Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
With an approximately 10 year bull run AND the Fed bumping rates, I’d say the pullback is normal. Even though interest rates are historically low,,,,never bet against the Fed. Never.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by irfubar
These stock market threads are always great entertainment, the campfire is full of investment guru's ... but my guess would be very few are even millionaires...........

A million really isn't that much money. It only allows you around $30K income a year.

It isn't that much money till you have to actually earn it and save it beyond day to day living expenses.

But you as a public service employee are a millionaire but you certainly didn't earn it....

Also if you can only achieve $30k a year of cash flow off a million in assets you aint doin it right....

Fugin liberals....

I stand corrected. Fidelity has upped their amount from 3% to 4%, although until a few years ago it was 5%. We live conservatively and my wife has a good income. We don't buy things just to have them. We keep our cars for at least 6-8 years and contribute the max to our retirement plans. It's not how much you save, it's how much the money you save earns.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Damn. I don't know about yous guys.

DOW was at 9600 in April 2009. It peaked at 27,600 in Sept of this year. 9 years, 18000 points. Read that again.

It took the DOW 84 years just to get to 16,000. 84 years.

Nobody "lost" anything...unless you were planning to cash it in back in September and didn't. Of course, wouldn't everybody if we knew then what we know now? cool

^ +1

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
[qu
The math is that gains have been unprecedented in the last nine years. If you had your money in early, you're doing just fine even with a down 2018. Looking at the last 3 months is short sighted.

^ Yep.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm buying..

I'm always buying.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Zero had 0% interest rates, the fed pucker at the Treasury Dept now keeps increasing the interest rates to slow down Trumps economy.

He should be fired!

The fed rate should have never been at 0%. It should be raised to prevent runaway inflation which would be very damning to our economy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatammo
Well most of You buy high and sell low and don't stick. to bad Your problem not mine. Diversify so if You need money You can take it where it is right.

Good advice!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Buy. Hold until you need to or want to retire. Withdraw 5 percent or less per year. Keep riding the waves. It always ends up 8 percent or so and has for many decades.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 12/22/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a child with PCAR stock, I saw the market stay flat for 15 years from 1967 to 1982.
I saw the market crash in 1987.

As an engineer in the 1990s I used to say, "I can make a spectrum analyzer read anything I want, if I can choose over what time interval it integrates."

It would not be stretch to say similarly, "I can show the market gaining or losing any amount, if I can choose the stocks and the time period."

That is looking at the past. Looking at the future, I am all in on 1) AMZN, 2) GOOG, 3) NFLX............

.....I am only up 3% for the last 365 days, but that does not mean I am selling.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85
Investing in the stock market is considered high risk for a reason.

I suppose this could be considered technically correct, but in reality the stock market is VOLATILE, but not risky IN THE LONG TERM.

I sleep like a baby. The stocks I hold are up 27% over the last two years.

The risk is in the upcoming recession and how much it will effect business. That's what I worry about. The market will bounce like a rubber ball like it always does.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All one has to do is pull up the charts for 1 month, 3 month, 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year, and all time for any given stock or any given market and take a deep breath. There’s zero need to panic!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if we will see more chaos in the market in the next few weeks?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...diate-market-chaos-if-trump-ousts-powell

President Donald Trump would create chaos in financial markets if he ousted Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, according to Peter Conti-Brown, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School and author of the 2016 book “The Power and Independence of the Federal Reserve.”

Trump has discussed firing Powell as his frustration with the central bank chief intensified following this week’s interest-rate increase and months of stock-market losses, Bloomberg News reported late Friday, citing four people familiar with the matter.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Buy. Hold until you need to or want to retire.

This advice will make you a fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Squidge
I wonder if we will see more chaos in the market in the next few weeks?

You can be confident that any financial advice from a source that ends in “berg” is intended to make them money, not you.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Where's our resident link provider, with the 'personal investor'?

Care to show me where this was predicted?

This is putting the "CHRIST" in Christmas..............

oh ya, you only lose if you sell...................................

It's only a loss on paper...........................

I won't cum in your ......................

GMAFB.

Many predicted the fall of the markets, but few listened. Look at the number of analysts who (over a year ago) said that the market was overvalued and the boom could not continue. It's just no one could pinpoint a date when investor sentiment would turn. In September, I reduced my risk exposure by selling stocks/funds and put about 10% of my holdings into cash.

Yesterday, I started to "bleed" money back into the market; I'll do it in $5-10,000 increments over the next few months as the market stays volatile.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dutch

I suppose this could be considered technically correct, but in reality the stock market is VOLATILE, but not risky IN THE LONG TERM.

The risk is in the upcoming recession and how much it will effect business. That's what I worry about. The market will bounce like a rubber ball like it always does.

I guess the risk would be, from a retirement stand point. Getting caught in a downturn to close to retirement witch leaves no time to recover losses.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Peter Schiff.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Correct. Many people don't understand what the definition is of "risk" as it relates to the stock market, especially mutual funds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by djs

Many predicted the fall of the markets, but few listened.

I heard predictions of a fall in the market when it hit 18000.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guess the risk would be, from a retirement stand point. Getting caught in a downturn to close to retirement witch leaves no time to recover losses.

I fully agree.

HOWEVER, it is one of my pet peeves that people will put ALL their nest egg on the sidelines when they turn 60 "because they are close to retirement". That's poor advise. In my opinion, at most 10 years of living expenses should be invested "safely". The rest of the retirement fund should be invested aggressively to stay ahead of the inflation monster.

In a typical scenario, the wife will live into her 90's. To park money in CD's from age 60 to age 90, 30 long years is financial malpractice. Take out what you need to live on for the upcoming years and keep it liquid (5 years, 10, whatever your risk tolerance is), and keep the rest of the money working as hard as it can. The ONLY way to fund a 40 year retirement is through compound interest at decent interest rates. You can't fund 40 years of retirement just from 40 years of work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.