Print Thread
Hop To
R
RPK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Anybody still using these? And is there anybody left who repairs them if they go bad?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RPK
Anybody still using these? And is there anybody left who repairs them if they go bad?

Yes, I still use them, and like them a lot. I also still use Denver Redfields.

This company still repairs them both. They will even do reticle changes. I'm about to send off a beautiful Denver Redfield to them with post & crosshair that's blurry.

www.ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/home

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an El Paso Weaver on my 1903 M-S carbine. I bought it from Ironsight, actually, since they had one on-hand with the post reticle that I wanted. The scope isn't quite period-correct German but it's not wildly out of place on that rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have several on the shelf, but don't see that I have any mounted.

www.ironsightinc.com does a nice job of rebuilding older scopes, but they are really s-l-o-w, so if you send a scope to them plan on not seeing it for at least 12 months and maybe as long as 18 months.

I had Ironsightinc put their heavy #1 reticle in a pair of Redfield 2-7x32s. The reticles are actually heavier/thicker than they appear on the Ironsightinc site, so heavy that they are great getting onto a target at shorter ranges, but so heavy that they cover up too much of the intended target at longer ranges.

I wish that I had sent all of mine to the guy who used to rebuild Weavers in El Paso, (Ruiz?) ' cause he did 'em fast and cheap.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I love the old Weavers and have them on quite a few rifles. I would like to see the same scopes but with a little better glass and an etched-on-glass reticle. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run several of them with no regrets whatsoever. My pet rifle is a Savage Model 99 EG. It wears a K4 El Paso. I've never had a bit of trouble with this good old scope. Many 99's wear these, and the deer seem to die when I pull the trigger. I also have a 3x-9x x40 Micro Trac on my Mauser. It's a big scope, and a little heavy when compared to newer glass, but it's tough as nails and works just fine. I run another 99, an ES that came with the Japanese made Savage scope on it. I swapped it out for another K4 and never looked back. I've got a K6 that will probably get dropped onto my AR this spring too.

There's better glasss out there these days, and the coating packages have come a long ways, but I still like my old Weavers. They work fine for what I need. I have been looking at the Redfield Revolution scopes, and may try some of them if the need ever arises.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have one somewhere, good for as old as it is.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had Ironsite redo 3 for me, no complaints. One is a 1.5-4 that sets on an AR, another is a K12 that I use for load work up, the third was a K6-60B. It is a small shop, only 3 or 4 employees the time I dropped mine off, takes a while for turn around.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I got 3-4 I'd sell, I think 3 K4's and a K3 nothing wrong with them that I know of but I'm gonna downsize a bit. What are they worth? One of the K4's has super fine crosshairs and a dot rest I think are std crosshairs. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pair of K4s, the nicest one is on a US Rem 1903 and looks just right. It was originally on a new 444 Marlin, back around 1968 or thereabouts. Also have a V12 (4x12x40AO) that I got used back in the early 70s. Been on several center fires, then spent 20 years on a Win. M320 22 rifle. Not in use at the moment.

Got the second K4 several years ago, for IIRC, $20? Good condition, but missing both turret caps. Have a plastic box of Weaver replacement goodies that a buddy gave me years ago, when he was cleaning out some of his dad's stuff. An assortment ofl replacement caps in that box, none of which fit the K4.

They were made to last. Several guys at my club have El Paso Weavers, mostly on rifles that had belonged to their parents and grand parents, still in use.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 12 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.