Print Thread
Hop To
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What do you guys eat for breakfast and dinner while hunting/camping in cold weather. I didn't ask about lunch because most of us are probably away from camp and usually eat a sandwhich or something similar, what I'm interested in finding out are new ideas for breakfast and dinner. What do you guys make thats quick, nutritious and warm?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, when we take the Taj Mahal hunting (Prowler travel trailer), we wake up 'Henri', the french chef, a couple hours early and have him whip us up some crepes, poached eggs, minute steaks, and fresh squeezed juice, if we can find fresh oranges in the store on the way up. That usually holds us over until about 10 AM or so, when we meet 'Henri' at a predetermined spot for....this is about the time I wake up from my dream and realize where I am-<BR>Aw heck, we usually have coffee and instant oatmeal of some flavor. If we have a little extra time in the morning, we whip up some scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, and warm up some tortillas and have breakfast burrittos. No matter what, we usually don't leave camp until we've had a couple cups of good, hot coffee- strong enough to float a 225 grain Hornady in. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] This usually holds me over just fine until lunch time in the field. Dinner is usually pretty creative. We've had anything from Dinty Moore beef stew, to Cordon Bleu chicken prepared ahead of time at home, to Salmon steaks or T-bones. We usually eat much better at hunting camp than at home because of the calorie requirements in rough conditions. Pasta dishes of almost any type are also a real favorite and usually easy to prepare.<P>What do you guys cook when you are back late into camp and you're just too tired to cook a complicated meal but you have to get something into your stomach?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
[img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <P>My plan for this upcoming trip is gut-sticking oatmeal and coffee in the a.m. and elk steak, rice and salad for dinner. Not very original but it works, certainly someone has other good ideas....let's hear 'em boys. (yes, you'll be saving my butt, I'm leaving today and need some help for meal ideas. I'm in charge of grub)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spike,you would not care for my Hunting Food. I never eat breakfast,I never eat lunch and seldom eat a warm dinner. I can run on water and Pop Tarts,for days. It drives my partners nuts.<P>Were I expected to entertain,I'd buy a case of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and a shiny new can opener.<P>Food rates as the least of my concerns,it really doesn't matter to me. Though I pretty much require coffee!<P>The kids are figuring this out,because they know I don't bring anything to eat,even on a daylight to dark Fishing Trip,in mid-summer. They have their own backpacks and the saying here is,"if you're hungry,it's your own fault!". The boy doesn't play. He packs a backpack FULL of stuff to graze on. Sister,doesn't require near as much,but still fends for herself.<P>I can run all day on a cup of coffee and two Pop Tarts. I always figured I could eat my fill,when the adventure was over!..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Truck tent camp, load coffee pot night before, start fire with pot on stove. When aroma fills the tent, with heat to boot, slip out of bag, drink coffee while dressing. Sausage, eggs, potatoes, biscuits, syrup, and much coffee. Lunch, sandwich away, in camp turkey, cure 81 ham, build your own to fit mouth. Supper, if a kill, liver, heart, onions fried in, fried sliced potatoes, biscuits. Many snacks,peanutbutter cheese crackers, cookies, milk, orange juice, cokes, Evan Williams. Never heard of a camp without chili, stew, Vienna Sausage, and a big box of goodies. Food is a special thing on my camps and around the campfire. Everyone goes to bed content and warm. Propane heater warms the tent while wood stove is loaded the night before. If the creeks are up, trout is always a favorite. Boggy and I drew a blank this year, no trout or campfires. Hot,dry,no water,dust everywhere. <P>Hunting trailer, just like home, lights, gas stove with oven, cook whatever we want. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Need One,<P>I want to hunt with you!!!<BR>Sounds like you eat like a king [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>I always liked Deer Tenderloin wrapped in Bacon on the grill. It don't get much better.

