Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1899H came standard with a thinner hard rubber buttplate, but could have a shotgun steel style buttplate as special order.

The 1899A SR came standard with a steel shotgun style buttplate, but could be special ordered with a crescent or a thick hard rubber buttplate.

The thick hard rubber buttplates are very uncommon, available only as special order. Can show up on 1899[ABC], any of the special grade guns, probably on 1899H also... (?)

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Rory, is that stock the standard length, with the thick plate adding to lop, or shortened for standard lop ? Assuming there is a standard lop?

12 3/4” from middle of trigger to end of buttstock, 13 1/2” from middle of trigger to middle of buttplate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hey Rick, if you get some free time I wonder how many of these tick buttplates are in your data? Seems I see more engraved guns than I do the thick buttplates.

No help on that question. My data is not detailed enough unless it was engraved. Most of the thick plates I've seen usually had some other special with it. Not a standard on any model.

Arthur was detailed in the Perris letters as how costly it was to install a hard rubber plate vs metal. I think at that time they were only using the leftover "SRAC 303"
plates which were thin. I'm thinking that when later the 1899-H became standard with the thin hard rubber plate that something had changed in the plate material or the installation process.

I think the thick plates were most common in the 1905-1910 period but this is only a guess. Usually with some other special. It was not a standard on any model. I only have one rifle with the thick version, 1899-C, .32-40, PG that shows sold to I.W.King their stock carver.

If I remember correctly the metal shotgun butt plate for a rifle was a no cost option. I don't know that the thick HR plate was even listed.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Old thread with lots of pictures of thick hard rubber buttplates below. Most rifles with this style fall into the 1906 to 1912 range.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5919284/

And in case you wanted to see clear pics of what a brand new one looks like:

Originally Posted by 99trix
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One in the middle in this picture that I took this summer up north, and another on the gun taken apart underneath them.. grin

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a half octagon rifle with the thick plastic buttplate. The buttplate doesn't have the serial number but the buttstock does. Serial #149xxx. The back of the buttstock has to be unmolested or the number wouldn't be visible so it could not have come from the factory with a crescent or shotgun steel BP. The rifle doesn't have any other special features. The BP shows a lot of wear which matches the rest of the rifle.

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/31/18.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Sweet rifles right there 😄

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a .22HP SN 144171 with the thin buttplate. I believe it’s an 1899H manufactured 1913.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don’t know if it is stock or not. The buttstock is numbered several times under the plate and the SN is scratched into the buttplate but the SN on the buttplate is 145171 not 144171 and the buttstock has been drilled out to kind of make a pocket under the buttplate. I can post pics if anyone interested.

Last edited by Savage5516; 12/31/18.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Well used, honest 99’s are out there. Nothing like finding one....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I thought gray rat terminology also included well worn and abused rifles that weren't actually modified by bubba. My jailhouse rat for example. It has been severely abused but not modified except the chunk of wood inserted where a chunk had gone missing behind the tang. That may have been put there to support the tang sight.

Hello David,

If it’s used like you described, then that is an honest rifle for the amount of times it went to the field for duty. Perhaps hard duty like in the back country of Montana or Wyoming. The people who owned that rifle probably have a lifetime of adventurous stories to come with it. It might not be pristine, but it’s an honest gun for what it is. It deserves more respect than to be called vermin IMO.

Happy New Year,
RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Jeff, you are right. I have several well worn Savages that I sure would like know the history. I'm fortunate that I have a lot of history on my Donald MacMillan cased set.
I've added pics here of my 1899 half octagon with the thick rubber buttplate.
overall of the rifle.
[Linked Image]
closeup of the stock and BP
[Linked Image]
BP off the rifle and showing serial numbers on the buttstock and forearm
[Linked Image]
bottom of BP on stock
[Linked Image]
I think I have at least one of each of the early buttplates. Maybe I should do a separate post of all the pre-WWII buttplates. Any interest in that?
David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Maybe I should do a separate post of all the pre-WWII buttplates. Any interest in that?

Absolutely!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is what I've got so far.
1895 plastic buttplate, very rare on an 1895. We've seen one or two on early 1899's. Left overs being used up.
[Linked Image]
Standard crescent used on 1895's, 1899's and 99's until about 1936.
[Linked Image]
unmarked very early steel shotgun type BP. this is on a 1901 production 1899
[Linked Image]
very early Indian logo stamped shotgun type bp. used about 1902-1904
[Linked Image]
Screaming Indian shotgun type BP used from about 1905 to 1926
[Linked Image]
Savage produced a few Schutzen type 1899's about 1914-1915. This one is documented. I don't own this one.
[Linked Image]
Gotta stop and get ready for New Year's dinner. More later.
David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Polecat
We need a new term for this type of rat, maybe a decent rat, nicely done rat or something like that because it's to nice for the usual rat categories.

Lee

I nominate "Squirrel Rat".

Still a "rat", but easier to look at....

An armed society is a polite society.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe just a “Calhoun rat”. Everybody would understand. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Before we get too far along here, remember that they weren't "plastic" as in our modern vernacular. They were a hard rubber composition back then, as plastic, per se, wasn't invented yet.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think savage might have been looking at different composition hard rubber buttplates also,i have one on a early 1899H that appears to be a reddish brown color??? confused

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Loggah
I think savage might have been looking at different composition hard rubber buttplates also,i have one on a early 1899H that appears to be a reddish brown color??? confused
I think it was all the same composition, have been told that if black hard rubber comes into contact with hot water or other heat it can turn brown, this is sometimes seen on Savage pistols, sometimes with one side brown and the other still black. The hardness of rubber is controlled by the percentage of sulfur added for vulcanization, the more sulfur the harder the rubber (30% to 40%). Warming hard rubber grips should produce a strong sulfur smell - a way to tell originals from some modern repo's. Hard Rubbe/Ebonite

From the above link, it appears ultrviolet light can also cause the discoloration, which would explain pistols with only one brown grip.

Quote from above link -
"Under the influence of the ultraviolet portion in daylight hard rubber oxidizes and exposure to moisture bonds water with free sulfur on the surface creating sulfates and sulfuric acid at the surface that are very hygroscopic. The sulfates condense water from the air, forming a hydrophilic film with favorable wettability characteristics on the surface.[5] These aging processes will gradually discolor the surface grayish green to brown and cause rapid deterioration of electric surface resistivity."

Last edited by GeneB; 01/02/19. Reason: added quote

Gene
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.