Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Picked up an VZ-24 Mauser with all the furniture on it. An old relic just the way I want it. The barrel has some rust but I'll give it a cleaning out and see what it looks like and shoot it.

If the barrel is washed out and my old relic doesn't hit the side of a barn what is the best course of action to keep this old rifle shooting well or even great while keeping the original appearance? Or Maybe leave it alone, but it's not 100% matching.

Open to suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rebore to .35 Whelen

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, the woods are full of take-off VZ-24 barrels but the trick is in finding a nice one. They were usually pulled off for a reason. I would start by haunting ebay and Gunbroker, and also spread a bunch of want ads in appropriate classifieds around the internet. Perseverance, luck, and time should land you one eventually. But, then you have to have it installed and pray headspace is hunky-dory afterward. Boring it out to 9mm is an option, but then you'll have money in an admittedly neat conversion and you'll start to plot for a new stock, scope, reblue, etc. and that trip down the rabbit hole will leave you questioning your sanity.

I still look upon old battle scarred VZ-24's as a basis for custom builds and nothing more, but that's me. I like to build them and don't care if its cost effective, but not many guys feel that way anymore.

Lothar Walther used to make a dandy Mauser drop-in barrel, complete with proper steps in it. I don't know if they still do, and if they do it's likely that the cost of one plus installation would probably be more than you have in the gun and certainly make the end cost of the rig a lot more than it's worth.

When buddies call me to ask my opinion on "bargain" cheap milsurps and such my first question is "do you plan to shoot it, and if so what's the bore like?" A cheap bargain is still wasted money if it won't shoot worth a hoot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I still look upon old battle scarred VZ-24's as a basis for custom builds and nothing more, but that's me. I like to build them and don't care if its cost effective, but not many guys feel that way anymore..

Well, there's at least two of us.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to keep it original, you can order a replacement barrel from Lothar Walther. Or, a competent smith can duplicate yours.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
My real goal is to have an historical Mauser that is shootable for recreation and something under 1k or much less in cost.

One good development is I had another old cz24 that had an cut up stock that was missing the top furniture sitting in the closet. This reciever was marked 1937 and the barrel is in excellent condition.

I'm wondering if I could just take the better barreled action from the 1937 and swap it into the furniture of the complete rifle. I know it wouldn't be matching serial numbers and an exact parts correct project, but would this still be acceptable an historical type of war rifle if I swapped in the barreled action.

Finding this barreled action has potentially saved a lot of money and time and gives me an Mauser I can shoot against my American 1903's and M1917's.

Any thoughts?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Unless you are an anal retentive collector, go for it. "All matching " is great, but stop to think about it. Many, many rifles in bothh WWI and WWII were repaired in the field under adverse/battlefield conditions. All matching could/might indicate that the rifle never "saw action". If they could only talk ...

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
If only they could talk? Oh my, that would be incredible.

My goal is historical shooter. I'm not any real type of collector, just need an example to have with my American battle rifles, and I'm also a believer the Mauser was the best bolt action made. I just like them.

I think that since I came across another excellent barreled action I'll trade out the furniture. It's just great to keep these old things on the road and working, and it's only the cost of an new plastic bolt rifle

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
As long as the crown is fine, it will shoot well regardless of the condition of the bore otherwise. If by some chance it doesn’t, you can find scads of barrels at Numrich.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sarco has new production stepped barrels for $95, the sights on a take off probably won't line up anyway, so just reuse the ones you have on the new barrel. Not sure who makes these, should be either Green Mountain or Shaw.

Numrich sells them for about $120, there's are made by Small Arms Man.(Shaw). Last one i got from Numrich was NICE.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 12/24/18.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll guess that by "swapping out the furniture" you mean swapping out the stocks. In that case, why not? (But strictly speaking the "furniture" of a rifle denotes the attachments on the stock: buttplates, swivels, escutcheons, etc. The stock is, well, a stock.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Re-line?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Re-line?

How do you re-line something that never had a liner in the first place ?

Barrel lining is not inexpensive.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Re-line?

I wanted a barrel lined "relined" and couldn't find any person that would do a centerfire cartridge. Rebore and chamber, yes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing you might consider is going for 308 instead of 8x57. I think there are stepped barrels available in that size, I have been thinking about doing that (although I have two good K98 take-offs still in the stash -- wherever that stash happens to be, been a while).

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I still look upon old battle scarred VZ-24's as a basis for custom builds and nothing more, but that's me. I like to build them and don't care if its cost effective, but not many guys feel that way anymore..

Well, there's at least two of us.

3 of us

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Some Brazilian 7mm VZ24s coming into my shop.

[Linked Image]
Some 8mm VZ24s after I forged over the bolt handles.

Between 2000 and 2013 I bought VZ24s.
Some have shiny bores.
But after a while I gave up on surplus barrels, surplus ammo, surplus stocks, etc.

The conversion to 7mmRemMag and 300WinMag is what I have done with the most hunting success with VZ24s. Open the lips, bolt face, extractor, and either mill out the magazine or buy a magazine that feeds 3.34" ammo.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,343
Posts18,506,168
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.