Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Pushing my tokens to the table and burning points in CO for 2019 Mule Deer hunt.

Using GoHunt as my primary research tool, and I'm getting hung up on which rifle season to choose.

From what I've gathered:

Early Rifle: A few units offer this week long, early September hunt with any weapon that overlaps with archery and smokestick. Upside is getting to tote a rifle during this time. Downside, as I can tell, is this tends to be a rugged hunt with deer up high, moving only first and last light, and now under pressure.

2nd Rifle: Late October. In the woods with the elk hunters. No rut, likely not enough snow to move deer down, etc.

3rd Rifle: Early November. If the weather hits right, deer can be on the move. Rut activity is sparse.

4th Rifle: Mid November. Short season, best chance at rut bucks, best chance at snow moving deer, but also greatest chance at deer being down on private property.

My gut tells me that given my limited time in the unit I choose, I'll want as many days as possible to hunt, and that means no go on 4th season. Other than that, I don't have a good barometer for choosing between Early rifle, 2nd rifle, and 3rd rifle.

Any input from you back pack mule deer hunters?

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 12/30/18.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Not a backpack mule deer hunter, but it would be very difficult to not hunt the rut....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2nd and 3rd seasons have been very difficult at times with deer transitioning all over due to weather and odd rut start times. Not to say big deer don't get killed then, some do. But if I was burning points, it'd be either early rifle or 4th season. Early rifle they are in their summer range and fairly consistent. 4th season rut is on and the bigger bucks come out of hiding. Depends on the unit as to which one may be better. Lot of public land up high and lot of private down low.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For backpack hunting, for me it'd have to be archery, special early rifle, muzzleloader, or 2nd. 3rd and 4th, I'll sleep in a wall tent with wood stove, thankyou.

This 2018 CO buck makes me happy enough. 2nd season.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by T Bone; 12/30/18.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice buck T-Bone. A Colorado mule deer is something I really want to do.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T Bone
For backpack hunting, for me it'd have to be archery, special early rifle, muzzleloader, or 2nd. 3rd and 4th, I'll sleep in a wall tent with wood stove, thankyou.

This 2018 CO buck makes me happy enough. 2nd season.

[Linked Image]

Been debating if we wanted to do 1st rifle elk or combo 2nd rifle elk and mule deer next year. This pushes me towards 2nd season ha. Definitely saw more mule deer than elk on this year's hunt.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Outdoor,

For me the early the early season is the sundae with the cherry on top.

Yes the deer are up high, but the bucks are usually bachelored up. not as wary and depending on the weather they tend to bed down in the open. Find them in mid August and they will be there in Sept.

Since they have been un molested all summer there not as spooky. NO or few hunters to deal with.

Little danger of getting trapped in a huge snow storm......hellish thunderstorms though.

Still my favorite season. Tags not easy to get.

My second favorite is Mid November Bucks are in Rut. Nuff said

Good luck,

Lefty

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks Lefty.

I'm leaning towards finding a 4th season tag with my points, and hoping the weather cooperates to hunt all day with deer moving during the rut.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Wow!! That is a great buck!

Lefty

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Burning a lot of points for the 3rd or 4th season is a big gamble because of the weather.Those high country early hunts are great if you can draw a tag. Don't think you would see any pressure up that high from archers or ML hunters.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
3rd and 4th are delightful if you want to wait 3-10 years to hunt.

I'd rather hunt whatever tag I can get my hands on.

Most often that is archery or 2nd season.

This is my 2017 3rd season buck (not a backpack hunt). Old, big and wide, but after getting drilled through the chest, he rubber legged it right off a cliff! It took me 3 days to find most of the broken side.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by T Bone; 01/02/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those later seasons are close to, or in the rut for sure. But the weather could be problematic so plan accordingly.

I did an early high country rifle hunt a couple years back and wound up hiring a drop camp outfitter. Packing into one drainage, getting a buck, then getting home isn't that big a deal. But spending days and days hopping from drainage to drainage potentially moving camp at 12,000+ elevation was something I realized I could not do after a scouting trip or two. I'm not sure your age or fitness level, but please be realistic. That elevation is no joke. I had a blast, got a decent buck, and do not regret getting packed in and out. You are correct about 3 seasons running simultaneously, no shortage of humans in most all CO backcountry anymore. But, I got my buck 500 yards off a popular hiking trail, at 12,500-ish feet, mind you. But I think I felt more pressured than the bucks did.

Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4th season if your main goal is the deer, early rifle if your main goal is an adventure hunt

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Good input, thank you all.

I'm stuck on a 4th season hunt, wanting to get close to the rut as possible. Thats the plan, now to choose a unit smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You want to do a 4th season backpack hunt? Hmm. Have you ever done a late season. Backpack hunt? Depending on where you go you may have a lot of snow and cold to deal with. In my experience that saps hunters energy quickly. By that time of year usually the big bucks are moving down to lower elevations to find the does for the rut. They may be rutting but maybe not. I helped a friend last year 4th season and it was sunny and fairly warm. 4th season you will have to contend with elk hunters but few deer hunters. It can be a truly fantastic hunt but it's not a gimme for big bucks. Since 4th season is such a limited tag you can ask questions and guys will help with the unit you pick. If I were doing it I'd do a wall tent or camper or even a hotel depending on the area. If you get lots of snow those deer will be down low. I would also plan to be mobile. You will want to look over lots of bucks. I would also show up a couple days ahead if you can so you can scout. Best of luck to you

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Also put in for CO this year. Looking at 3rd season rifle in 22. I have 11 pts, but they go by lowest in the group (9 pts) so not planning on getting drawn this time. I think 10 pts about does it. Anyhow, anyone have experience with that hunt and/or unit that they'd be willing to share?
(We typically do west central Idaho with a wall tent base and then go spike or bivvy. Have quads and Honda trail 90/110's for getting around before backpacking up and in if needed).
Looks like 22 has a bunch of roads, a lot of rolling drainages to look into. Not a ton of elevation. If we get drawn, we'll def do a scouting trip.
Thx -A

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.