Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
If I was really wanting a 6.5-06 performance I would buy a .270 Win. rifle and I doubt you can tell a difference in the field between the two.

Agreed.

Or I'd build a 6.5 PRC, a 6.5-06 in factory guise.

But it's all fun and games, so a guy should just do what he wants and brag about it on the intra-net to the applause and criticism of complete strangers!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by szihn
I may be a kill-joy and I am not trying to create a conflict, but I do always try to interject truth and facts into the discussion.
Here are some facts that most of the worshipers of the demi-god called "BC" seem to be unaware of.

If we look at a BC of about .480 (which would be many of the bullets you can fire from a, 30-06 some of the good 7MMs or some of the flat base 270s) and we start that bullet out at 2900 FPS with a zero at 300 yards and we track it's trajectory out to 900 yards we will find the impact is 24 feet low if we held the cross-hair dead on that 900 yard target.

If we look at a BC of about .600 (like some of the better 6.5 MM bullets) and we start that bullet out at 2900 FPS (which a 6.5-06 may do and a 264 Win Mag can do with no problem) with a zero at 300 yards and we track it's trajectory out to 900 yards we will find the impact is 20.5 feet low if we held the cross-hair dead on.

So at 900 yards the difference is 3.5 feet. 42 inches. That's it and that's all. If we look at the highest of the 30 cals, 7mms and the 270s for BC, we get numbers in the .49 to .525 range and that makes for a difference at 900 yards of only about 2 feet 3 inches. 27 inches! That's all! (but note, some 270 Winchesters , all 270 Weatherbys and Short mags, and the long barreled 30-06s, as well as the 300 mags and the 7MM Mag can all drive their bullets faster then most of the new 6.5MM shells can, so at 900 yards the difference would be even less then those I show here)

If we are speaking about hunting (or combat sniping) we have to acknowledge that we have no advantage at all, of one rifle or cartridge over any other, if you can't make a 1st round hit from a cold bore. That means if we had a 30-06 with 1/3 MOA capability and a '6.5anything' with a 1/3 MOA capability, both can hold a group at 900 that will get the job done. If we zeroed both rifles spot on at 900 yards and asked any reader here to make a 1st shot cold-bore hit 100% of the time on an 8" target with no misses ever, even with all conditions known, on a groomed field, with the exact distance known and no tricky angles and no tricky wind patterns, what percentage of us can do it?

So if you can't do that 100% of the time you have no ethical reason to try it on an un-wounded game animal.

If you are in the small percent of men or women who can hold that well, and break the sear that precisely, at that range, 100% of the time, you have the skill to do it with any round or rifle accurate enough to put 100% of it's shots into 8" at 900 yards, so BC is not really anything to worry about in the 1st place. At lest not the difference in BCs from the standard 30-06, 7MM or 270, as compared to the new super-slick 6.5 MMs.
We are not talking about comparing a 150 grain flat nose 30-30 to a .600 BC here------ or some pistol bullet.

If you can hold well enough to make a hit you can hold it.

If you can't don't shoot, even if you could miss with a round that shot 2 feet flatter.

It's just a large load of salesmanship as a rule.

Is the 6.5-06 a real good tool for hunting?
Yes!

Just like MANY other rounds are too.
A better question is "are you the "king of all non-dangerous game shooters"?

This is 98% about the shooter and 2% about the tool he is carrying.

The glaring omission in this discussion of why BC is not important is wind drift. Wind drift is the one indeterminate variable that long-range shooters deal with. And THE major source of error in long range shooting is estimation of wind speed and direction between the shooter and target. A higher BC lessens wind drift and lessens the effects of errors in estimating wind speed and direction.

Of course anyone who actually shoots long range knows this.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
^
^
^
This is true, but again is is not near as large a gain as most seem to think it is. It does lessen the drift.
To use the above example again if we look at the drift of the .480 bullet at 2800 FPS from the muzzle (again think of an old fashioned 30-06 as an example) and we fire it in a full value wind, the drift at 1000 yards is 13.59 MOA. The .600 bullet fired at the same speed the drift at 1000 yards is 10.04
So all the hoopla aside, in the real world it's still only a 21% advantage. About 1/5th less drift.

