Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
How does a water heater go out when the thermostats and heating elements are replaceable? I've never had one where they weren't. Unless it's gas, I've never had one of those.

The can and do often start leaking.

Mine had been leaking at the top for some time too, I dunno how long , had no reason to look, the last thermostat/pilot light rod lasted a few years.

The plastic On/Pilot/Off knob is as so degraded it fell apart when I turned it, I turned the remaining base to the correct setting anyway but the pilot wouldn’t light even when the button was pressed. Nope, time to hang it up. I am glad I included a cutoff valve when I ran the plumbing through the wall.

We have HARD water here, after 19 years it’ll be so limed up I dunno how easy it’ll be to move, I’m gonna cut it open when I do replace it just to look.

Hey, I could buy another tomorrow but I’m bound and determined to get free of debt.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
How does a water heater go out when the thermostats and heating elements are replaceable? I've never had one where they weren't. Unless it's gas, I've never had one of those.

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Go gas.. You’ll love it.

I'm pretty sure he said it was a gas unit in the OP.

Course Birdie is educating our youth so I may not be understanding his gibberish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Search Craigs list

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
ya
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Birdy,

Grandma and grandpa lived about 30 miles south of you. They finished the farmhouse somewhere around 1944?

They didn’t have a water heater until like 1962. Just heated water like you are doing on the stove. Remember it well.

Good luck!

Hey, if I can I just stay in debt long enough I figure this whole house will just naturally settle back into the earth and it’ll be me, the slab , and a lean-to.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
ya
Birdy,

Grandma and grandpa lived about 30 miles south of you. They finished the farmhouse somewhere around 1944?

They didn’t have a water heater until like 1962. Just heated water like you are doing on the stove. Remember it well.

Good luck!

Hey, if I can I just stay in debt long enough I figure this whole house will just naturally settle back into the earth and it’ll be me, the slab , and a lean-to.

Hahahahaha!!!
Property tax on a lean-to????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

M
M16 Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Get you one of these. I have one on my skinning rack down at the ranch. Works great!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-4-Gal-Mini-Tank-Electric-Water-Heater-ES-4/206393135

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Birdy,

Good luck!

I took more than a few stove warmed baths as a kid.

Took a couple after the hurricane last year with a big turkey fryer pot and propane cooker.

Sure was nice!

Surprised me how well this bucket thing worked. For the first ten years of my life we had no hot water until we fetched in coal from the shed and stoked a fire, the hot water tank being set in the masonry above and in back of the fireplace. But then folks only bathed once a weeks like normal people. We each did get our own bath water however.........

.......OMG!!! Holy repressed memory Batman!! WE DIDN’T shocked

We did get to bathe one at a time tho.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pull the burner and clean the pilot orifice, thermocouple, and burner. Kill the gas and get out the wrenches. The burner is only held in by the gas & pilot lines and thermocouple cap. tube.
It should get you by until you get out debt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
325.00 for some cheapie at Menards,

But seriously, whats your point and who are you trying to prove this point to?

fugging odd is all I can say.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Folks here in the USA got their hot water that way for ages. My maternal grandmother never had a dedicated water heater in her house her entire life. All the hot water she used at home was heated on her wood burning cast iron cook stove. Her oldest son, never married, lived there with her to make sure she was taken care of until she passed on did the same for his hot water. A little while after grandma died he did replace the old wood burning cook stove with a modern LP gas stove but still heated all his hot water on the new stove. She passed in the early '80s and he several years later. I remember taking baths as a small kid in galvanized wash tubs in water heated on top of the cook stove at a few places we lived back when dad followed construction jobs. Those old early gas water heaters were some pretty scary dangerous sum-biches --- hand lit, open flame burners, 4 1/2' - 5' tall solid iron single wall holding tanks...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well, I've boiled water on the cook stove, even dome that on an electric range when I was out of propane a time or two. Now-a-days, however, we have an in-line water heater, just heats it as it runs through - on demand. No tanks to leak or rust out, no waiting for hot water, or hurrying to get showered before the hot stuff runs out.

In my opinion, this is the only way to go!

Mike Holmes

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sir, I find the degree of your evident hilarity at my downturn in fortune a tad disturbing.

But to answer your question; this is Texas. Property taxes down here on a lean-to on an average quarter-acre will only set ya back about $4,000 a year, maybe 5.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A bit of fun for you Birdie.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Not proving any point, just providing fodder for the ‘Fire wink

You ever been saddled with post-divorce debt? Sooner I clear it the sooner I’m a free man. I’m on a mission and will not be distracted.

OK, I did recently drop $1,200 on that hand-built custom ‘Bess, but that was important grin

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sir, I find the degree of your evident hilarity at my downturn in fortune a tad disturbing.

But to answer your question; this is Texas. Property taxes down here on a lean-to on an average quarter-acre will only set ya back about $4,000 a year, maybe 5.

Gawd ....
Postpone getting outta debt by 1 month or 2 .
And get yourself a hot water heater for gawds sakes ebenezer.
How in the heck did ya get so frigging destitute .
Between not running AC stories and now this.

You got an ex wife
Like judith
Alan's ex wife on two and a half men.

Wait a second
You was talking about saving for some bike trip vacation a couple of months ago????

Dip into that fund and get a water heater.
You can ride a bike anyfriggin time.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My hot water heater is 26 years old. It still works perfect, but it's undoubtedly living on borrowed time. I've been thinking about replacing it just to get it off my mind.

I don't mind having to do without hot water in the event that it goes out. I just don't want the tank to rupture and flood the basement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Not proving any point, just providing fodder for the ‘Fire wink

You ever been saddled with post-divorce debt? Sooner I clear it the sooner I’m a free man. I’m on a mission and will not be distracted.

OK, I did recently drop $1,200 on that hand-built custom ‘Bess, but that was important grin

Never been divorced, thank you Lord.

Post divorce debt? No disrespect intended, but what the hell was there worth fighting over?

For better or worse, it's no wonder she checked out.

Carry on...........................

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.