-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if trump foundation wants to buy all that land and more, have there own recreation area , so to speak,
willing buyer, willing seller type deal, pay 2x what the real market will bear, good or bad?

more taxes for local economy?, could cut of access, but so could anyone, dont understand rationale of being upset over private parties buying private land and doing as they see fit, pay there taxes ect,,,, wilkes have a big piece of pie in montana , what if they want to run buffalo on there land?

i live there, own property, recreate, ect, locales really seem to hate the idea, i hate the ideas of some of the locales how they treat there land and there leases,,, but im not trying to tell them what to do with there private land,,,,

ive spent numerous days recreating on AP land so far, some of it well managed some of it not so much,

way to many legal roads thru the north side to worry about closing all access,
will always be a great debate though,,,

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

I'd rather have bison grazing on unbroken landscape than cows on fenced-up sections.

I'll keep an open mind about this as I don't have all the facts.

This sums it up, at least partially. Open mind, you have to be kidding. Against the livestock industry, absolutely...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Un-prosecuted felon, absolutely...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 300stw
if trump foundation wants to buy all that land and more, have there own recreation area , so to speak,
willing buyer, willing seller type deal, pay 2x what the real market will bear, good or bad?

more taxes for local economy?, could cut of access, but so could anyone, dont understand rationale of being upset over private parties buying private land and doing as they see fit, pay there taxes ect,,,, wilkes have a big piece of pie in montana , what if they want to run buffalo on there land?

i live there, own property, recreate, ect, locales really seem to hate the idea, i hate the ideas of some of the locales how they treat there land and there leases,,, but im not trying to tell them what to do with there private land,,,,

ive spent numerous days recreating on AP land so far, some of it well managed some of it not so much,

pretty much how I think about it...……….bob

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is also odd that all the APR proponents don't own any of that land, haven't lived there, drive a Subaru Outback and yet they know what is best for that land and America. They don't address farmers and ranchers, only their Utopian idea of another wilderness and not only that but the largest in America, referencing the Serengeti in Africa and using it as a model to bring Africa to the plains of Montana.

All Gerrity said is we, us and his view of what he wants to do with Montana. He doesn't like farming and ranching taking up the land to raise beef and grain, when it could be used for a better purpose, APR.

He not only lays claim to private property but all state, BLM, and federal land within his proposed "Ecosystem." How he can propose that when he and his kind keep claiming the Republicans want to privatize federal land, and under his Model, he can change and manage much of the same property they want left alone. When you show me the ranches and farms with "For Sale" signs and the landowners with their hands out for his "buy out" money, then maybe I would be less critical...

>>>1st Chuck Norris of Montana NO YOUR A DEAD BEAT "FELON" IN MONTANA ! why has this felon not been arrested ? somebody needs to contact a law office and put this idiot in jail/prison !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobMt

pretty much how I think about it...……….bob

>> Bob you 110 % right << thanks for posting the truth !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by horse1
When I look at what they've purchased, it looks to me like they could nearly close off public access to the N side of the CMR.

Can you imagine only being able to access the CMR by the Hwy on the W end or via the river with the only other option being paying $125/night to stay in one of their Yurts?

I have 0 issue with working ranches doing what they do. I have serious complaint about buying up land specifically to block access to even larger parcels of public land.

so if a rancher buys the land, and intends to block access…...then that is different? .its all the same......bob

How long have Local ranchers been buying up private land to lock up large parcels of public? Seems to me that the rate at which it's happening has increased exponentially with the advent of the outdoor channel and the internet. Maybe I'm wrong, I only really started paying attention to that sort of thing about 2000 when I'd graduated college and landed a career that afforded me enough time and $$ to consider hunting out of state. For all I know that sort of thing has been going on since WWI.

My opinions regarding APR come from reading what I've read on their website including the BIO's of their BOD, nothing more. I've spent a whopping 2.5 days in that country during opening week of 2018 deer/elk season and that's the only time I've spent off of Hwy 2 in that country. That said, I can read a map and it wouldn't take very many road closures in that country to have an awful lot of the W end of the CMR inaccessible short of Hwy191 or coming up off of the river.

There's a loop off of Cow Island Road that runs through the Wilkes Ranch on the NE end and through the Pinwheel ranch on the SW end. That loop of trail provides access to nearly 100Sq Mi within 3Mi of the trail. When we got to the Wilkes Ranch access to that trail was gated off and posted private road, which it certainly appears to be. ~2300ac blocks access to 100Sq Mi. According to the big paper map we bought in Chinook or Harlem (can't recall which) it looks like this should be a public trail but given how the gate was signed, I wasn't about to test the water. Based on the BLM maps and GPS chips I have, It wouldn't take but about 12-15 similar situations and the N end of the CMR would be nearly impossible to access.

