Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Perhaps you could list those "equally effective products."

260 Remington
6.5x47 Lapua
7-08 Remington

Are three cartridges that are equally effective, launching bullets with a G1 BC above .65 at 2650fps to 2750fps. The two Remington cartridges were not marketed terribly well and suffered poor uptake leading to poor choices of factory ammunition.

In my experience the Lapua cartridge is slightly easier to get an accurate load for than the Creedmoor, but it is a handloader only proposition (with relatively expensive high quality brass). So whilst it is equally effective, it isn't even close in availability and only appeals to those who build custom rifles and handload. It is not an 'everyman' proposition like the others.

You could also throw 6.5 Swede in there too if you were shooting a Tikka T3 with their medium length action.

Some will say that the 260 gets higher velocities than the Creed, which delivers higher velocities than the Lapua. At less than 70fps between each one that difference is a mind game, not a discernible difference at the point of impact. It is ammunition in summer v winter, a fast barrel v a slow one, a 24in v a 22in barrel.

Similarly, you could add a fast twist 243 and 22/250 in there if companies chose to make them. After all, a 6mm Creedmoor equals performance of a 243 but commonly found twisted to 1:8 or 1:7.5 instead of the usual 243 1:9.5 or 1:10.

I'm not saying the Creedmoor does not deserve a reputation for easy accuracy and useful performance for the everyman. There is no other combination that you could buy from most any sporting goods store that would perform as well out of the box - this is why the 223 is more popular than the 222 or 222 Magnum. I am saying that equal results can be achieved with other cartridges when chambered in rifles with similar specifications and loaded with similar ammunition.

Many years ago the same feverish support was observed around the 270 Winchester and the 300 Weatherby at their respective times so this is nothing new in the shooting world.

Availability off the shelf and being an effective cartridge are not the same thing.

Nice try. But we weren't talking about CARTRIDGES. We were talking about EQUALLY EFFECTIVE PRODUCTS.

If you were to take a Tikka T3 Varmit in each of these cartridges, buy or assemble equal cartridges then it would difficult to spot a difference between them.

Hmm, sounds difficult.

Since they don't sell the T3 Varmit in 260 Remington, 7-08 Remington, 6.5x55 Swedish or 6.5x47 Lapua (NO PRODUCT). (Available in 6.5 Creedmoor.)

And the high BC bullets may not work in the rifle that I can find chambered in 260 Remington, 7-08 Remington, 6.5x55 Swedish (NO PRODUCT). (6.5 Creedmoor; no problem)

And match accuracy ammo is unavailable, hard to find, and/or expensive (NO PRODUCT). (6.5 Creedmoor; no problem)

But keep fooling yourself. They are EQUALLY EFFECTIVE PRODUCTS. It's all just marketing hype. crazy

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Adamjp,

Your response to my question about "equally effective" cartridges was exactly what I expected.

The anti-Creedmoor rifle loonies who inhabit the Campfire (like you) apparently believe EVERY shooter and hunter on earth handloads, and is willing to spend considerable money on custom rifles or rebarreling, to use other 6.5 cartridges than the Creedmoor.

But why should they, when they can buy off-the-rack rifles and factory ammo that will do the same things? I purchased my present 6.5 Creedmoor for the vast sum of $350, and for another $25 can buy a box of factory ammo that groups 5 shots well under an inch. And my rifle's very first 5-shot group at 100 yards with handloads measured .33 inch, which is not exactly an aberration. The other three factory 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned were also very accurate.

In case you might think I'm prejudiced because of only owning and shooting 6.5 Creedmoors, my safe includes a number of rifles in some of those "equally effective" cartridges, including a Tikka T3 .260 Remington, a Douglas-barreled Ruger in 7mm-08, and a "full custom" 6.5x55 with a minimum-throated match chamber in a Lilja barrel. I had to modify the magazine in the Tikka to seat even common hunting spitzers out to the lands, and while the 6.5x55 and 7-08 shoot very well, neither is as consistently accurate , with a wide variety of factory ammo or handloads, as the least-accurate factory 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned.

Yes, there are reasons beside the "recent" publicity on the 6.5 Creedmoor for its extreme popularity. I put "recent" in quotes because the cartridge was introduced a dozen years ago, and has kept growing in popularity since then. Most new factory centerfire rounds only sell well for 2-3 years before starting to fade. That's because publicity can only do so much, and factoryPR departments can only afford to flog some new cartridge for a short time before the cartridge must stand on its own. (In a way, it's like book publishing. If a new book doesn't continue selling after the initial announcement and publicity, then the company eventually quits printing copies, because there's no sense in printing books that never leave warehouses.)

