Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bgl0b6
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I bought the Henry youth model for the boys about 14 yrs ago and while it served its purpose I was really disappointed in the sites on it. You could not adjust it enough to shoot to POI . It shot about 3” too high with standard velocity ammo. At that time I posted my issues with it on some of the various sites like this place and found it to be a common problem. That told me they know about it but didn’t care to correct it. Yea it take very little swap out a site on my own but I just hated the fact they(Henry) would sell it that way. The rifle did chamber everything well and was smooth enough especially for the price. I would prefer the pump for your needs if you could find one of the Rossi copies that are out there. Otherwise it won’t be an affordable option unless you get real lucky from someone.

Who told you they knew about it and didn't care?Henry?They have one of the best service departments,if not the best in the industry,they will bend over backwards to fix any issue out there.That is the first time I have ever heard that complaint....See where customer relations with Remington or Marlin will get you LOL

I'll call BS on this. I have a Henry I bought for my son a number of years back. The magazine tube fell out of the receiver. The tube had electrical tape wrapped around the tube where it fit into the receiver! I talked to the president of Henry and I sent the rifle back for repair/replacement, They sent it back "repaired". 1st time back out the tube popped back out. I called Henry back and they said they would send me the repair part. They sent me a fooking O-ring. That POS still sits in the back of my safe. No way would I sell this turd to anyone. It serves as my reminder to never buy another Henry turd.

BP...

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
yesterday I sold a henry 22 mag. wonderful carry gun, short and light. slickest action that never missed a beat- and the magazine tube had no problems.

could not hit a pop can at 50 ft with an 18x scope on it. the marlin will hit a quarter at 50yd. with mini mags and a dime with ely.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
for those that say the 572's are accurate, i'd like to know the secret. mine is a scattergun. i've deleaded the barrel, changed scopes, mounts, etc and it is at best a tin can gun. definitely not anywhere near my 77/22's. i like it and am a pumpgun guy but this one is a dud. and its been in the family for almost 50 years and was bought new. its never been good. i'd buy another but don't want to take a chance. i was thinking of maybe a 121.

This might be a dumb question but is your 572 by chance a smooth bore,they did make them.And in that case with out rifling it would tend to shoot all over with a bullet.all the 572s I shot or knew of were very accurate

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
no its rifled. its the BDL model. nice wood and blue. pretty gun and very handy. just not accurate enough for hunting. i've tried most ammo from thunderturds to CCI mini-mags. all shoot about the same.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ok,just had to ask,most of the older 22 pumps I've known of over the years have been real accurate.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Henry's are an EPIC Fhuqk Show,in relative Goat Fhuqktdom.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only Henry I'd ever have any interest in would be the original brass frame .44 RF. Last one I saw at a gun show was not far removed from excellent condition. Also had a sticker price of $125K. I'm just a po boy. -sniff-

There has been a Rem 572 in the family for about 50 years. Brother bought it new, it was passed to me in the mid 80s. Shot remarkably well, particularly with shorts. Passed it to my nephew when he was old enough and he's still using it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marlin 56's are nice if you can find a clean one

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too easy to buy something good.

Hint.

Pass the 39's................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Always had a soft spot for those. Of course, I have a Savage 99, so it looks good...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As classics go, a Rem model 12a/141 is impossible to beat for plain fun. Iron sights. Think gallery gun.

As new goes, option to scope, the marlin 39 or the blr/browning midas are no-brainers.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sandcritter
As classics go, a Rem model 12a/141 is impossible to beat for plain fun. Iron sights. Think gallery gun.

As new goes, option to scope, the marlin 39 or the blr/browning midas are no-brainers.

Do you mean "121", rather than "141"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
er, yeah blush sorry

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Marlin 39, and Rem 121 would be my choices for quality and accuracy. That said, they are both man sized .22's. I don't consider either one sized for a kid.

My 1958 production Rem 121 is a tremendous .22, loads of fun and very accurate for open sights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by davet
The Marlin 39, and Rem 121 would be my choices for quality and accuracy. That said, they are both man sized .22's. I don't consider either one sized for a kid.

My 1958 production Rem 121 is a tremendous .22, loads of fun and very accurate for open sights.

In regards to the Marlin 39A rifles, a Mounty model might be a tad handier for kid. But LOP would still be an issue.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
In pump 22s I have the Remington 12, 12a, 121, 241, and 572.
I have the Colt 1890.
I have the Winchester 1906, 61, and the 62A.

The expensive Winchester 61 is the best.
The cheap Remington 572 is second. The only fault I can find after killing zillions of small animals is it may jam with rapid fire 22 shorts shooting straight up.

[Linked Image]
In lever actions I have the Marlin 39.

[Linked Image]
The Marlin was factory drilled and tapped for some 3/4" Weaver scope.

[Linked Image]
Getting the Marlin to have a 1" tube scope over the bore [without drilling and tapping more holes] requires making an adapter plate. And possibly adding a hammer extender if the eyepiece crowds your thumb.

[Linked Image]

My Marlin 39 made in 1954 had almost no usage. One theory is that the *29 ejector lock rivet was left in bore cleaning position and would not eject.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've never seen one with a checkered stock, beautiful..Nice walnut and the the peep really adds to it.. nice find. I'm a '39 guy, but, if I came across a 57 or 56 that looked like that, i'd take it home. No beer goggles required.

39Ms

here are my '66 and '73 39M's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those are nice!

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One lever rimfire gun that is all but forgotten is the Ruger 96/22.

They are becoming hard to find and often the price is reflective of that.

They are not real smooth in the action, but are robust, sized right for youth and adults, accept scope mounts, use the same mags as a 10/22, and my example is fairly accurate.

A plus to me is that the stock, and the entire rifle for that matter, is plain enough to not worry about scratches or dings.

That said, I would recommend the Browning BL22 as they are lighter weight,have better fit and finish, readily available and can be had in a higher grade of finish if desired.

Keep the BL22 away from your wife however, or she may claim it for herself as my wife has. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
96/22's are Dog Schit. The BL-22 simply pales in ALL regards,to a 39.

Hint....................

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (12344mag, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,268
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.