Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have been told that the Austrailian government makes it nearly impossible to own and shoot a gun. Since I have fired in matches with a number of Aussies, this doen't sound right. Can anybody set me straight? Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It is bullshit...my wife, our daughter, and I all have firearms licences and hunt...we are ordinary run of the mill people.

Most here locally have firearms, with the cities holding the majority.

If you have a desire to walk around with one on your hip then you are in for some disappointment .

And as for the tools that will come on here and naysay this, have a look at your firearms system around the United States, that and your hunting licence system astounds the heck out of us.

Will say that those who want to use select fire or semi auto will also be disappointed as these will not only cost you an arm and a leg the licences themselves are a pain to chase up...unless you are a cocky in croc country or have "special need" (read that as rich with friends).

The biggest problem here is dickhead coppers who think they are the law, these type pretty much make it up as they go along and it costs you big time to fight the bastards in court...and they know it.

ps, and if any think the firearms checks you lot go through are not a licencing system then I have a great big bridge to sell you.

Last edited by JSTUART; 12/30/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very good response, it sounds a lot friendlier than California

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How to Buy a Gun in 15 Countries

United States
1Pass an instant background check that considers criminal convictions, domestic violence and immigration status. 2Buy a gun.

Australia
1Join and regularly attend a hunting or shooting club, or document that you are a collector. 2Complete a course on firearm safety and operation, and pass a written test and practical assessment. 3Arrange firearm storage that meets safety regulations. 4Pass a review that considers criminal history, domestic violence, restraining orders and arrest history. Authorities may also interview your family and community members. 5Apply for a permit to acquire a specific type of weapon. 6Wait at least 28 days. 7Buy the specific type of gun for which you received a permit.

Can each Territory in Australia. pass gun law like individual states can and do in the USA?

Federal gun law involving sales here is for dealers.
If a citizen where I live wants to sell, trade or whatever a firearm to another in this state, we just do it, no government or paperwork of any kind needs to be involved.
Most all guns outside of full automatic are legal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 700LH
How to Buy a Gun in 15 Countries

United States
1Pass an instant background check that considers criminal convictions, domestic violence and immigration status. 2Buy a gun.

Australia
1Join and regularly attend a hunting or shooting club, or document that you are a collector. 2Complete a course on firearm safety and operation, and pass a written test and practical assessment. 3Arrange firearm storage that meets safety regulations. 4Pass a review that considers criminal history, domestic violence, restraining orders and arrest history. Authorities may also interview your family and community members. 5Apply for a permit to acquire a specific type of weapon. 6Wait at least 28 days. 7Buy the specific type of gun for which you received a permit.

Can each Territory in Australia. pass gun law like individual states can and do in the USA?

Federal gun law involving sales here is for dealers.
If a citizen where I live wants to sell, trade or whatever a firearm to another in this state, we just do it, no government or paperwork of any kind needs to be involved.
Most all guns outside of full automatic are legal.

I and my girls are not members of any shooting club, nor are we likely to be, neither are we collectors.

States make their own laws in respect to firearms...and when they all decide to band together and shaft you...watch out!

And just to make this as plain as I can, politicians are whores of the first order, but have the attention span and average IQ of a dyslexic gnat...EVERY time this stuff is pushed there are coppers up there mouthing the words and writing the script.

Every single time.

Last edited by JSTUART; 12/30/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not too unfriendly in some parts of Cali.

Just had a phone call yesterday (yes, on a Saturday) from the local LEO about my CCW application. Very pleasant conversation, in which he also mentioned he doesn't agree with all the State hoops we (him included) have to jump through. It's nice having law abiding (Constitutionally that is) law enforcement in our county.

Yeah, there's a list of items we're not allowed to have, but in many respects it's not as restrictive as Australia.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
and if any think the firearms checks you lot go through are not a licencing system then I have a great big bridge to sell you.

What checks are you talking about? 4473?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on where you live in the US, and how you go about buying, a person can own one or a thousand guns and never do any checks, registration or licensing of any kind and be completely legal.
If history as is continues the libertards will get that changed one of these days because they keep whining and the gun owners don't do much.
Even the NRA (Not Repeal Anything) isn't doing much if any advocating for less restrictions.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

ps, and if any think the firearms checks you lot go through are not a licencing system then I have a great big bridge to sell you.

Background checks before purchasing from licensed dealers is unconstitutional, despite being current law in the US, however face to face purchases between two private parties (not licensed dealers) is still legal, and must continue to be legal in order for the background check not to transition into a de facto registration system.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by coyote268
Very good response, it sounds a lot friendlier than California

You know better Coyote, you can still own AR's except for the stupid grip fins and then there is the handgun roster. And I believe the Aussies have a lot longer wait to buy a firearms license. My hunting license covers that in lieu of the FSC which is only a 15 minute test and $35 fee. While we have less freedom of choice than other states we still have more going for us than the Aussies.
JStuart can correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't suppressors easy for you to get?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Australia

Are private guns sales, without ANY government knowledge/permission, legal in Australia?

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Australia

Are private guns sales, without ANY government knowledge/permission, legal in Australia?

No. None at all. It all changed post Port Arthur. All must be done through the police firearms registration system. Usually through a licensed firearms dealer, although in some states may be done through police in some circumstances.

All firearms are registered. We have less rights as firearms owners and police check firearm storage of which there are minimum requirements and restrictions on how firearms are stored, such as unloaded, no loaded magazines etc.

It is a freaking nightmare and we are subjects not citizens by virtue of being a law abiding firearms owner.

Police can also search without a warrant in at least some states if they suspect anything.

Plus as mentioned, you get to deal with the police individuals that may not like firearms at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Australia

No. None at all. It all changed post Port Arthur. All must be done through the police firearms registration system. Usually through a licensed firearms dealer, although in some states may be done through police in some circumstances.

All firearms are registered. We have less rights as firearms owners and police check firearm storage of which there are minimum requirements and restrictions on how firearms are stored, such as unloaded, no loaded magazines etc.

It is a freaking nightmare and we are subjects not citizens by virtue of being a law abiding firearms owner.

Police can also search without a warrant in at least some states if they suspect anything.

Plus as mentioned, you get to deal with the police individuals that may not like firearms at all.

So, what if a gun owner and his family are away across country or out of the country on vacation (holiday) when the police want to inspect gun storage? Do they just break down the front door and enter a residence anyway??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

So, what if a gun owner and his family are away across country or out of the country on vacation (holiday) when the police want to inspect gun storage? Do they just break down the front door and enter a residence anyway??
[/quote]

No, normally the police will schedule a mutually convenient time. Of course this all takes police away from other duties. Often the paperwork they bring, listing firearms and cartridges is quite old and deficient.

I got my first firearms licence by going to the police station as soon as I turned 18, no other requirements. I could buy virtually any long firearm I wishes. Owning a handgun was more onerous. Criminals today seem to have no problems with obtained illegal firearms. We the law abiding shooters are severely penalized by the system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for answering my questions rockdoc and Happy New Year to you and yours.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks gonehuntin. A Happy New Year to you and your family too. And to all on 24hr Campfire.

Cheers,

Chris

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.