Now if you dial for wind you would click another 1-2 clicks with the 30-06 over the 6.5-06.

If you hold for wind you would hold 3.55 MOA more which is about 1 mil.

So if you can hold well enough to make a difference it is no harder to hold 1 mil more with a 30-06 then it is to hold 1 mil less with the 6.5MM. but it's still the shooter and his skill that makes the difference, not the drift.

So I think the point is made...Is there anything wrong with a small ballistic advantage?
NO! NOT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

But the gun-rags and the internet articles of today try to convince the shooting public that if they buy "the latest greatest wizz-bang uber modern space gun" they are going to shoot better.

No..........they are not!
Not at all.
Not even a little.

They re going to shoot as well as their skill will allow.

If I were assigned to make a squad of the best marksman I was able to make out of 10 average shooters/hunters and I had a budget of, let's say, $2000 per shooter, I know I would NOT buy them new rifles in a "super slick High BC (or BS) round" I would spend $2000 on each shooter for ammunition components and a few new barrels, and put them through a 6 month course of training.

I am not against any of these shells. I made guns to earn my living. I want to make them for those that ask me (or I did, until I stopped taking more work because of my age and the length of my back-log) because I want their business.
But I am not willing to let them believe a lie and just go along with it, so I can make some money. Doing that makes them distrust me later when they learn the truth, and they will!

When I make such a rifle for someone I tell them the truth of what I am making for them, what they can expect, what it WILL NOT do, and I want them to know they can trust me to be square with them.

The unvarnished truth is that spending $2000 on ammo and maybe a barrel job or 2 is going to make them a FAR better shooter then spending that money on a new gun that shoots a slimmer more slippery bullet, but didn't do a thing to increase their skill.

It's the shooter, not the rifle that matters.
98% the man and 2% the gun

Last edited by szihn; 12/29/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You asked, I answered.

Roger.

Allow me to rephrase:

What will the 6.5-06 do that a 7mm-08 won’t, using less powder, that is significant inside of 500 yards?

P

What will the 7-08 do that a 6.5 Creedmore, .260 Remington, or Swede won't, using a lighter bullet with less recoil, that is significant inside of 500 yards?

Probably not much, but I’m not calling it the king of anything.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
^
^
^
This is true, but again is is not near as large a gain as most seem to think it is. It does lessen the drift.
To use the above example again if we look at the drift of the .480 bullet at 2800 FPS from the muzzle (again think of an old fashioned 30-06 as an example) and we fire it in a full value wind, the drift at 1000 yards is 13.59 MOA. The .600 bullet fired at the same speed the drift at 1000 yards is 10.04
So all the hoopla aside, in the real world it's still only a 21% advantage. About 1/5th less drift.

Now if you dial for wind you would click another 1-2 clicks with the 30-06 over the 6.5-06.

So if you can hold well enough to make a difference it is no harder to hold 1 mil more with a 30-06 then it is to hold 1 mil less with the 6.5MM. but it's still the shooter and his skill that makes the difference, not the drift.

Missed the point entirely. Which is, estimating wind speed and direction is always imprecise and always a source of error because wind is not constant in speed or direction all the way out to the target. So it's not a matter of "simply holding 1 mil more with a .30-06." It's a matter of lessening the effects of your errors in estimating wind speed and direction.

And the better BC reduces the effects of your errors in estimating wind speed and direction by reducing wind drift. So if you want to see the difference in a bullet with .a 480 BC vs. one with .600 BC, run some different scenarios to see what the effects are when your wind speed estimate is off by 5 (or insert your # here) mph.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Missed the point entirely. Which is, estimating wind speed and direction is always imprecise and always a source of error because wind is not constant in speed or direction all the way out to the target. So it's not a matter of "simply holding 1 mil more with a .30-06." It's a matter of lessening the effects of your errors in estimating wind speed and direction.

