with it. I can shoot my .308 about the same, way more accurately than I can shoot my way-lower-recoiling 5.56s (hint; it ain’t the recoil); I can shoot the 340 Wby way better than my 7mm Wby (same hint); I can shoot my .375 Wby way better than my .243 (same hint); I can shoot my .300 Win Mag way better than anything other than my .340 (same hint). It ain’t the recoil.

What’s worse is that, in this only video I have of me shooting the 5,000 ft-lb .340 Wby (225 gr TTSX at 3,160 fps) my son took last year, you can see how violent the recoil is. The .340 moved the rifle back into my shoulder almost a half inch! That's far too much shock and awe for me.

Video: https://i.imgur.com/xMUu4AG.mp4

It’s insane! And it's way unacceptable to even think of shooting such a thing. It’s almost(!!!) as bad as shooting a 12 gauge! I’m talking about a 12 gauge! Not a .410. I’m done with that rifle. Give me a .0111 caliber from now on.

That little non-bruising harmless slap on the shoulder is way, way too much potential future pain for me to gently squeeze a trigger while holding the rifle and scope still. Even though I have done it consistently for 32 years, all of those hundreds of range sessions and dead animals must have been a fluke. I need to quit what's working so well, and start shooting a .000000112 caliber rifle because anything more obviously is stupid.

That non-bruising push on my shoulder can't go on!!!!! I need a minimum caliber that is good because ... it also doesn't bruise my shoulder.

I'm a convert.

If I shoot a .243, it will equally non-bruise my shoulder. But, because it has a lighter bullet, it will shoot much more better than the 1/8" - 1/2" groups I shoot with my .340 Wby

Thanks.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Judge: I believe we are at a stopping point here, and will go into lunch recess.

Will the prosecution be ready after lunch recess for their cross examination?

Prosecutor: Your honor, the prosecution drops all charges against high caliber / magnum hunting rifles, and would kindly ask the court to dismiss the case, based on grounds of no evidence.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 10/18/18.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Dre changed the subject to calibers by not specifying a particular 243 cartridge, there are two, or a particular 416 cartridge, of which there are four.

Again, you show yourself to be a complete fool out here, which you have perfected better than anyone I’ve ever seen on the internet, Mr. fake backpacker Elk hunter.

LOL, "elkslayer" called me a fake backapcker, what am I to do?

But I do like the way you just unwittingly proved you don't know the difference between "cartridge" and "caliber" when you pegged the number of 243 cartridges at "two."

When you're using 243 to mean caliber as you did above you have to know that there are many more than two, including all of the various cartridges with 6 or 6 mm in the name.

When you're using 243 to mean the name of a particular cartridge, you might end up at "two."

PS, the topic of the thread is set by the OP, and is contained in the title of the thread........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Topic is caliber, not power. Keep up snow flake.

LOL, talk about snowflakes. The topic is cartridge, not caliber.

You do know the difference, right?

Originally Posted by Dre
I think 243 is little light but also feel you don't need 416 for elk.

Dre posted “243” and “416” which are calibers, not cartridges. Dre changed the subject to calibers by not specifying a particular 243 cartridge, there are two, or a particular 416 cartridge, of which there are four.

You know well as others I was saying 243 win. And 416 rigby. Just like someone says they are using a 308, they are talkin about 308 win. Not 300 win mag that uses 308 bullet.
You want to be technical? If, I was talking about bullet diameter I would have used the (.) as in point xxx. OR I would have saiid 24 caliber, as no one really says 243 caliber. SMH.
I’m Glad you boys shoot those guns well and feel the need to shoot 45/70, 340, 460 as your ‘minimum’ elk cartridges.
Get over what some one thinks, and back on topic.

Last edited by Dre; 10/19/18.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My .260 with 140 gr Corelokts did a DRT elk kill, at 150 yards. A sample of one...... smile

I would not hesitate to use it again, and plan to on a moose. Good killer on a half-dozen caribou.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The minimum cartridge I would want to use on elk in Wyoming would be a 7x57 or a 7-08. I have seen elk killed with 243 rifles but I have seen elk that got away after being hit with them also. Same with the 25-06. Since I don't have to use the minimum I would use I would take a 270, 7MM RM, 30-06, 300 Win mag, 338 Win mag or a 35 Whelen. I have killed elk with these rifles and would feel comfortable using them again. Were I to hunt Roosevelt elk in western Washington state my minimum would be a light 358 Winchester pushing 250 grain bullets. I guess a 338 Federal would be just as good. My choices are based on personal experience in those two states.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good bullet from about any caliber placed in the right spot will kill elk.

I like a .270 and can't determine any difference from a good 6.5 (260 Rem) and a good 7mm to 30 cal bullet launched at decent velocity.

Poke 'em in something that supplies oxygen or pumps blood and they will die pretty regularly.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.