Cartridges that become profitable within that initial period usually stick around for a while, and those that are selling FAR better after a dozen years tend to become world standards, meaning that just about every company making sporting rifles chambers them, and just about every ammunition company makes ammo. That is exactly what's happened with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not only do major American companies produce both rifles and ammo, but so do many European companies--and that trend continues to spread.

One of my friends is a South African professional hunter who also owns a big sporting goods store. A few months ago he told me that the majority of new rifles he sells today are 6.5 Creedmoors. The reason? They work, not just for target shooting but the constant commercial meat-hunting that takes place in SA, since game meat can legally be sold in supermarkets and restaurants. Such meat-hunters like the 6.5 Creedmoor because of its accuracy and light recoil, allowing them to precisely place shots to ruin the least amount of valuable meat, along with affordable, accurate factory rifles and ammo. Such "cullers" are among the most practical hunters in the world, and since they're in business to make a profit, are not likely to spend money on the latest "fad."

But according to you, and others like you, the 6.5 Creedmoor's world-wide and growing popularity, a dozen years after its introduction, is totally due to publicity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Some could hear angels sing from heaven and claim it's just a pack of coyotes.....haters gonna hate

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

A package was created...and then they marketed the hell out of it.

Still trying to figure out what where all this marketing took place. I never have seen an ad for one, but I don't watch outdoors tv or read the gun rags. That being said, based on my own research, word of mouth, and prior knowledge, I picked one up and it does everything I expected it to.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still ain't figured out all the hate over a headstamp. I can only conclude there are more than a few brothers out there named Creedmoor that have knocked up a bunch of white women.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The butt-hurt exhibited by those invested in similar cartridges just goes on and on. Recently, it's started to show up over the 6mm version as well, from folks with .243s and 6x47s who keep pointing out that their pets can do anything the new guy can, from custom rifles with fast-twist barrels and sometimes other custom features, and in the case of the 6x47, requiring necking down pricey Lapua brass. Great fun, all of it, but can't begin to make a ripple in the marketplace against excellent ready to go rifles and ammo. No reason for the whiners to switch over, but also no reason for someone just getting in to take the hard way, unless being different and smarmy is an advantage worth pursuing.

Still baffling to me though, is why anyone gives a fat rat's azz what anyone else uses, like it's a personal slight on their character.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 257 Roberts whiners show a lot of CBHS too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't wait to hear the whiners when a guy can buy an inexpensive factory rifle and launch factory 88 elds at warp speed. That is going to be a monster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

A package was created...and then they marketed the hell out of it.

Still trying to figure out what where all this marketing took place. I never have seen an ad for one, but I don't watch outdoors tv or read the gun rags. That being said, based on my own research, word of mouth, and prior knowledge, I picked one up and it does everything I expected it to.

+1 I hear more about the 6.5 CM on the campfire than anyplace else. I get Handloader and Rifle magazines and don't see many articles or ads there.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The butt-hurt exhibited by those invested in similar cartridges just goes on and on.

IMO,the key is "invested". Once a decision is made to invest in a product, some feel the need to justify that decision, protect that product.

Some truck owners tend to bad mouth other brand trucks, just 'cause...

My truck is better than your truck because it's my truck... wink

Not too different, here. They just can't stand for a new product to challenge or possibly upstage their pet project.

Sounds like grammar school playground logic (that may be over use of the word, logic)... blush

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of that investment is emotional, IMHO. Just when a feller gets to enjoy feeling all special about his toy, somebody comes along and does it maybe just a bit better, over the counter yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A lot of that investment is emotional, IMHO. Just when a feller gets to enjoy feeling all special about his toy, somebody comes along and does it maybe just a bit better, over the counter yet.

You beat me to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a first!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's a first!

grin

I agree, it's all emotional...

Logic wouldn't have a foot hold in some of these discussions.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Adamjp,

Your response to my question about "equally effective" cartridges was exactly what I expected.

The anti-Creedmoor rifle loonies who inhabit the Campfire (like you) apparently believe EVERY shooter and hunter on earth handloads, and is willing to spend considerable money on custom rifles or rebarreling, to use other 6.5 cartridges than the Creedmoor.

But why should they, when they can buy off-the-rack rifles and factory ammo that will do the same things? I purchased my present 6.5 Creedmoor for the vast sum of $350, and for another $25 can buy a box of factory ammo that groups 5 shots well under an inch. And my rifle's very first 5-shot group at 100 yards with handloads measured .33 inch, which is not exactly an aberration. The other three factory 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned were also very accurate.

