Print Thread
Hop To
B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just happened to remember there was a discussion on here sometime in the last few years along the lines of, "What's the best/ most accurate bulk ammo?" I put forth a suggestion and someone corrected me that whatever it was I suggested wasn't bulk ammo. Yeah, I missed that part of the question. blush

Anyhow, it just occurred to me.. what is the definition of "bulk" ammo? Is it only the stuff you buy loose in box of 333/ 525/ etc? Because earlier this week, I bought 3 bricks of Geco ammo for 4.5¢/ round + shipping. Does that qualify as "bulk ammo"? After all, I did buy it in "bulk". Or was the price too high? If so, what is the cutoff? grin

FWIW, I have no horse in the race, and not trying to "win" an old argument, just thought it would make for an interesting conversation.

Last edited by bhemry; 12/30/18. Reason: added a sentence at the end
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd say it depends on who you ask.

Most Dems would say any quantity over 10 rounds because that's the mag capacity they say will save the world.

To me bulk is anything over 1,000 rounds.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me, bulk is the stuff that comes loosely dumped in big boxes, which lets the bullets, often already dinged up by the plating process, if any, get banged around more. Probably adds to the number of unexplained flyers you see with cheap ammo.

BTW, I'm agonizing over that Geco. I don't need any, but 2k rounds delivered for under a C-note has me all twitchy. Might make me twitch for another reason if I buy it and my guns don't like it!

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just bought 1600 rounds of Federal 36 grain CCHP that I THOUGHT was bulk ammo but came packaged in 32 boxes of 50 --- not bulk to me, just a large box!!

It was 2.18 cents pre round (assuming I get my rebate).

A couple of years ago I bought 2 buckets of 1400 rounds each of Rem Golden Bullet (36 grain CCHP). That was bulk.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 12/30/18.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My definition - any 22 ammo that is packed in such a manner that each individual round is not separated.

Bulk packed does not necessarily mean inferior in my book though, I have some of the SK Magazine which is bulk packed in a tube type container and is some of the most accurate 22 ammo I have owned. It was purchased during the Obama era because it was available, it shoots so well that I wish I had bought a couple of cases of that particular lot number.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Cheap junk suitable for informal plinking and little else. Usually of sub par accuracy and reliability with inconsistent ignition and velocity. Remington makes a million metric shyttons of it every year, regardless of how it's packaged.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Cheap junk suitable for informal plinking and little else. Usually of sub par accuracy and reliability with inconsistent ignition and velocity. Remington makes a million metric shyttons of it every year, regardless of how it's packaged.

Not my experience at all. I bought the buckets of Rem GBs because I couldn't get what I wanted (WW Power Point) but the Rem was just as accurate in my VQed 10-22 out to 200 yards; shooting Richardson's Ground Squirrels. It groups both the Rem and the WW in a half inch or so @ 50 yards. Both brands (including a lot of target ammo) have a flyer now and then that opens the group to an inch or so.

The Power Points DID kill better at long range due to their large hollow point.

PS: Not one dud in 2800 rounds in those buckets of Rem GBs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have no idea how many sage rats and prairie dogs have died from Remington bulk ammo out of my .22's.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Bulk" to me...means a goodly quantity of a like Lot number(multiple cases) and price means dick.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not my experience at all. I bought the buckets of Rem GBs because I couldn't get what I wanted (WW Power Point) but the Rem was just as accurate in my VQed 10-22 out to 200 yards; shooting Richardson's Ground Squirrels. It groups both the Rem and the WW in a half inch or so @ 50 yards. Both brands (including a lot of target ammo) have a flyer now and then that opens the group to an inch or so.

The Power Points DID kill better at long range due to their large hollow point.

PS: Not one dud in 2800 rounds in those buckets of Rem GBs.
Buy a lottery ticket. Remington rimfire is well known far and wide for it's suckage.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joan,

Your "Pay" slips would denote a RUN to Lottery "ties",as a means "out".

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thinking the "bulk"(loosely packaged) part might be some of the problem with increased misfires in the stuff.

Federal used to cause me the most function problems & Rem had the misfires, now I'm experiencing misfires with the new Fed. The ammo rattling around & the rims hitting together might not be a good thing.

With the prices getting more comfortable all the time, I'm likely to buy nothing but CCI's from here on out.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I consider CCI Blazer my bulk ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bulk & price doesn't necessarily relate to me. To me bulk is numbers. I have certain firearms I label bulk shooters. It's all about numbers, not price. But that's just me. My last 3 rimfire purchases were case lots (5000). That is bulk to me regardless of how it packed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One choice from Merriam-Webster

Not divided into parts or packaged in separate units.

I think I''ll haul my bulk out from in front of this computer, head down stairs, grab a bulk pack of 22's & make rim fire the bulk of my shooting for the day.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bhemry: I consider "bulk pack" ammo to be in amounts OVER 100 rounds!
I was just down in my ammunition locker and saw "bulk pack" containers of 22 rimfire in amounts of 222, 225, 275, 333, 400, 500, 525, 550, 1,400 and 1,600 rounds!
So I am sticking with "bulk pack" being anything over 100 rounds for rimfires.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
bhemry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
gunzo & VarmitGuy, grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 56 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.