Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks,

Looking for suggestions on high quality factory offerings for tracking wounded black bear. Not worried about aggressiveness or man eating qualities of a black bear, but these follow ups are in incredibly thick forest, so I want to ensure penetration and portability is the utmost priority of this rifle.

Short barrel is preferred, I’ll scope the cut but will not get carried away. I still want it to be able to be used at standard hunting ranges, 300yds or less in event I am feeling shifty and choose to use said rifle..

Initially thought .375H&H but I am really struggling finding anything less then 8lbs plus...yes I completely understand physics and the lighter the rifle the more it recoils...etc.

Ruger has an offering I think called the guide gun, but only is offered in the .375 Ruger- I like brass availability, ammo etc. I do handload but want some
Offerings at my disposal for decent factory loads...700NE is out, sorry!

Didn’t I mention I prefer stainless?

Thanks guys,

MK

MK
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a Ruger in 450BM, load it with 300gr XTPs and top it with a 1-4x scope.

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Kimber Talkeetna and cut the bbl back until you're happy.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Remington 760 or 7600 35 Whelen.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barrett Fieldcraft 18-in. 6.5 Creed, Barnes factory 127 LRX, 20 MOS Pic rail, scope of choice in QR mount and Aimpoint in same (in pack of pocket) if you must go in thick stuff to follow up.

Unless you're azz shooting some gigantic NC black bear that load will leave two holes leaking blood.

Such a rig will do all you require with aplomb.

ETA: I've had a 270 grain .375 H&H tumble after clipping a branch before hitting a buck at 65 yards in the Swamp. A follow-up shot through the lungs ended the affray, after which it ran 40+ yards...

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 12/26/18.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Remington M7600 in .30-06 or 35 Whelen.

Camp is where you make it.
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Barrett Fieldcraft 18-in. 6.5 Creed, Barnes factory 127 LRX, 20 MOS Pic rail, scope of choice in QR mount and Aimpoint in same (in pack of pocket) if you must go in thick stuff to follow up.

Unless you're azz shooting some gigantic NC black bear that load will leave two holes leaking blood.

Such a rig will do all you require with aplomb.

ETA: I've had a 270 grain .375 H&H tumble after clipping a branch before hitting a buck at 65 yards in the Swamp. A follow-up shot through the lungs ended the affray, after which it ran 40+ yards...

ColdCase, the largest spring bear we took last year was 460lbs....the country is ugly, the further from the road the bears go, the worse off life gets. Very swampy, wet, thick territory, and sadly I usually have to follow up on an average of 6-8 bears per season. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t had to shoot the azz of large black bear, but was last case scenario, and it most certainly worked And exited through the lower chest with a 500gr Barnes in a .45-70. As one could imagine you could nearly see the bullet in flight, not likely good for 300yds....Granted there are other options in projectiles

Talkeetna was on my short list, as was a whelen of sorts...Guide gun is intriguing, but I’m not sure I’m the right marksman for lobbing a .45-70 to 300yds..Unlikely most of the time, but we do hunt a few clear cuts.

MK

MK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No flys on the 375 Ruger......ammo included.......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would get a Marlin 45-70 or an AR15 in 458 SOCOM

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A .375 of any persuasion other than a 375 Winchester will be a handful with 20-inch barrel on a somewhat light carry rifle. Since the probability of life and death are not really in the mix, I would look to utilize a .30, .33, or .35 on a short action with 20-inch barrel. Heavy for caliber bullets for thick woods work 180 gr, 190 gr, 200 gr, 210 gr, 225 gr 250 gr, 270 gr, 286 gr or 300 gr depending on choice. Any of the 308 Win based cartridges (338 Fed, 358 Win), including the 308 Win would be pretty good choices for your described needs. The same could be said for utilizing a std long action such as 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 Mauser or perhaps the 376 Steyr with short barrel and light scope. Penetration at distances on game is a matter of picking the right bullet for the job and has little to do with the cartridge at hand. There are several off-the-shelf new and used non-magnum rifles that are available in stainless short barreled action configurations that would meet your specs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger M77RSI in 30-06. Has 18.5" barrel & CRF. They weigh 6 pounds and about 12 ounces, Replace the rear folding sight with an express blade and use 180 grain Nosler partition loads. Short, light and potent. RJ

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Any suggestion of .45-70 or similar ignores the man's request for a rifle to go 300 yards. I'd say take your pick of either 35 Whelen or 9.3x62, with my bias being for the 9.3. With 286 partitions it will kill any black bear from any angle you encounter and will stretch to 300 with either 286s or 250s. You can have any '06 based round rifle made into a 35 or 9.3 by JES. Many threads on here about it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MK257
Folks,

Looking for suggestions on high quality factory offerings for tracking wounded black bear. Not worried about aggressiveness or man eating qualities of a black bear, but these follow ups are in incredibly thick forest, so I want to ensure penetration and portability is the utmost priority of this rifle.

