Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
What's the deal with the American prairie reserve? Good for Montana? Good for hunters? Heard a podcast with an apr rep that sounded ok, but also had some weird moments (concerning hunter access).

Merry Christmas

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
What's the deal with the American prairie reserve? Good for Montana? Good for hunters? Heard a podcast with an apr rep that sounded ok, but also had some weird moments (concerning hunter access).

Merry Christmas

I want to find out as well.....I want to hear the facts, no rhetoric from either side...……..bob

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

I think you will find that the private landowners aren’t as taken with this philosophy as those that are promoting this concept...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I think you will find that the private landowners aren’t as taken with this philosophy as those that are promoting this concept...

Yup !

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Dipshits from all over have thought about how they can steal Montana and wide open spaces for their own concept of using someone else’s property for their benefit. This isn’t new...

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/22/us/plan-for-preserve-aired-in-montana.html

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
What struck me as odd in the podcast a question was posed to the effect of "could you add into your mission statement a promise to always provide some sort of public hunting easement?" The rebuttal was to the point "no". And then subject of legal easements should be studied for years before putting them in writing due to the difficulties of changing them. Which wasn't the question. Nobody wanted the actual physical easements in place, it was a ceremonial gesture of good faith (in my opinion) that hunters would always be welcomed in some fashion.

Then the apr rep bemoaned lazy tightwad hunters that are unwilling to pay their fair share for wildlife conservation.......not really the stance I'd take if I was begging for money....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dipshits from all over have thought about how they can steal Montana and wide open spaces for their own concept of using someone else’s property for their benefit. This isn’t new...

My understanding of the APR is that they buy the land. How is that “stealing” someone else’s property?

I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder where they get the money to buy land?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bellydeep

My understanding of the APR is that they buy the land. How is that “stealing” someone else’s property?

I'm not from MT, however I looked into APP a bit on their own website. When I look on a map of exactly what they have and where they have it, what's apparent to me is that they can buy a few small (for that country) private pieces and lock-up/deny access to enormous pieces of public land.

The board of directors has some Bios on their website, you might have a look into them.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://youtu.be/QUW-XemFSFo

I found it interesting that Mr Gerrity gushes about hunting with Steven Rinella, but fails to even mention it at Google......odd. it almost sounded like a big part of his life and apart of conservation, but yet he forgot all about it.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/25/18.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like so many so called "conservationist" groups out there, APR has been able to paint themselves as pro hunter. They use this to avoid massive backlash against their buying of enormous chunks of land and taking it out of production. They put buffalo on the land and then when they get out, they aren't very neighborly. It's all a big hippie pipedream tied to the Big Open. They are hated in ranching communities by virtually everyone. Hollywood/ big city money is buying up Montana so it can be made into this fool's wonderland.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I know several people that have hunting big game and upland birds on APR property. No complaints.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I look at what they've purchased, it looks to me like they could nearly close off public access to the N side of the CMR.

Can you imagine only being able to access the CMR by the Hwy on the W end or via the river with the only other option being paying $125/night to stay in one of their Yurts?

I have 0 issue with working ranches doing what they do. I have serious complaint about buying up land specifically to block access to even larger parcels of public land.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

It is also odd that all the APR proponents don't own any of that land, haven't lived there, drive a Subaru Outback and yet they know what is best for that land and America. They don't address farmers and ranchers, only their Utopian idea of another wilderness and not only that but the largest in America, referencing the Serengeti in Africa and using it as a model to bring Africa to the plains of Montana.

All Gerrity said is we, us and his view of what he wants to do with Montana. He doesn't like farming and ranching taking up the land to raise beef and grain, when it could be used for a better purpose, APR.

He not only lays claim to private property but all state, BLM, and federal land within his proposed "Ecosystem." How he can propose that when he and his kind keep claiming the Republicans want to privatize federal land, and under his Model, he can change and manage much of the same property they want left alone. When you show me the ranches and farms with "For Sale" signs and the landowners with their hands out for his "buy out" money, then maybe I would be less critical...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by horse1
When I look at what they've purchased, it looks to me like they could nearly close off public access to the N side of the CMR.

Can you imagine only being able to access the CMR by the Hwy on the W end or via the river with the only other option being paying $125/night to stay in one of their Yurts?

I have 0 issue with working ranches doing what they do. I have serious complaint about buying up land specifically to block access to even larger parcels of public land.

so if a rancher buys the land, and intends to block access…...then that is different? .its all the same......bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobMt

so if a rancher buys the land, and intends to block access…...then that is different? .its all the same......bob

The vast majority of rancher's block access, and most deny hunting access to the public given the prevailing prices outfitters will pay. I'd rather have bison grazing on unbroken landscape than cows on fenced-up sections.

I'll keep an open mind about this as I don't have all the facts. However, there's a lot of popular sentiment expressed on this thread, most of which would have left us without National Parks, National Forest, or Wilderness Area's.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by horse1

> so if a rancher buys the land, and intends to block access…...then that is different? .its all the same......bob

> I would agree both ways are very wrong,but some on this post got their own deals with the ranchers in a small way. but in the future we could all lose ? some working ranchers do block access and that`s not good either !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Brad

The vast majority of rancher's block access, and most deny hunting access to the public given the prevailing prices outfitters will pay. I'd rather have bison grazing on unbroken landscape than cows on fenced-up sections.

There's a lot of popular sentiment expressed on this thread, most of which would have left us without National Parks, National Forest, or Wilderness Area's...

You are an unhappy import that wants what is best for you and don’t want to respect private property rights that have existed longer than Montana has been a state. Quit your bitching about ranchers and landowners that don’t want you on their property or go back to where you came from...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=Brad]
You are an unhappy import that wants what is best for you and don’t want to respect private property rights that have existed longer than Montana has been a state. Quit your bitching about ranchers and landowners that don’t want you on their property or go back to where you came from...

You been arrested yet for defacing public property?

Funny a criminal lecturing me...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And of course you're too ignorant to understand the irony of land seizure in Montana...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 49 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,756
Posts18,514,833
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.