And the better BC reduces the effects of your errors in estimating wind speed and direction by reducing wind drift. So if you want to see the difference in a bullet with .a 480 BC vs. one with .600 BC, run some different scenarios to see what the effects are when your wind speed estimate is off by 5 (or insert your # here) mph.

And using the OP's load of 2800, which, too me, is a bit on the slow side.....

I'm running 130 VLD's at 3150 in a 26" tube in a 6.5-284......5 MOA of 10 mph wind at 900.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
If I was really wanting a 6.5-06 performance I would buy a .270 Win....

that or... a factory available brass 6.5-284

What will the 7-08 do that a 6.5 Creedmore, .260 Remington, or Swede won't, using a lighter bullet with less recoil,
that is significant inside of 500 yards?

They all sound like way too much gun for many folks that don't have call to to shoot over 200 yds ..

...a pussycat 6.5 Grendel would be sufficient for many folks needs....??.. grin

I sure wish the ubercool mini Howa Grendel had been around some yrs ago ...

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
are we ready for the “bullets matter more than headstamp” yet?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Some people are racists against 6.5’s. 🤪

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
are we ready for the “bullets matter more than headstamp” yet?

Only if we can pry our cold dead buns off the couch......

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, that's a mighty wide paint brush young sprout. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
^
^
^

So I think the point is made...Is there anything wrong with a small ballistic advantage?
NO! NOT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

But the gun-rags and the internet articles of today try to convince the shooting public that if they buy "the latest greatest wizz-bang uber modern space gun" they are going to shoot better.

No..........they are not!
Not at all.
Not even a little.

They re going to shoot as well as their skill will allow.

If I were assigned to make a squad of the best marksman I was able to make out of 10 average shooters/hunters and I had a budget of, let's say, $2000 per shooter, I know I would NOT buy them new rifles in a "super slick High BC (or BS) round" I would spend $2000 on each shooter for ammunition components and a few new barrels, and put them through a 6 month course of training.

I am not against any of these shells. I made guns to earn my living. I want to make them for those that ask me (or I did, until I stopped taking more work because of my age and the length of my back-log) because I want their business.
But I am not willing to let them believe a lie and just go along with it, so I can make some money. Doing that makes them distrust me later when they learn the truth, and they will!

When I make such a rifle for someone I tell them the truth of what I am making for them, what they can expect, what it WILL NOT do, and I want them to know they can trust me to be square with them.

The unvarnished truth is that spending $2000 on ammo and maybe a barrel job or 2 is going to make them a FAR better shooter then spending that money on a new gun that shoots a slimmer more slippery bullet, but didn't do a thing to increase their skill.

It's the shooter, not the rifle that matters.
98% the man and 2% the gun

Agreed to an extent. Our fellas had .500 BC bullets 10-15 years ago in 300 Wins and thought they were crazy to have such a powerful combo as compared to the older 7.62 LR rounds, now they’re getting into the .700’s and think how the hell did they get by without them... it isn’t because they are less skilled shooters, it’s because the added BC helps with a wind call which even the best folks I’ve seen aren’t perfect and I think what Smokepole is saying that all else being equal he will take the higher BC’ed bullet and enjoy a little less critical bullet.

I like BC on a bullet but like a lot of others here don’t seek the highest BC bullet above all else, but if two perform similar on animals I can’t see a good common sense reason to not use them.

Anyway you look at it, we have equipment that is far superior to what our dads had. I’ve compared the 147 ELD at 2775 from my little 6.5 to a 300 Win with a 180 Partition at 3050.. kinda hard to really say one or the other is a better deer killer when at distance the little squeak really sneaks up on the old 300.

