Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hi All..Was at my local Cabela today...they have a nice S&W M28 4"...$769.99....looks unfired...N248xxx...asked to see it as I have been looking for a decent 4" 28 for a while....
there are trigger locks on ALL their guns on display...sales guy took it out of case and we went to the office so i could give it a close look...he asked if i wanted a flashlight to inspect cylinder and barrel...
I asked him to remove the trigger lock so i could check the timing...said trigger locks cannot be removed from any of the guns...!!!! Said "its not mine....we can't remove the trigger locks".
Told him to have a nice day and left the store...
Pete

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have never heard of that happening before and have never had that issue when I've gone in (even in your store).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
P
pdman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
HEY RyanTX...wellllll....it happened today ...about 2 hours ago....GOD'S HONEST TRUTH......
PETE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Meanwhile, I got a Bass Pro Shops catalog in the mail today.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to their gun library last Sunday and had my first run in with that. Previously none of the rifles in the cabinets had locks, now all of them did. Found a Winchester 69A in very nice condition and asked if I could try the trigger pull. The guy was nice enough about it but said that since Bass Pro took over they don't allow anyone to take the lock off. He was obviously unhappy about it as well since his tone of voice clearly indicated his derision of Bass Pro's policy.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pdman
HEY RyanTX...wellllll....it happened today ...about 2 hours ago....GOD'S HONEST TRUTH......
PETE

Not saying it didn't happen to you, just first I've heard of that happening. Sucks if they've had a lawyer-based policy change.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't remember where right now but some place did that to me. 'Policy' doncha know.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, saw that and was amazed! ALL their guns had trigger locks! Soon they'll be emasculating and removing the antlers from the elk statues.

I haven't bought from them for awhile, prices too high, low inventory. Cabela's sales staff would benefit from a handful of forum members conducting classes on the products and customer service in each of their stores.

I have been finding firearms *in stock* and for substantially less, elsewhere.

Wouldn't be surprised with corporate moving away from firearms sales and concentrating on clothing, bicycles, kayaks, etc. for the urban "rustics" much like REI now having climbing equipment as their smallest department.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Have never heard of that happening before and have never had that issue when I've gone in (even in your store).

Ryan,

Happened to me 3 weeks ago in Eugen Oregon.

Told the sales guy I would never buy a gun if they would not remove the lock... His answer===> 'I don't blame you'

A stupid policy.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I ran into it here about a month or so ago. Told the guy I may consider buying a new firearm there but no way in hell would I buy any used one without checking the trigger. He wasn't happy about it either.

Know two retired gents who were working there for a little extra coin and the employee discount. They both quit when they found out they wouldn't be getting anymore discount.

I've noticed there sales ad's are mainly clothes and a few other accessories, not much in the way of guns. I was told they are also no longer to makes deals on guns.

Seems to me they want to race to the bottom with Gander Mtn.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bass Pro is like Walmart...they've killed all their competition and can do whatever the [bleep] they want. First Sportsman's Whorehouse, then Gander Mountain and now they bought Cabela's. Dick's is a joke. Academy is about the only competition left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the Glendale Cabelas takes 3 hours to conduct a NICS, has 7 employee's check the 4473 and then practically holds my hand to the front door then Cabelas can go pound sand.

....and no the store was deserted and this was over 7 years ago.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is a Cabela's about 30 miles from me...go there maybe once a year. I drive past two more in Massachusetts and Connecticut on the way to see my mom every month. Rarely stop.

In the 10 or so years they have been open have probably bought two used guns that were good deals...other than that they are way over priced.

Would never buy a new gun there unless none of my local ffls could not get it...which would be unlikely.

Bon

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a conversation with the Cabela's Collector Room guy and I mentioned all the trigger locks as a new policy. He told me that the locks don't come off until you get past the check out counter. It seems that some low life walked into one of the Cabela's stores with a .30-06 cartridge in his pocket, found a .30-06 in the collector room and offed himself using it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
I had a conversation with the Cabela's Collector Room guy and I mentioned all the trigger locks as a new policy. He told me that the locks don't come off until you get past the check out counter. It seems that some low life walked into one of the Cabela's stores with a .30-06 cartridge in his pocket, found a .30-06 in the collector room and offed himself using it.

Can't imagine what it must be like to try to buy a knife there now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krupp
When the Glendale Cabelas takes 3 hours to conduct a NICS, has 7 employee's check the 4473 and then practically holds my hand to the front door then Cabelas can go pound sand.

....and no the store was deserted and this was over 7 years ago.

i use to like that store, when i realized their level of ignorance.
i was in the library one day when they were evaluating a m1carbine, declaring it all original. had to look given i have taken apart hundreds of carbines to the itty bitty parts. I told them it was NOT an original, which are rare. They wouldn't believe me. that blue sky stamp on the barrel was kind of a giveaway. I walked out in a huff but got to thinking. maybe they screwed up on the evaluations. three or four guns later i was still snickering when they priced various things below real value.
i always headed to the library for that and the used gun racks.
among other things, i found a first year production danish kraig for about a 100bucks.
I kind of fired them last year, and haven't been in since.
i did get the new card, which i don't intend using as i have no use for the new bank.
Basspro has always irritated me. I went into the store when it first opened in mesa, thos signs for the departments in english as well as spanish kind of got to me. We are not part of mexico yet.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Buy the darn thing. Then it’s yours to remove lock....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't care if a shop has a lock but if they refuse to let me handle it without the lock ,then they can get bent.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The policy of the gun lock has been in effect for at least since October here in Missouri. The last rifle I bought, they actually put on a "cheap take home" lock that stayed on the rifle until I got to me vehicle then removed and threw in the trash. The gentlemen in the Library told me that someone in the Kansas City store pulled ammo from there person at the pistol counter and said Good Bye to the world, hence the reason for the extra security. There were actually several good firearm deals in the last Cabela's I was in but there is no reason it should take close to an hour to do a NCIS check. I was in and out of my local FFL in 5 mins yesterday to include paperwork and check.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had too many birthdays pass me by waiting for a firearm to be processed by Cabelas. I don’t use them for anything other than shipping me things that are mission critical I can’t find stocked elsewhere. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.