Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
1930 99K takedown in .300 savage Lyman peep w/Hensoldt Wetzlar scope and Griffin&Howe mount.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Unfortunately drilled and tapped for this scope rig and sling swivels. I do not know any history on this fine rifle.

Last edited by Savage5516; 12/26/18.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any more and you'll have to start providing centerfolds!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savage5516
[Linked Image]

Ok, that's just funny right there.

LOL
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Color me jealous! I've been trying to redefine "affordable" , and "acceptable condition" in my own search for a 300 K. Yours looks to be in really nice shape, looking beyond the side holes. Good for You!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if you are going to put a scope on a K, least the man had the good sense to go to G&H.

A nice first class set-up

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hilarious!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy
Well if you are going to put a scope on a K, least the man had the good sense to go to G&H.

A nice first class set-up

Indeed. The scope mount on this one wouldn't turn me off one bit. (It's a G&H mount for sure, but I'll bet that G&H didn't install it. G&H's installation protocol was to always utilize two tapered pins in addition to the three screws, and they used screw heads that sat well proud of the mount and then ground them and the pins off flush with the surface of the mount leaving a clean surface that you have to look closely at to see evidence of them. Removal of the mount after that is extremely difficult.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Indeed. The scope mount on this one wouldn't turn me off one bit. (It's a G&H mount for sure, but I'll bet that G&H didn't install it. G&H's installation protocol was to always utilize two tapered pins in addition to the three screws, and they used screw heads that sat well proud of the mount and then ground them and the pins off flush with the surface of the mount leaving a clean surface that you have to look closely at to see evidence of them. Removal of the mount after that is extremely difficult.)

Good piece of information right there. ^^^

LOL
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in here but I've always wondered about scope mounts on model Ks. The one I have was fitted with a Williams mount that I haven't seen anywhere else. As much as I hate to see drill and tap on such a fine example, the hole are well done and fairly inconspicuous. Other examples?

http://[Linked Image]

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That is a nice piece, and yes the holes are tucked in nicely, but they are still there nonetheless.

I never fooled with a Williams mount like that. Are the rings quick detachable in nature? Ie: can you remove the scope quickly/easily if iron sights are desired? If so, is the remaining mount unobtrusive for wraparound hand carrying of the rifle? Does the gun's zero remain constant over repeated scope installation/removal? If the answer to any of those questions is "no" then the G&H system remains king of the hill IMO. Also, IMO, there has to be a darn good reason to settle for a classic rifle with non-factory holes and the G&H system is pretty much the only one that I'll abide.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You ask some good questions that I can't answer as I have never mounted it or even played with it. I will learn more soon as I plan on taking it hunting with scope attached. Frankly, having the ability to switch back and forth has no appeal to me given where I hunt.

As for a good reason to "settle" - it was very affordable.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The Williams scope mount has set screws/lock screws that you need to remove to then be able to turn the dials and remove the scope with the rings intact. I do not have a side mount Williams but I do have a top mount Williams and they look exactly the same other than how the base mounts to the rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Keystone 250
You ask some good questions that I can't answer as I have never mounted it or even played with it. I will learn more soon as I plan on taking it hunting with scope attached. Frankly, having the ability to switch back and forth has no appeal to me given where I hunt.

As for a good reason to "settle" - it was very affordable.

Gotcha. I still admire that rifle. The only way I can justify such cuts above the mundane is by seeking out those guns which have suffered small alterations during their existence. I would've zero'ed in on that one too.

I challenge my comrades to think "outside the box" for a minute and consider iron sight usage (preferably in the form of aperture sights) as being primary sighting equipment with optics carried along as adjunct sighting equipment. There's a lot to be said for that approach (ergonomics being chief among them), but only for those to whom the well beaten trail is merely a suggestion not a directive.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I challenge my comrades to think "outside the box" for a minute and consider iron sight usage (preferably in the form of aperture sights) as being primary sighting equipment with optics carried along as adjunct sighting equipment. There's a lot to be said for that approach (ergonomics being chief among them), but only for those to whom the well beaten trail is merely a suggestion not a directive.

I agree with you and now that I'm retiring maybe I'll have the time to go that direction. I have had a very short window to hunt and in an area that requires "three up on a side" (brow tines don't count) so having good optics is key to filling the freezer.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My 1928 vintage 99K has these holes. There is probably another one under the rear sight. I was hoping they were factory but they weren't listed in the JTC letter. The engraving is shallow (I've seen some other K's with shallow engraving) but it doesn't appear to be refinished. It's a 300. It does have filled sling swivel holes in the buttstock and forearm and it's pretty gray. It lettered as going to Los Angeles. I bought it in Utah. Superfluous info but someone might be interested. David
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/28/18.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 1916 250-3000 with two holes in the barrel. I figure these were for the rear sight on this gun because there is no rear sight just a peep and front site.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Wyo1895, the rear sight on my 99k is shorter than yours and does not cover the engraving. Maybe yours is not correct for your rifle?? Since it covers the engraving? I also noticed there are two more holes on yours in front of the site. Would they be for some type of scope mount?

Last edited by Savage5516; 12/28/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,464
Posts18,529,198
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.