I’m not changing out for all the other latest but they are pretty danged capable.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by guyotrd
After some feedback from these forums I have locked down my no-DG hunting gun and wanted to share my observations and solicit feedback. It may just be the perfect solution for everything but rabbits and dangerous game. In other words Coyotes - Elk

The gun is a Sako 85 Hunter which I bought pre-owned at Cabelas with the original 30-06 barrel in a box and an unmarked 6.5-06 barrel in a 22.25 in length on the gun - 1:9 twist. I had it verified and stamped by a gunsmith before I shot it. The scope is a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5 - 16 x 50 scope Mil Dot Reticle with Sako Rings. The rifle and scope weigh 9.4 lbs. The Bushnell seemed a good value at the time for less than 600 dollars.

After much reloading I have settled on a Hornady 143 ELD X with 51.4 g RL 22, WLR Primer in 25-06 Brass necked up with Redding Dies. I am getting 2806 fps measured with a Magneto at 5500 feet elevation in 70 degrees in an indoor range. The rifle is shooting .75 to 1 in groups for the first two sets of three rounds - The Sako locking mag which I actually like carries 5 rounds a nice advantage over the 6.5 PRC and other magnums and short fat cartridges

At 8500 feet and 35 degrees, 200 yd Zero - where I hunt the federal ballistics calculator shows it will carry the minimum Colorado recommended energy of 1500 and velocity of 2000 out to 600 yds for Elk - the recoil energy is 14.62 lbs and 10fps. Perfect for me.

The rifle has excellent balance, the barrel is heavy enough to shoot 10 - 15 rounds for practice and the scope seems well made, has accurate adjustments, parallax to 10 yds and seems to have better glass than my Nightforce NXS (which does have better turrets and seems more durable) the scope also has a no questions lifetime transferable warranty. The Hornady bullets are inexpensive, easy to load and while I have not verified, are supposed to be deadly at almost all hunting ranges. The brass can be easily made from 25-06, 30-06 and 270 - the most plentiful brass on earth.

The 6-5-06 has significantly more velocity than the much celebrated 6.5 CM, perfect recoil, and is very close to the new 6.5 prc (in the same sized barrels) the hornady ammo lists 2960 in their factory PrC ELD-X load. I imagine my exact load would easily make 2860 in a 24 in barrel. The load appears to be just as accurate as the much hyped new 6.5's and I do not think it is an overbore, but this is subjective.

I wish the scope had MOA hash marks on the reticle to match the turrets instead of mil dots, and I really like illumination which this one does not have although the glass is so bright I have great visibility in the before and after sunrise/sunset realm when the Elk are most active. I am thinking about getting Nikon Laserforce Bino's and Kenton Custom turrets to expedite the shot. For the next barrel I am considering a 24" for more velocity from Mark Chanlynn who has an excellent reputation and is local to me here in Longmont Colorado. I would probably move to a 1:8 twist in the new barrel as it is supposed to be optimal for larger bullets over 130 although perhaps I should not fix something that aint broken.

I would appreciate opinions in this. I was never able to get the 140 Nosler AB's to group. I am considering either a Swift 120 A frame or Nosler 130 AB for smaller game although I like one powder, one bullet for everything and might just let it be.

I would love to hear feedback on this project from others.

Is the 6.5-06 the king of all non-dangerous game cartridges?

It isn't in my mind, but my preferred long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the long obsolete and slightly slower 256 Newton.

Robert Frost once wrote the following: "Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.". Compared to the 270, the 6.5-06 is clearly the road less traveled and if that makes a difference to you, that's all that really matters.

I owned a couple of 6.5-06 back in the days before the VLD components bullets came on the scene and came to believe that they were little more than inconvenient 270s. That may have changed with the advent of VLD bullets, but how often are you likely to shoot anything that is beyond the effective range of a 270 loaded with comparable bullets?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
maybe it's about not having to use a 270 with comparable bullets.....