We weren't really hunting, more scouting deer #'s and access to country we'd never been in. We'd killed our elk early further south and decided to look at new country. I can't say I hunted any of that country, more like took a few days driving around with binocs and spotting scopes.

If I'm missing something, I'm all ears.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

horse...…..my point is ...it doesn't matter who buys it...….rancher, or anyone else...….more than likely access will be cut off.

been happening since the west has been settled.....

if it is for sale, its going to be bought...……….on the other hand, friend of mine had a ranch eastern montana….put it up for sale no one bought it till either the land or nature conserves' bought and gave it to the CMR …..now its all public land.

everyone had a chance to buy it...…...bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Everyone wants to make the claim that ranchers buy the land to close it off same as possible with APR.

Not true. Not a valid comparison.

True, some ranches are bought by private parties and they clamp down access. But show me a rancher who is acquiring land in the scope the apr is with the specific desire to control the wildlife and access. Not out there.

apr is a consortium of out-of-state money that is being used to greatly alter the landscape of our rural area. Read the bios of those behind this. If you think these guys have anyone's interest at heart but their own idyllic view of how us they know better than the rest of us about how things should be done, you are kidding yourself. Typical liberal viewpoint that they are so much smarter than the rest of us.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
look at a bunch of ranches for sale,,,,, if the public land attached to the private, that fact would never be mentioned in an add,,,,,, ranches are sold everyday on the fact of how much public land leases go with the ranch, how well those public parcels can be secured,

over night a 1000 acre deeded ranch is advertised as a 4500 acre ranch and priced accordingly, but , its still 1000 acre of private, health of range and wildlife on those leases add many dollars to the total price,,,,

not many of us, if we had the funds, would not do the same as apr, buy and piece together a large spread so we can control access, resources( water, grass, wildlife),

look at sold realestate in the west , over 1000 acres, when your research is done, tell us how many of these ranches have controlled access to the resources, leased to outfitters, non tresspassing, private resorts of such, its being done everyday,,,

now if apr were scamming every landowner out of there land or locking every gate maybe i would be dead set against them, in the coming years pay attention to private land access and see if it gets better or worse for us non-rich people,,,

i could almost see the day that APR and CMR end up in bed together, will just take the right political climate,,,,

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
look at a bunch of ranches for sale,,,,, if the public land attached to the private, that fact would never be mentioned in an add,,,,,, ranches are sold everyday on the fact of how much public land leases go with the ranch, how well those public parcels can be secured,

over night a 1000 acre deeded ranch is advertised as a 4500 acre ranch and priced accordingly, but , its still 1000 acre of private, health of range and wildlife on those leases add many dollars to the total price,,,,

not many of us, if we had the funds, would not do the same as apr, buy and piece together a large spread so we can control access, resources( water, grass, wildlife),

look at sold realestate in the west , over 1000 acres, when your research is done, tell us how many of these ranches have controlled access to the resources, leased to outfitters, non tresspassing, private resorts of such, its being done everyday,,,

now if apr were scamming every landowner out of there land or locking every gate maybe i would be dead set against them, in the coming years pay attention to private land access and see if it gets better or worse for us non-rich people,,,

i could almost see the day that APR and CMR end up in bed together, will just take the right political climate,,,,

VERY WELL SAID AND POSTED ! this is what I have been saying and posting too !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DENIED ACCESS and Montana shoulder season go hand in hand just watch how poor elk hunting will be in a few years ?

Last edited by pete53; 12/27/18.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So why don't the locals want these guys buying land, they're hippies and won't be running cows?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I thought all you right wingers believed in private property rights. Or is that only when convenient?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by callnum
I thought all you right wingers believed in private property rights. Or is that only when convenient?

who says they don't?...…...for the record......I am for property rights....be it...ranchers....tree huggers...or the guy with a house in a subdivision.....bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread is a literal retard magnet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Throw in some wolves, wilderness trophy homes and a whole bunch more outta state money/influence and we'll be saved!

And buffalo and yurts....

How could I forget that eco-tourism is gonna be our saving grace.

Hunting?

Yeah right.

Like I said, retard magnet.

Seacrest out.

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/27/18.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
t

the thing is......if someone puts their land up for sale........no telling who's going to buy it.........bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've done a fair bit of hunting on APR land and I have no complaints about the access.

Also, a deal struck between a willing buyer and a willing seller is nobodies business but the 2 parties involved.

If you don't like APR buying private land, good, find some funding and out-bid them or stop complaining.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't dive a flying fuuck about them buying land.

It's their intentions that annoy me.

Of course you'd suck it right up.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,415
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.