James
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Breakfeast are usually eggs, home fries, ham or pancakes, some ceral. Dinners range from Spaghetti, rueben sandwiches (which are quick), Enchilada casserole,chile, hamburgers and beans, steaks and vegetables. In our camp, sleepng comfortable and god food are paramonut. One thing you dont want to do is to change your diet drasticaly bringing on consipation or diarharea. The spaghetti seasoning can be mixed up ahead of time, the pasta gives you carbs which are great. This is a traditional on the day before season opens.We all cary small stove sin our saddlle bags and eat a lot of noodle for lunch, make coffee or hot chocolate .These can easily be carried in a backpack. Note these meals are on pack trips , not hunting frm a truck, so it's possible anywhere.Tried MRE's on goat hunt once and almost starved. Stay away from chocolate bars.but eat a lot of hard atck, etc during the day. Snack all day long i the high country to keep energy up

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
kg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We usually fire up the gas grill, at home, a couple of days before we leave. Steaks, pork chops, etc. Then we put all the food in "food saver" bags and freeze them flat. Before we leave we load up a cooler with all the frozen food. In camp, we just get a pot of water boiling in camp to heat everything up. (The "food saver" bags are also "boil-in -the-bags"). Quick, easy and pretty good grub without any cooking. The meat will get over-done, so we try to slightly undercook the meat before freezing. Last trip I had it too "undercooked ' and wound up having to fry it to get it done, but it usually works great. We even do omelets and homemade biscuits sometimes, just don't let the vacuum suck the air out of the biscuits...they become doughballs. I hate to cook and hate dishwashing even worse...this way we eat good and don't even have dirty dishes if you take paper plates. Seems to work good for me...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Usualy venison sausage,( grilled, fried, or boiled ) a slice of light bread, and a little mustard. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cold weather hunting, you asked? Sometimes it gets cold during moose season where I hunt in Alaska, but for the past few seasons it has been warm to cool only. We ride our ATV's eight miles of a muddy trail, and on the highest point of the trail we set our campsite with two weeks food and water supply. Depending on the day, for breakfast I may have one of the following: Oatmeal with toasted bread, scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage, blueberry pancakes with bacon or sausage topped with maple syrup, and sometimes cheerios with milk when I want to go hunting sooner.<P>For lunch I may have a dehydrated rice and chicken meal or another light meal, and for dinner (around 9:00 PM), I may have grilled steaks with onions and bread, and sometimes a cup of red wine with it. My hunting partners and I have a BBQ grill right in the middle of our campsite where we grill steaks, toast bread, etc. We cook a few other meals that I didn�t mention here. <P>I also keep a bag (on my ATV rack) with water, a propane stove, propane, warm gear (hat, gloves, etc), extra ammo, a knife, first aid kit, a couple of lighters, surveyor�s tape, dehydrated food, tuna meals, tea, cocoa powder, sugar, etc. I sit out of view watching for moose, and right there I warm my food, drink tea, etc. I only get up from the chair when I have to �drain the water from my can of olives.� Yes, I still have managed to kill a moose each year, even if I get up to hunt in the middle of the day. We sure have a good time when hunting! I can�t wait for the next moose season<P>By the way, if you think my hunting partners and I take too much stuff out there, you should see how much a group of friends of ours take with them. There are six of them, each on an ATV and meat trailer loaded with camping/hunting gear, coolers, and all kinds of food. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You northern boys should be the experts on cold weather. I don't get all that cold where I hunt but if it is I think you need a little grease for your stomach to build a fire with.<BR>Fry up as much backon as you want and set it out of the pan. Cut up a potato in the grease and fry it til it is nice and brown then dump the crumbled bacon back in and bust up some eggs in there. Stir it all up and cook it done. Sprinkle a little hot sauce on there. Scoop it up with warm flour tortillas.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dice a lb. of bacon in the skillet, brown it, slice red potatos on top, flip everything with a spatula. Of course snitching pieces out of the skillet is acceptable. When it is all done throw in the venison steaks in the cleared out center. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat right out of the skillet until full then cover the left overs. Fire up the skillet in the morning and "its breakfeast!" <P>Only two important tips: 1) never drain the grease. 2) never lift the lid in the morning until you hear bubbling. Rick

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
H
H
STick I swear, I never leave home without my pop-tarts!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (325wsm1, 10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 13,825 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,002
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.