Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm gonna go out on the diet limb...

Take bears, depends on what they eat.

Some of the best and worst I've had is nilgai...

Have had a few whitetail we tossed, tasted like pine needles... a couple of mule deer that were strong in summer sausage.

But we eat whitetail all year long, and I've had some mule deer be better than the best white tail.

About the only thing I"ve not had a bad example of is axis. But I'm sure that could be the case depending.

The only thing I've never had a GOOD example of is javelina... and trust me we've tried really really hard. Others say they are great, but no one that hunts em where we do has said they are fit to eat.

Pigs seem to be another example, some very very good. Lots have depended on how they smell when you walk up more so than age or size... I've had 80 pounders bitter and tough and ones over 200 that were great.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know when it comes to processors, it is a crap shoot. We had 3 antelope processed in Montana a number of years ago. We got back someone else's bucks. I think they just figured they could screw the out of town guys because they would never see them again. What they did was guarantee that I would NEVER have a commercial processor do a game animal for me again. If I can't do it, it doesn't get done. I can't stand the thought of eating antelope after that Montana trip and we took really good care of our bucks.

As for javelina, I killed a young one about 30 years ago. I marinated it up and we grilled it just like we would chicken. We ate it at group cookout and the wives couldn't get enough of it. On another occasion, I pit cooked a javelina and some elk. We also had 60 lobsters. The javelina was the first meat to run out. I only ate lobster so I don't know what it tasted like but it must have been pretty good. Those were 20-25 pound pigs. I killed a couple of big ones and nobody could eat them. We don't even try anymore and I don't know why I still hunt them!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've eaten whitetail from Texas, Oklahoma and Wisconsin; and Mule deer from New and Colorado. I can't tell the difference.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.