-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The more I bird hunt, the more I wonder why I elk hunt. Few more for Bane.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Banner day and banner picture!! Well done by the both of you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Pointer. No quail were harmed during the course of the day and I have to remedy my wing shooting ills. Watching youtube films of quail hunts and looking for weaknesses in their flight paths. Its time to get serious as Bane is getting miffed at me.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Damnfine work 30338! I've got to admit our Remi is not thrilled with my quail shooting ability either... Telling a retrieve crazy Lab " no bird" sucks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The hunting hasn't been the best this year and the fine weather this month hasn't helped any. Very hard to do much damage in conditions such as these. After quite a bit of deer hunting, we are refocusing on what is important and going pheasant hunting three days in a row this weekend. Saturday a group of about a dozen up to Sully County. Sunday a different group about the same size over north of Highmore.

Monday is one of my favorite hunts of the year. The same very small group of 3-4 each year depending on whether adult kids are home for Christmas and able to wake up and go along. We are refugees from our own homes that day and we have a great friend with a world famous lodge who lets us come up in the morning and wreak havoc for a few hours.

Gonna be a good weekend.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was going to do some grouse hunting in the north woods this weekend, but was reminded I had to guide for the Elder members of the family at a Pheasant preserve.
While I'd love to be chasing grouse, I have to pay homage to the ones who guided me in more ways than hunting when I was a youngster.
Looks like the Grouse and my 12yr old Gordon will be getting a break this weekend too.
One day, I hope I'm able to go out into the field when I'm their age.

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Oldest boy, Remi and I investigated a new area today and found a covey of Quail between rain storms. Knocked one down, Remi promptly put up a single after the retrieve ( which I swung on and never got a shot off, pesky safeties...) then put up a single out of range on the road headed back to the truck ( I learned my lesson about letting her get too far ahead in areas I don't think there are birds).

[Linked Image]

After watching me clean birds several times my oldest boy wanted to give it a shot...

[Linked Image]

All in all a pretty good training afternoon for myself, the pup and the boy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Merlot had a breakout day....Bud and I put in 6 hours and Merlot must have put in the equivalent of 10. Something changed and he started going to his Birds head high and minimally fooling around with ground scent. It was a joy to watch. Birds were running strong and some flushed out of range, but a couple of these got up early or came back.

He is beat, tired, muddy and lost some of his hide for the effort. Great day....

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hit up Clark county SD, where my baby sister and her gang live, the first week of December. All wild birds and pretty tough conditions, no snow and no wind make it easy for birds to run and flush wild. I went ahead and shot a limit every day like I always do. I’m always amazed when I go hunt SD at the sheer numbers of birds. And that the locals always tell me how much better it used to be. I’ve hunted up there for 4 seasons and never hunted a day that I didn’t kill a limit. SD has an incredible upland bird population and I’m thankful to be able to go spend some time hunting up there.

I shot my AL48 20ga most of the time this year with 1oz loads of 71/2s. Also shot two roosters with 2 shells with my old reliable Browning Double Auto, one with a 11/4oz of 6s and one with 11/4oz of 2s. Both with fixed MOD chokes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
30338, what kind of dog is that. Good looking dog for sure.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Nice work Battue and Merlot! We spent the morning picking briar thorns and a tick or two out of Remi after a couple days chasing quail in NC. She seems to be really getting the hang of wild birds also putting up three covey's in two days along with a few stragglers that tried to hide out at the scene of the crime. Wish I had some Pheasant to chase down here!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Texczech
30338, what kind of dog is that. Good looking dog for sure.

Tex, he is a Drahthaar. And thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Merlot had a breakout day....Bud and I put in 6 hours and Merlot must have put in the equivalent of 10. Something changed and he started going to his Birds head high and minimally fooling around with ground scent. It was a joy to watch. Birds were running strong and some flushed out of range, but a couple of these got up early or came back.

He is beat, tired, muddy and lost some of his hide for the effort. Great day....

[Linked Image]

Merlot is going to be sleeping hard tonight. So fun watching them work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Nice work Battue and Merlot! We spent the morning picking briar thorns and a tick or two out of Remi after a couple days chasing quail in NC. She seems to be really getting the hang of wild birds also putting up three covey's in two days along with a few stragglers that tried to hide out at the scene of the crime. Wish I had some Pheasant to chase down here!

No ticks out anymore here, its feeling like winter. Nice work on the quail. Sounds like Remi is coming on nicely too. The more they hunt, the better they get for sure.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
If my shooting ever gets on par with the dog work the birds will be in trouble! These were the first ticks I've found on her this season, heading home to Florida for a week now I'm sure that'll change....

K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Nice pic Harry! Give Merlot a treat from me.. You need to run a vest on that little guy!

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Vest? You should see his nuts!!!! They were glowing like two hot coals. Last trip to the Vets after a hunt, the Vet said WTH is going on with his balls? The skin was hanging in shreds. I said you run naked thru the jaggers and greenbrier and you will know. He just said damn and gave me a free tube of bactroban.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We enjoyed great hunting in South Dakota this year. I think bird numbers were double from last. I was there all November.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks awesome. See any grouse?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A month should just be about right.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,988
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.