Short barrel is preferred, I’ll scope the cut but will not get carried away. I still want it to be able to be used at standard hunting ranges, 300yds or less in event I am feeling shifty and choose to use said rifle..

Initially thought .375H&H but I am really struggling finding anything less then 8lbs plus...yes I completely understand physics and the lighter the rifle the more it recoils...etc.

Ruger has an offering I think called the guide gun, but only is offered in the .375 Ruger- I like brass availability, ammo etc. I do handload but want some

Thanks guys,

MK

Have seen 'em shot with a myriad of chambering/bullets and it's my door that gets the knock,or my phone the ring...for mopping schit up. Light done right has no equal and bullets are better Today,than they've ever been. I've as much faith in a 7-08,as I do anything else and it'd be a Fieldcraft stoked with 180's for me. Have seen a Montucky 7 Whizzum stoked with various 162's,do rather nice thangs as well,both on the front of Splendid Beasties,as well as the stern.

If it doesn't balance/handle well,speed and ease of use go out the door. If it ain't fun to shoot and shot a bunch,speed and ease of use go out the door. It'd be a modest chambering,with a modest spout,shooting a Skookum bullet,that would see lotsa use/Utility and be a Faith Builder. I prolly have lotsa them.(grin)

Hint.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do have a stainless coated rifle that’s unfired in .300 win mag...I considered lopping the barrel down to 20” and loading 200gr bullets in it for just this occasion..thoughts? Thinking a 200gr partition, tsx, or harder would be disastrous in terms of penetration on chitty angles..

MK
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Folks,

Thanks guys,

MK

Have seen 'em shot with a myriad of chambering/bullets and it's my door that gets the knock,or my phone the ring...for mopping schit up. Light done right has no equal and bullets are better Today,than they've ever been. I've as much faith in a 7-08,as I do anything else and it'd be a Fieldcraft stoked with 180's for me. Have seen a Montucky 7 Whizzum stoked with various 162's,do rather nice thangs as well,both on the front of Splendid Beasties,as well as the stern.

If it doesn't balance/handle well,speed and ease of use go out the door. If it ain't fun to shoot and shot a bunch,speed and ease of use go out the door. It'd be a modest chambering,with a modest spout,shooting a Skookum bullet,that would see lotsa use/Utility and be a Faith Builder. I prolly have lotsa them.(grin)

Hint.........................

Stick- I couldn’t agree more. See my last post, said rifle is of a perfect balance for what a I like, just not quite light enough for what i am thinking..Cutting tube 5” should gain me the balance I want. Or ditch and rebuy is where I am at..was considering a Fieldcraft in a threaded .308...light, short...you get it. Agree on the bullets...

MK
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If its up close and personal........

[Linked Image]

Here's the combo I carry!

the G20 SF gives one 16 friends to back him up if he gets jammed up,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and it's hard to argue with the effectiveness of a 12 ga. shotgun loaded with 6 rounds of 3" #00 Buck

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

but then, come to think of it, neither are of much good for being in a thicket where one can have a 300 yd shot!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/26/18.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd wayyyyyyyyy rather drive a 7-08...than a 300 in ANY fhuqking flavor(Whizzum,Winny,Roy,H&H,etc,etc.,)f only because I've got/shot lots of both.

FC's come 18" and threaded,if that's your jam. A 20" 300Winny wouldn't be ANY fun to "compare" against a FC 7-08,stoked with 180's.

Hint..................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Agree GW,

The country said game is harvested in will not allow me to carry a pistol, and the shotgun won’t provide me with a daily hunter.

I can’t disagree with your choice or proof!

MK
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Agree GW,

The country said game is harvested in will not allow me to carry a pistol, and the shotgun won’t provide me with a daily hunter.

I can’t disagree with your choice or proof!

Bummer!
45-70 in the Guide gun is a great choice in thick stuff, as IMHO a lever gun is faster than a bolt action on follow ups. But you've got quite a bit of hold over to accomplishe at 300 yds with a 400 gr. Speer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Luv my 20" barreled 376 Steyr Pro Hunter with the 235 Gr. Barnes TSX

[Linked Image]

I've not tried it at 300 yds, but do have it zero'd at 200

+/- 3" high at 100 yds

[Linked Image]

A Browning BAR. in. 7 Mag would work. Flat trajectory and quick followups.

[Linked Image]

Good luck on your quest!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,578 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.