Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My stalk last year was over 2 miles. I was wearing my Thorogood moc toe workboots, like I basically wear everyday. I've only antelope hunted 3 times in my life, but its always been on basically flat'ish dry country. My daily workboots work fine.

I have had 2 pairs of Danner Pronghorns. The first were an earlier pair that were comfortable as any tennis shoe. I wore the toes out on bird hunts in heavy CRP grass. I replaced them with a newer pair that had the polymer toe caps on them. I'm still wearing those boots at times, but they never were as comfortable as the first pair I had, and the waterproofness didn't last near as long.

I have a pair of USA made Danner's (forget the model, but 200 gram thinsulate all leather, air bob sole). They're a substantially better boot than the pronghorns ever thought of being, with a price to match.

Somebody mentioned some kind of tape above for blisters. We used to use moleskin forever. The last several years we simply carry a roll of duct tape. If somebody starts to get a blister, cover it with a patch of cut tape plus an inch or so each direction. Problem solved, no more blister. The lineup of boots I wear now I don't have a blister problem to deal with though, finally.

GB1

B
OP Offline
B
Just wanted to say again that I appreciate all the insight everyone gave me. I wasn't able to pick up a new pair of boots before our trip this year due to some other expenses that popped up, but I was able to try on a pair of the Lowas and they were quite comfortable. With that being said, I ended up wearing my insulated Irish Setters again and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The temperatures that week were below freezing nearly the entire time. Turns out I should have invested in some gaiters as the snow covered brush ended up drenching my feet. Lesson learned...

Oddly enough, I was actually wearing my Red Wing work boots when I killed my doe. Ended up spotting, putting a short stalk and getting off a clean shot a little over 100 yards from the main road. The downhill drag back to the truck was a relief as well. Dad was thankful for that! Hoping me and my favorite hunting partner will make it back again next year with a buck tag in our pockets.

Hope everyone is having a safe and successful hunting season

Merry Christmas to you all!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13377470/2018-antelope

God is good, all the time
Woo Pig
B
OP Offline
B
Sorry if the pictures are upside down. I couldn't figure out how to rotate the images

Woo Pig
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice update BBH.

Originally Posted by BigBoreHog
Just wanted to say again that I appreciate all the insight everyone gave me. I wasn't able to pick up a new pair of boots before our trip this year due to some other expenses that popped up, but I was able to try on a pair of the Lowas and they were quite comfortable. With that being said, I ended up wearing my insulated Irish Setters again and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The temperatures that week were below freezing nearly the entire time. Turns out I should have invested in some gaiters as the snow covered brush ended up drenching my feet. Lesson learned...

Oddly enough, I was actually wearing my Red Wing work boots when I killed my doe. Ended up spotting, putting a short stalk and getting off a clean shot a little over 100 yards from the main road. The downhill drag back to the truck was a relief as well. Dad was thankful for that! Hoping me and my favorite hunting partner will make it back again next year with a buck tag in our pockets.

Hope everyone is having a safe and successful hunting season

Merry Christmas to you all!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13377470/2018-antelope

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
My current favorites for that situation are Crispi Wyoming or Dakota. They are a bit spendy.

I'm thinking about getting some of these for next season.
I know there are others, that are comparable.

I'm on the hunt for new boots too.

Sorry not to highjack this thread.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BigBoreHog, hey, I just wanted to say,---- Welcome to the Campfire..
Lots of good people on here.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you HD!

I've been lurking around for quite a while looking at all the pictures of everyone's beautiful guns and amazing hunts. Hoping I'll be able to add my 2 cents from time to time

Woo Pig
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be looking forward to your post.
Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.