Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was looking at some old targets and found a 5/8" 3 shot group from my Ruger 77 7X57 with a 140 grain Ballistic tip and 50.5 grains of RL-19. My question is, will a 140 grain Accubond perform similarly? Or will I have to work up a different load with this bullet. They look the same side by side. No big deal if I have to start with a new load. I was just pondering the idea.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
will a 140 grain Accubond perform similarly?

Load will generally be the same, accuracy will generally be different. The Accubond is one of the more finicky, inconsistent shooting bullets out there. Not so the case with the Ballistic Tip.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Any idea what makes them inconsistent?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great question, Just a Hunter. Waiting for an informed answer.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Brad! I'm going t have to try to load some Accubonds this Spring and see how they stack up. Also plan on loading some 130 grain Barnes TTSX in my Stainless Hawkeye 30-06 and see how they shoot. Now that I'm retired, I have more time to do some testing.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Anytime you add complexity to the bullet making procedure you can expect a degradation in accuracy. The bonding process, which essentially welds the jacket to the core, does exactly that. For that reason, I typically only resort the the accubond when necessary, such as velocities over 3k.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've never had any trouble getting accubonds of any weight to shoot well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have found that Ballistic Tips shoot better than Accubonds and they're easier to find.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve also found Accubonds to be a rather inaccurate bullet. I’ve tried them in 30 cal 165s in the 308, .338 cal 180, 200 in 338 Fed and 225s in the 338-06. In every case other bullets shot better. ABs are never terrible, just never great.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am going to agree with the folks above.

I have tried on several occasions to develop twin loads with AB's and BT's thinking I could buy BT seconds real cheap and hunt with the AB's and have failed each to meet same accuracy with the AB's. Not to say I haven't found a few good AB loads, but in general its been harder with the AB's than BT's, my experience is you can't simply replace one for another in a load and expect identical results.

The other thing is that years ago I felt that BT's weren't constructed strong enough for bigger game or bad angles, but over time Nosler has really bumped up a lot of BT's and they are really a very good game bullet now. They wouldn't be my choice for a big bear or even elk or moose in a "light for the Game" cambering, but in a good sized caliber Id have no second thoughts shooting a heavy for caliber BT into a moose or Elk.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by noKnees
I am going to agree with the folks above.

I have tried on several occasions to develop twin loads with AB's and BT's thinking I could buy BT seconds real cheap and hunt with the AB's and have failed each to meet same accuracy with the AB's. Not to say I haven't found a few good AB loads, but in general its been harder with the AB's than BT's, my experience is you can't simply replace one for another in a load and expect identical results.

The other thing is that years ago I felt that BT's weren't constructed strong enough for bigger game or bad angles, but over time Nosler has really bumped up a lot of BT's and they are really a very good game bullet now. They wouldn't be my choice for a big bear or even elk or moose in a "light for the Game" cambering, but in a good sized caliber Id have no second thoughts shooting a heavy for caliber BT into a moose or Elk.

True about the NBT's and light for caliber load. I typically look for the heaviest NBT I can shoot at 3K.

The .30 cal 180gr NBT has a reputation as a great elk slayer, and I can speak from experience that the .338 200gr NBT is death on elk.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Anytime you add complexity to the bullet making procedure you can expect a degradation in accuracy. The bonding process, which essentially welds the jacket to the core, does exactly that. For that reason, I typically only resort the the accubond when necessary, such as velocities over 3k.

Antelope_Sniper, summed up my thought about the AB's construction quite nicely.

Having said that, the .308 180gr NAB is one of those that often shoots pretty well. The .308" 165gr, not so much. Go figure, but I've found this disparity with these two over and over with various 30 cal rifles.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I had some 165 NBT's that shot great in my 30/06 so I tried 165 NAB's and could never get them to group.

I bought a bunch of 180 NBT's and have been very happy with them.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Same bullet shape, same B.C.

My .300 WM shoots the 180 NBT slightly better than the 180 NAB, same POI, same trajectory.

So, I would shoot NAB's expecting same POI as NBT, would adjust accordingly.

The later NBT's tend to be tougher than the earlier versions.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm another that has found the AB's to be accurate in several of my rifles. What I found was they like a bit of jump. In my 243, they're at .1 off the lands.

500 yards - 4 shots:

[Linked Image]

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. In both the 7mag and 7-08, AB's and BT's shoot the same load into the same holes, little bitty ones. I've never had any trouble whatsoever getting AB's to shoot really well in any cartridge.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+1

Plus one more.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ll also add, they are not necessarily the same shape for the same weight/caliber. The ogive of a .338 180 BT is not the same as the 180 AB. No idea if that applies to other combinations.

F
F
I shoot the two interchangeably in my 7mm-08 with 140s. BTs for deer and ABs for elk.

Field tests have shown they have the same POI for me at least and others have echoed my exp. worth a try. I didn’t work up a new load or anything just plunked them in and shot them. After ringing the 6” gong at 500 yards 20 or so times I put in an AB it it hit the same point. Same thing at 100.

I have mine under a max load or Varget and they shoot great and I get pretty decent speed.

Last edited by FamiliarFate; 12/20/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,683
Posts18,513,474
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.