Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I received my first AR for Christmas, a Ruger AR-556. Haven't fired it yet, wondering if I should Dyna bore coat the barrel before christening it? I'm also new to the Dyna-Tek bore coat--have had the product for sometime, yet to use it.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am wondering how ya know its working ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the barrel chrome lined? If it is, I would not bother. There are no pores for the DBC to embed in.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PA_Bob
I received my first AR for Christmas, a Ruger AR-556. Haven't fired it yet, wondering if I should Dyna bore coat the barrel before christening it? I'm also new to the Dyna-Tek bore coat--have had the product for sometime, yet to use it.

1. Dyna-tek bore coat is no longer listed as a product on the web page www.dyna-tek.com. Which is on the package for product support.
2. The instructions on the package are incomplete and vague.
3. The company has not responded to 5 emails asking for help or if they even support the product anymore. Guess instead of being nice I should have pulled a little twig Peterson brass type complaint. At least they might respond.🤬
If you do have problems, Nobody but Nobody is going to help you.
My advice is to really think hard on it, I mean really hard. Myself, what I have left in the bottle is going to be executed by a 50 grain BK @ 4000 fps out of a Swift. That’s all it’s fugging good for.

Last edited by Swifty52; 12/29/18.

Swifty
PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Is the barrel chrome lined? If it is, I would not bother. There are no pores for the DBC to embed in.

Ruger website says nothing about chrome lining.

IC B2

PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by misser
I am wondering how ya know its working ?

'Zactly!!...but the oft-maligned and occasionally missing "directions" for the bore coating include references to the bore being cleaned down to bare metal prior to installation/swabbing. Hence the opportunity prior to fouling it all up....less work for me in the long run.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the barrel is stainless or chrome-moly I'd treat it.
If chrome lined or melonited I wouldn't.
The gun was probably test fired so you still need to clean it throughly before treating.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have owned several rifles with chrome-lined bores, and have yet to find the chrome prevents fouling. It may slow it down, but doesn't prevent it.

I DBC'd the chrome-lined bore of a new Bushmaster AR-15 purchased in 2007 before ever firing the rifle myself. Haven't cleaned the bore exactly once since, after 200+ rounds. It not only doesn't show any trace of copper-fouling but shoots the same way it did when new, extremely well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by NVhntr
If the barrel is stainless or chrome-moly I'd treat it.
If chrome lined or melonited I wouldn't.
The gun was probably test fired so you still need to clean it throughly before treating.

From the Ruger website: "Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. The 1:8" twist rate stabilizes bullets...."

Appreciate your opinion. I think I'll clean it well, treat it with bore coat, and schedule some range time.

PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have owned several rifles with chrome-lined bores, and have yet to find the chrome prevents fouling. It may slow it down, but doesn't prevent it.

I DBC'd the chrome-lined bore of a new Bushmaster AR-15 purchased in 2007 before ever firing the rifle myself. Haven't cleaned the bore exactly once since, after 200+ rounds. It not only doesn't show any trace of copper-fouling but shoots the same way it did when new, extremely well.

Great testimonial/case report. I will clean and treat. Thanks!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I've got a couple of the old "original" Bushmasters that are chrome lined. I've yet to ever get any copper fouling to amount to anything out of either barrel. I wonder why all hunting barrels aren't chrome lined after seeing how "slick" the old bushmaster barrels are. I Dyna-Tek all my other new barrels after cleaning them before I ever shoot them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.