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by guyotrd
After some feedback from these forums I have locked down my no-DG hunting gun and wanted to share my observations and solicit feedback. It may just be the perfect solution for everything but rabbits and dangerous game. In other words Coyotes - Elk

The gun is a Sako 85 Hunter which I bought pre-owned at Cabelas with the original 30-06 barrel in a box and an unmarked 6.5-06 barrel in a 22.25 in length on the gun - 1:9 twist. I had it verified and stamped by a gunsmith before I shot it. The scope is a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5 - 16 x 50 scope Mil Dot Reticle with Sako Rings. The rifle and scope weigh 9.4 lbs. The Bushnell seemed a good value at the time for less than 600 dollars.

After much reloading I have settled on a Hornady 143 ELD X with 51.4 g RL 22, WLR Primer in 25-06 Brass necked up with Redding Dies. I am getting 2806 fps measured with a Magneto at 5500 feet elevation in 70 degrees in an indoor range. The rifle is shooting .75 to 1 in groups for the first two sets of three rounds - The Sako locking mag which I actually like carries 5 rounds a nice advantage over the 6.5 PRC and other magnums and short fat cartridges

At 8500 feet and 35 degrees, 200 yd Zero - where I hunt the federal ballistics calculator shows it will carry the minimum Colorado recommended energy of 1500 and velocity of 2000 out to 600 yds for Elk - the recoil energy is 14.62 lbs and 10fps. Perfect for me.

The rifle has excellent balance, the barrel is heavy enough to shoot 10 - 15 rounds for practice and the scope seems well made, has accurate adjustments, parallax to 10 yds and seems to have better glass than my Nightforce NXS (which does have better turrets and seems more durable) the scope also has a no questions lifetime transferable warranty. The Hornady bullets are inexpensive, easy to load and while I have not verified, are supposed to be deadly at almost all hunting ranges. The brass can be easily made from 25-06, 30-06 and 270 - the most plentiful brass on earth.

The 6-5-06 has significantly more velocity than the much celebrated 6.5 CM, perfect recoil, and is very close to the new 6.5 prc (in the same sized barrels) the hornady ammo lists 2960 in their factory PrC ELD-X load. I imagine my exact load would easily make 2860 in a 24 in barrel. The load appears to be just as accurate as the much hyped new 6.5's and I do not think it is an overbore, but this is subjective.

I wish the scope had MOA hash marks on the reticle to match the turrets instead of mil dots, and I really like illumination which this one does not have although the glass is so bright I have great visibility in the before and after sunrise/sunset realm when the Elk are most active. I am thinking about getting Nikon Laserforce Bino's and Kenton Custom turrets to expedite the shot. For the next barrel I am considering a 24" for more velocity from Mark Chanlynn who has an excellent reputation and is local to me here in Longmont Colorado. I would probably move to a 1:8 twist in the new barrel as it is supposed to be optimal for larger bullets over 130 although perhaps I should not fix something that aint broken.

I would appreciate opinions in this. I was never able to get the 140 Nosler AB's to group. I am considering either a Swift 120 A frame or Nosler 130 AB for smaller game although I like one powder, one bullet for everything and might just let it be.

I would love to hear feedback on this project from others.

They are all great, put them all in a hat, pull one out, go hunting!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Then there is the 280?

Schizn writes a lot of good stuff!

Mule deers post is also spot on.......like he was talking to me.

The thing I wanna know is............

So U can hit the beast at 900 yards.....great.

How you gonna find it?

The 7 08 is a short action........I like levers. So there is benefit there over the 06 case.

But like mule deer said I get a new caliber and never really try it out before I get another!

I have pretty much decided I can't shoot very far. So for me I like the 308 win or 300 savage for general hunting,

The 45/70 for close work.

The 30/06 , iif I am gonna pack a bolt action. This is because I have a husky action.....very light.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/29/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the 6.5-06 is King, my 6.5 PRC is 'Prince Rupert Creedleymoor'......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good pic h m 22

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 44mc
good pic h m 22

Huntsman always has good game pics. I especially like his rimfire shots.

The OP appeared to be excited about his new rifle, but that seems to have been lost in all the gack.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
maybe it's about not having to use a 270 with comparable bullets.....

I don't know what that means.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.