In case you might think I'm prejudiced because of only owning and shooting 6.5 Creedmoors, my safe includes a number of rifles in some of those "equally effective" cartridges, including a Tikka T3 .260 Remington, a Douglas-barreled Ruger in 7mm-08, and a "full custom" 6.5x55 with a minimum-throated match chamber in a Lilja barrel. I had to modify the magazine in the Tikka to seat even common hunting spitzers out to the lands, and while the 6.5x55 and 7-08 shoot very well, neither is as consistently accurate , with a wide variety of factory ammo or handloads, as the least-accurate factory 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned.

Yes, there are reasons beside the "recent" publicity on the 6.5 Creedmoor for its extreme popularity. I put "recent" in quotes because the cartridge was introduced a dozen years ago, and has kept growing in popularity since then. Most new factory centerfire rounds only sell well for 2-3 years before starting to fade. That's because publicity can only do so much, and factoryPR departments can only afford to flog some new cartridge for a short time before the cartridge must stand on its own. (In a way, it's like book publishing. If a new book doesn't continue selling after the initial announcement and publicity, then the company eventually quits printing copies, because there's no sense in printing books that never leave warehouses.)

Cartridges that become profitable within that initial period usually stick around for a while, and those that are selling FAR better after a dozen years tend to become world standards, meaning that just about every company making sporting rifles chambers them, and just about every ammunition company makes ammo. That is exactly what's happened with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not only do major American companies produce both rifles and ammo, but so do many European companies--and that trend continues to spread.

One of my friends is a South African professional hunter who also owns a big sporting goods store. A few months ago he told me that the majority of new rifles he sells today are 6.5 Creedmoors. The reason? They work, not just for target shooting but the constant commercial meat-hunting that takes place in SA, since game meat can legally be sold in supermarkets and restaurants. Such meat-hunters like the 6.5 Creedmoor because of its accuracy and light recoil, allowing them to precisely place shots to ruin the least amount of valuable meat, along with affordable, accurate factory rifles and ammo. Such "cullers" are among the most practical hunters in the world, and since they're in business to make a profit, are not likely to spend money on the latest "fad."

But according to you, and others like you, the 6.5 Creedmoor's world-wide and growing popularity, a dozen years after its introduction, is totally due to publicity.

Exactly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my sons is due to be "blessed" with a gift of one of my rifles, if he ever shows up to pick one. If, as I suspect, he selects my .308 Hawkeye predator, a 6.5 CM of some sort may well replace it, if it actually gets replaced. Now that I've got a good '06 to shoot up all those .308 bullets, my cheap old soul will have one less reason to stay with the .308. No doubt that in the light rifles I'm coming to prefer, the Creed(s) are more geezer-friendly.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Since you chose to use my "invested" statement from a previous post, I guess having reamers for 22, 6, and 6.5 x47's and 8 or nine guns/ barrels chambered with them, is a bit more than "emotional".

I and others mention a round on the 47 case as another option to look at, not replace or compete with a favorite, nothing more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Late getting back here. I honestly have no idea what that "Hornady marketing hype" is or was or WTF? I don't do cable TV, gun magazines, nada. I heard about it here, read about it online from other users, one gun writer (token gun writer? LOL), bought one, shot it, read more, liked it, bought more, shot more, liked it more, and sticking with it.

Hater be haters. Missing the point ain't "effective." LOL

This is basically how I came to own a 6.5 CM. At first, I'll admit I didn't get it, but the more I looked at all aspects of the cartridge, the more it made sense to me AND being educated by Stick on the subjects of RPM, COAL and throat geometry, I purchased a Barrett FC/6.5 CM and do not regret it in the least.

To somewhat plagiarize: It's about connecting the dots, the FC does this extremely well and so does the 6.5 Creed.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This new fangled 6.5mm CM sounds interesting.

I might have to give it a shot. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Exactly. Another issue is that many Campfire members are, umm, well, 'experienced with birthdays'. By and large, such people (including myself here) are not usually excited about change and newfangled stuff. In fact, they often have a soft spot for whatever was new when they were 30 years old, or what grandpa used, or what their favorite gunwriter wrote about. Plus, they sure as hell don't want to like what those 'wannabe' young new shooters and hunters with their fancy tactical looking equipment like, because us old dudes know so much more, right??. So, it becomes easier to dismiss the new stuff, than embrace it for what it is.

It's not just the Creedmoor. Just tell an old guy about getting 100 fps higher velocities with R26 than H4831 and wait for him to tell you that you are playing fast and loose with your life......

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.